1715 Beaches Warning !

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If you are a newbie or are visiting from out of town to detect our Treasure Coast, I can not stress enough how important it is that you don't detect in the water and that you don't detect on the dunes. It is also imperative that you don't detect within 1,000 feet of the McLarty Museum which is located on the same grounds as the original survivors camp.

If you are caught, your equipment will be confiscated and you will be arrested.

I tried to be a nice guy and explain this to a gentleman I saw waist deep at Ambersands Beach with an Excaliber yesterday...........He told me to mind my on business. Moving forward, I will, but be warned, this is serious stuff along this stretch of beaches and there are very few warnings issued.

Go with the program, fill your holes and you'll never have a problem : )

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can it be enforced when there are no signs anywhere telling you the rules? I hear people say you will get arrested and your equipment confiscated but I have never heard of it actually happening. I know you cant hunt in the water on those wreck sites but how are you supposed to know that, especially if you come from another state?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" covers that..... Lots of laws have no visible signs stating the law. ..

I found the law on it once about 5 years ago after intensive web search. You would think they would make it easy to find but they dont.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can it be enforced when there are no signs anywhere telling you the rules? I hear people say you will get arrested and your equipment confiscated but I have never heard of it actually happening. I know you cant hunt in the water on those wreck sites but how are you supposed to know that, especially if you come from another state?

How can it be enforced when there are no signs anywhere telling you the rules? There is no sign at the corner bank, can I go rob it?

I hear people say you will get arrested and your equipment confiscated but I have never heard of it actually happening. You've heard this because it's stated in some laws. About the hearing it part, if this happened to you would you go around telling everyone?

I know you cant hunt in the water on those wreck sites but how are you supposed to know that, especially if you come from another state? If there is a law it will be on the books and you need to do whatever it takes to know the laws.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" covers that..... Lots of laws have no visible signs stating the law. ..

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Perfect example is a recent news report of the Super Speeder law in GA. In certain counties (mainly the I-95 Corridor), speeding fines are substantial (>20 mph over = $1200). Once you pay the fine, you are admitting guilt and are labeled a Super Speeder that tacks on another $200 fine. The law is publicized in GA only, and is not posted for those that are traveling from out of state.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is also imperative that you don't detect within 1,000 feet of the McLarty Museum which is located on the same grounds as the original survivors camp.

I knew about the water hunting, but I never heard about the restriction on the beach front in the vicinity of the Museum. I thought their property ended as defined by the vegetation at the toe of the dune. Any links that define the property boundary or the mentioned restriction?

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Sorry guys - just the messenger. If you go to mdtalk.org there is a whole section on the 1715 fleet with maps of leased areas etc. I know there are no signs, so I am trying to alert people the best way I know how ie social media etc. Yes two men were arrested a couple of months ago for digging into dunes with detectors. They lost all their equipment, were arrested and went to jail. I do no know the outcome, but they probably got HEAVY fines. When I try to warn newbies and tourists in person, all I ever catch is crap ..... Like I'm making it up. All the beach patrol, cops and state park guys recognize me and usually wave, because they know I'm going with the program. There is plenty of beach from the base of the dunes to the tide line. HH !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have been tempted to call police on the guy that told you to mind your own business.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Sorry guys - just the messenger. If you go to mdtalk.org there is a whole section on the 1715 fleet with maps of leased areas etc. I know there are no signs, so I am trying to alert people the best way I know how ie social media etc. Yes two men were arrested a couple of months ago for digging into dunes with detectors. They lost all their equipment, were arrested and went to jail. I do no know the outcome, but they probably got HEAVY fines. When I try to warn newbies and tourists in person, all I ever catch is crap ..... Like I'm making it up. All the beach patrol, cops and state park guys recognize me and usually wave, because they know I'm going with the program. There is plenty of beach from the base of the dunes to the tide line. HH !

Yep when I went visit that museum the guard told me of that story. The guys had big ass shovels too. You gotta respect the rules or our hobby will get punishment.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eric, are you saying no detecting on the beach within a 1000 ft of the museum?
I along with many others have been detecting that stretch for many many years.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are signs everywhere saying stay off the dunes.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can it be enforced when there are no signs anywhere telling you the rules? There is no sign at the corner bank, can I go rob it?

I hear people say you will get arrested and your equipment confiscated but I have never heard of it actually happening. You've heard this because it's stated in some laws. About the hearing it part, if this happened to you would you go around telling everyone?

I know you cant hunt in the water on those wreck sites but how are you supposed to know that, especially if you come from another state? If there is a law it will be on the books and you need to do whatever it takes to know the laws.
They don't need a sign at the bank because its illegal to rob anything...metal detecting is not illegal...No one has ever shown proof that someone got arrested or their equipment confiscated for water hunting those places...yet you hear this about the Treasure coast all the time...you could spend the rest of your life looking up laws and still not know everything that's illegal in this country...I KNOW ITS ILLEGAL and I don't have a problem with it, just wondering how someone on vacation is supposed to know you cant water hunt those spots.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Goes with having to have a permit to hunt singer island. Hows a bird gonna know that. Hell alot of locals dont know I didnt.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have hunted there as well but was WAY past any 1000' mark of the museum as well as others were. We were out of the water and not in the dunes. I will check into this more before I go back this summer. Thanks for the heads up on it.:occasion14:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of the mclarity beach area being off limits/zoned!

if you have some time to kill, check into floridas new laws as of 2013 in regards to metal detecting on state lands(including beaches), digging holes on submerged state lands(including beaches), keeping anything manmade over 50 years old that you might find on the beach or in the river(state lands) you will be absolutely shocked!!!!!!!!

while we were successful in stopping some of this in 2012, the state archies have been very sneaky,very busy and very successful in achieving pretty much all of there goals!

chuck.

1emeraldlady

Jul 26, 2013
Micco, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, thanks for the heads up! I love MD'ing at Ambersands and I do stay off the dunes but I had no idea you couldn't detect by the museum. I know I would have been a heck of a lot more appreciative if you warned me. I always warn people that there are huge boulders starting in ankle deep water there. Many times they are hidden by the surf. I would not go jumping, diving or swimming at Ambersands unless it was crystal clear and flat! I hate seeing surfers out there because I am always afraid someone will get badly hurt because of the rocks and lack of warning signs (not to mention the lack of a lifeguard). Out of towners are usually clueless about the hazards in the water there. Thanks for the info!!!:notworthy: You da man!!!

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I had no idea either - just found out last month

Eric, are you saying no detecting on the beach within a 1000 ft of the museum?
I along with many others have been detecting that stretch for many many years.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please correct me if I am wrong, but when you say Florida Treasure Coast, you are referring to a specific (albeit rather long) stretch of beach on the Atlantic side where many old wrecks are. Or am I completely off base and you mean ALL of Florida's beaches (I know to stay off dunes regaredless).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please correct me if I am wrong, but when you say Florida Treasure Coast, you are referring to a specific (albeit rather long) stretch of beach on the Atlantic side where many old wrecks are. Or am I completely off base and you mean ALL of Florida's beaches (I know to stay off dunes regaredless).

You are correct which us why it is called Treasure Coast.....

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank You, TH. I plan on hunting some of the Gulf Side this year and prefer to stay out of trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread