1715 Beaches Warning !

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If you are a newbie or are visiting from out of town to detect our Treasure Coast, I can not stress enough how important it is that you don't detect in the water and that you don't detect on the dunes. It is also imperative that you don't detect within 1,000 feet of the McLarty Museum which is located on the same grounds as the original survivors camp.

If you are caught, your equipment will be confiscated and you will be arrested.

I tried to be a nice guy and explain this to a gentleman I saw waist deep at Ambersands Beach with an Excaliber yesterday...........He told me to mind my on business. Moving forward, I will, but be warned, this is serious stuff along this stretch of beaches and there are very few warnings issued.

Go with the program, fill your holes and you'll never have a problem : )

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
Just let the idiots that believe the law doesn't apply to them get arrested, fined, and jailed. No lack of "empowered" people thinking they are above the law.

Not above the law, too many times it isn't the law, it is some employee or a gov official's own interpretation of a law.

If it's a law it is recorded and can be found and read with out asking.......

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

In some states u can make a right on red. In others its against the law. I for one being a newb asked the curator myself. I realize the mistake and will go to the drivers manual for now. Laws aren't laws until they are written. Now that they have been written u can go read them. My bad. Oh by the way there is some really cool items in there. Just bring a bib for your drooling. Lol

Just let the idiots that believe the law doesn't apply to them get arrested, fined, and jailed. No lack of "empowered" people thinking they are above the law.
I don't think you understand what the people on here are talking about...go back and read the posts really slow and see if you still think they are idiots.

Sometimes it's a policy or rule created by the agency in charge of the property or property owner and not a written state or federal law.

However, a policy or rule carries almost as much weight as a law except where fines and jail time are concerned. If you break a policy rule you can be asked to leave the property. If you refuse then you can be arrested for trespassing which is a law and can be punished by fines and or jail time.

Find out first if the no detecting notice is a law, a policy, or a rule.

If it's not a law then proceed as common sense dictates. as in before or after business hours when no one is around or with permission, of a watchman, caretaker, etc. and leave if/when asked to. And I'm talking about policies and rules in general directed at metal detecting not just at the museum.

GG~

Last edited:
The museum is built squarely on an archaeological site.
It might help to take that into account when looking up written laws pertaining to it.

Sometimes it's a policy or rule created by the agency in charge of the property or property owner and not a written state or federal law.

However, a policy or rule carries almost as much weight as a law except where fines and jail time are concerned. If you break a policy rule you can be asked to leave the property. If you refuse then you can be arrested for trespassing which is a law and can be punished by fines and or jail time....

GG, thanx for this input: Yes, there is a difference between a law and a policy. And by the way, I would not define/lump "policy" and "rule" together though. A "rule" can indeed by written down somewhere, posted on a sign, and so forth. However, a POLICY is just a matter of interpretation of a written law or rule.

So for example: While there may be no rule or law forbidding flying RC planes, yet if some duly appointed official thought you were annoying or disturbing other park patrons, he could ask you to stop. Notice in that case there wasn't a law forbidding RC planes. However, there WAS a law forbidding annoyances and disturbances. Thus is the same for md'ing: In cases where there isn't a law forbidding md'ing, yet we all know that a duly appointed official can claim you're "altering" or "harvesting" or "collecting" or some other such morphing.

I used to consider such things to be arbitrary, capricious and subjective. It sounded ripe for abuse. I mean, what's to stop some cop or ranger from walking up to you and saying "you can't wear blue tennis shoes, simply because I say so". But alas, the law DOES put powers into the hands of rank and file officials, lest everyone in the field be perpetually debating semantics, and the cops wouldn't have any power to get their jobs done. In other words, laws and rules can NOT be written so detailed as to contains lists of every last conceivable thing on the planet that is dis-allowed. Hence broad things like rules that forbid "annoyances", are there, so as to fit to a myriad of circumstances, as they may arise, in the field.

Find out first if the no detecting notice is a law, a policy, or a rule.... If it's not a law then proceed as common sense dictates.

Yes, if one person is "appraised" of some whimsical interpretation, I do not construe that to be a new law for everyone else on forums. Ie.: not to be construed as a "new law" or "new rule". There has been many cases of "isolated incidents" where someone catches flack from a bored gardener or mis-informed individual. Or capriciously arbitrary morphing interpretting, by just one person to another. Yet years roll on, and it becomes painfully obvious they were just that: Isolated incidents. Perhaps just a singular booting, or some LEO responding to a call so he had to justify his coming out, etc.... Or someone asking a bored desk-bound bureaucrat, and getting just that one bureaucrat's position/interpretation. All such things do not constitute a new law or rule, in my opinion.

I'm not saying to go flaunt it in that particular person's face! Sometimes in this life you gotta give lip service, and avoid certain kill-joys. Sometimes in this life you have to accept that not everyone in the world will sign off 100% on everything you or I do. You can certainly run around and try to get every last person in the world to love you and your hobby if you want. But at a certain point, you will realize that this is futile, and .... perhaps there's certain people to simply stay clear of, so as not to offend them.

Its probably still under lease as a salvage site.
That would make a 1,000 foot radius from the center point off limits to detectors.
Is anyone still talking about the subject of the original post?

Question for you treasure-salvor:

What brought about such a conversation with the museum, in the first place? Eg.: Were you out there detecting, and someone came out to appraise you? Or was this a case of you going in and asking someone "hi, can I metal detect outside over there?" What precipitated such a conversation ?

And once you'd been told such a thing, did they actually show you, or cite you, where that's actually a written law or rule ?

Tom, I actually went to visit the museum before I did any detecting on my trip. I had done a bit of research on wreck sites and a little on "rules" if you will. While in conversation with the guy working there and the security guard, I asked a question about low tide and the dune line or something and that's when they mentioned the 1000 ft in front of the museum rule. I knew nothing about it before that and actually had planed to detect it because I knew that was the site of the salvager's camp and the Cabin wreck north towards the inlet. I wish now that I'd of just detected it. This was in February and there was no one on the beach for as far as you could see, actually the 4 days I was out there I bet I saw a total of five people. So no, I saw no proof that what they told me was actual law. I just didn't feel like ending up in a Florida jail on my first trip.

On a side note, I don't agree with the way they do there leases. I don't think they should extend all the way to the beach but I'm sure lease holders would disagree with me.

I checked out the mdtalk.org and got nothing. Bad address. How about some working links to where the lease areas are? ...................

Ditto

gy9ege6a.jpg

a4yte8uq.jpg

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399418

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
Just ask the right people the right question.
Not "May I detect there?"
Ask the head cop "Is there any law that prohibits it?"

Or better yet, look up all the laws yourself. Its pretty much all online somewhere, even the local city ords. Know the law and you can stand your ground confidently (but respectfully).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back