What's new

17 stars, 2 shields, likely 1805ish unknown...

scratcher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
463
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
I'm pretty sure of the date range on this item, but I'm drawing a blank on what it is. I'm sure someone will be able to id it at a glance, but if not I'll post more pics and requested info.
 

Attachments

  • 17stars1.webp
    17stars1.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 17stars2.webp
    17stars2.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 306
  • 17stars3.webp
    17stars3.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 17stars4.webp
    17stars4.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 326
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Watch or clock related?

Absolutely! It's a pocket watch winding key.


:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
It's a broken watch key and it is awsome! If the stars have significance it would date it around 1803 when Ohio became a state.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Watch or clock related?

Absolutely! It's a pocket watch winding key.


:thumbsup:

Thanks for the id, guys! Johnni, I also thought the stars probably signify the 17 states at the time. It was found at a site where 1812 relics have turned up. I realize it could have been dropped later, but it is interesting that this sites area wasn't settled until decades later than even when the 18th state was added in 1812.

Would this have been mass produced or one of a kind? Would only the important or wealthy carry a watch that this went too? thanks
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
It's a broken watch key and it is awsome! If the stars have significance it would date it around 1803 when Ohio became a state.
Why is it broken? It looks whole to me.
 
Upvote 0
La Beep said:
johnnyi said:
It's a broken watch key and it is awsome! If the stars have significance it would date it around 1803 when Ohio became a state.
Why is it broken? It looks whole to me.

I was wondering the same thing, which end inserted into the watch?
 
Upvote 0
La Beep, there was definately a piece that went over the small remains of the top post, most likely a ring or pierced decoration of some sort (so it could be worn.) Without seeing the bottom post it is unclear if that is shortened also, but considering the telltale rust, it too may have been extended a little farther with a steel square holed post which would not be unusual.

Scratcher, again, this is one beautiful key! It is unusual both for its size, but even more so to have what seems to have a patriotic device in the design. It would have been cast from a mold, and in that case is "mass produced", but is still surely rare. Congrats!
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
La Beep, there was definately a piece that went over the small remains of the top post, most likely a ring or pierced decoration of some sort (so it could be worn.) Without seeing the bottom post it is unclear if that is shortened also, but considering the telltale rust, it too may have been extended a little farther with a steel square holed post which would not be unusual.

Scratcher, again, this is one beautiful key! It is unusual both for its size, but even more so to have what seems to have a patriotic device in the design. It would have been cast from a mold, and in that case is "mass produced", but is still surely rare. Congrats!

Johnnyi, from what I can tell, there were no American pocketwatch makers from the time in question. This would, in my opinion, point toward manufacture of just the key in this country. Is that a probability? I suppose they could have been made somewhere else , but that seems unlikely to me. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
 
Upvote 0
scratcher said:
Thanks for the id, guys! Johnni, I also thought the stars probably signify the 17 states at the time. It was found at a site where 1812 relics have turned up. I realize it could have been dropped later, but it is interesting that this sites area wasn't settled until decades later than even when the 18th state was added in 1812.

If the number of stars actually indicates a manufacture date, then yes it is possible for it to have been dropped any time after that. Heck, it is even possible that it was dropped 10 years ago (although highly unlikely). Think about it... Your heirloom watch, or your father's pocketwatch...the winding key could be lost years after it was made. Or the watch could've stopped working or been non-repairable, and they could've tossed the winding key out.


Just like coins, the dates on objects are the Earliest date they could've been lost. We normally think of coins as being easier to date because of wear--but even this is not so accurate. Coins could sit in mint bags for a year or two, or in a jar hidden beneath the floorboards between 1880 and 1900 before passing into circulation.

Copper coins circulated more than silver dollars, halves, and gold coins--so they exhibited wear much more quickly.




There are just a few examples. I like this find very much--it's something I'd love to get my searchcoil over someday.




Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
scratcher said:
Thanks for the id, guys! Johnni, I also thought the stars probably signify the 17 states at the time. It was found at a site where 1812 relics have turned up. I realize it could have been dropped later, but it is interesting that this sites area wasn't settled until decades later than even when the 18th state was added in 1812.

If the number of stars actually indicates a manufacture date, then yes it is possible for it to have been dropped any time after that. Heck, it is even possible that it was dropped 10 years ago (although highly unlikely). Think about it... Your heirloom watch, or your father's pocketwatch...the winding key could be lost years after it was made. Or the watch could've stopped working or been non-repairable, and they could've tossed the winding key out.


Just like coins, the dates on objects are the Earliest date they could've been lost. We normally think of coins as being easier to date because of wear--but even this is not so accurate. Coins could sit in mint bags for a year or two, or in a jar hidden beneath the floorboards between 1880 and 1900 before passing into circulation.

Copper coins circulated more than silver dollars, halves, and gold coins--so they exhibited wear much more quickly.




There are just a few examples. I like this find very much--it's something I'd love to get my searchcoil over someday.




Regards,



Buckles


Completely agree
 
Upvote 0
Well done, Johnnyi ! :icon_thumright:

I suppose that the stars & shields might be symbolic rather than merely ornamental. A number of fraternal orders and other organizations used keys of this sort as membership tokens or badges. Perhaps the best known of these is the Phi Beta Kappa key, shown below.

PhiBetaKappaKey.webp
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Well done, Johnnyi ! :icon_thumright:

I suppose that the stars & shields might be symbolic rather than merely ornamental. A number of fraternal orders and other organizations used keys of this sort as membership tokens or badges. Perhaps the best known of these is the Phi Beta Kappa key, shown below.


Do I sense a future PBK avatar? ;D Or perhaps this is the long debated answer to the secret significance of your moniker? :o
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Do I sense a future PBK avatar? ;D Or perhaps this is the long debated answer to the secret significance of your moniker? :o


Er, no... otherwise my username would be ΦΒΚ, not PBK, eh what?

Although I was indeed elected to that worthy society in my Paleozoic youth, the significance of the name PBK (if any) lies elsewhere.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Watch or clock related?

Absolutely! It's a pocket watch winding key.


:thumbsup:

You mean I actually got something right for once in my life? Happy it was here at this site!
Carl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom