1652 pine tree shilling

Numismatics4life

Feb 24, 2015
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't seem to figure out if this is authentic would someone be able to help me?
here is the coin
medium coin.png coin front medium.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah we really need the weight and diameter. I wish I knew if the color was just from the pic or if that's the actual color. The other issue is that I've never seen or heard of that die crack in an NOE 1. The only one that I'm aware of is a crack at the base of the tree. Guess were stuck until he comes back on....if he comes back on. Or if Don SJ or IP or somebody who's got a great eye for this stuff checks it out

Upvote 0
With out doubt a Fake, the tree and the date are on there side.:laughing7:

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, apparently the O.P. must be stringing everyone along, so he must know the answer to his own question! Besides the color being off, there is no Die Crack on the coin. In fact, it is a crack in the planchet and tells one that the metal is either very soft, very brittle or both. I will vote for both and the dings in the Reverse (Pine Tree side), one inside the circle and to the left of the "I" and the other next to the "N" in "IN", points to this. I vote that it is a counterfeit that has been painted or coated with a Gold paint or substance.

Frank

Upvote 0
Looks like it has very little wear, the date is crisp. The tree has 7 branches each side compared to AHABS which has 5.

Would be awesome if it's real!

Congrats either way great find and a real heart stopper!

Upvote 0
It doesn't look right, but an accurate weight would probably give a definitive answer.

Upvote 0
Looks like a copy of the NOE 1. Hard to tell from the pics but for one the color looks very strange. It may just be the pic. You will hear from a couple of the coin experts on here and get your answers. Here is one that I dug. Is the color of yours kind of goldish or is it more like this?
View attachment 1124242
View attachment 1124243
Can you tell us how you came by this coin? Just curious if it was dug or passed down or what not?

Ahab... I never get tired of looking at your coin. shes a beaut.

Upvote 0
Ahab... I never get tired of looking at your coin. shes a beaut.

Thanks buddy. I'm pretty find of her myself

Upvote 0
strange spot for the hole though...
wonder why they chose the side of the tree.

Maybe to show the tree "felled" ?

Upvote 0
strange spot for the hole though...
wonder why they chose the side of the tree.

Maybe to show the tree "felled" ?

I've been told the colonists likely had no rhyme or reason but I always thought it very interesting that the hole was nestled into the the curve in the S so nicely. I wondered if that wasn't done on purpose but prob not. Sadly I will never know

Upvote 0
you know... everything in those days had some sorta hidden reason/meaning...
Like I said... maybe a sign of "down with the tree" significance.
It was purposely put on side when I look at it... was not random.
Which in my opinion makes it even more unique/rare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that there's a whole lot of symbolism from those times. That sort of thing fascinates me to no end

Upvote 0
Interesting thread, seems like the OP needs to give up allot more info? Winter mysteries? Reminds me of one of WhatIfind's threads, mystery novel. Lets see if you can guess what this is in these pix, mysteries, while all along he knows exactly what in those pix.
My guess is it is a mystery, I know I don't even try to look like I even might be close to knowing. I know I don't know.

Upvote 0
Numismatics4life ???
you still with us ?
with your "TN name" I cannot help the thought crossing my mind that you are a numismatic with an actual Pine that just wants to show it off and sit back and see how we act.
The size and weight can help verify...
and I hope you are legit with this.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
Good Morning Numismatics4Life and all of you fine TNet members,

Could be, or probably not, that is the question. It would be helpful if you related how you happened to own this coin. If it is a copy, and made after 1977, then it should have been marked as such. Right now there are foreign makers of collectible coins who seem to be honing their skills. Their copies are getting better and better, and they seldom mark them as copies. As others have said, weight and other measurements would aid in identification. The slightly off color and clean surfaces are getting in the way of anyone voting that it is a legit piece. I don't think it was an official issue, but still a great piece for "show and tell" at any rate. It might have a little age on it, and made originally as a promo-piece.
I read a story concerning the Pine Tree Shillings years ago. The mintmaster at that time was named Hull. Mintmaster Hull had a chubby daughter he wanted to marry off.
The good mintmaster was quite wealthy. It was quite a process to get coins made back in the days of the Early American Colony. Hull received one coin for every sixteen he produced. So Hull had a balance scale built with two large buckets. One bucket large enough to fit his daughter. When it was finished, his daughter sat on one end, and the mintmaster poured bright newly minted shillings onto the other until the scale balanced. This was a town event so all could see. The shillings were to be his daughter's and her husband's gift for their start in life. Needless to say, the daughter was soon married. That was a fortune back in those days !
Good Luck to All,
Phil

Upvote 0

Could be, or probably not, that is the question. It would be helpful if you related how you happened to own this coin. If it is a copy, and made after 1977, then it should have been marked as such. Right now there are foreign makers of collectible coins who seem to be honing their skills. Their copies are getting better and better, and they seldom mark them as copies. As others have said, weight and other measurements would aid in identification. The slightly off color and clean surfaces are getting in the way of anyone voting that it is a legit piece. I don't think it was an official issue, but still a great piece for "show and tell" at any rate. It might have a little age on it, and made originally as a promo-piece.
I read a story concerning the Pine Tree Shillings years ago. The mintmaster at that time was named Hull. Mintmaster Hull had a chubby daughter he wanted to marry off.
The good mintmaster was quite wealthy. It was quite a process to get coins made back in the days of the Early American Colony. Hull received one coin for every sixteen he produced. So Hull had a balance scale built with two large buckets. One bucket large enough to fit his daughter. When it was finished, his daughter sat on one end, and the mintmaster poured bright newly minted shillings onto the other until the scale balanced. This was a town event so all could see. The shillings were to be his daughter's and her husband's gift for their start in life. Needless to say, the daughter was soon married. That was a fortune back in those days !
Good Luck to All,
Phil

Thats a cool story!

Upvote 0
Does it make me a bad guy to say I'd have married her in a heartbeat lol

Upvote 0
Mr

Good Luck to All,
Phil
Mr Hull almost had his head cut off by the king for making these coins,had to do some serious talking to save himself.Seen a number of Mass. silver over the years never seen one with a golden hue ,most look like that beauty that Ahab has posted

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back