1715 Beaches Warning !

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If you are a newbie or are visiting from out of town to detect our Treasure Coast, I can not stress enough how important it is that you don't detect in the water and that you don't detect on the dunes. It is also imperative that you don't detect within 1,000 feet of the McLarty Museum which is located on the same grounds as the original survivors camp.

If you are caught, your equipment will be confiscated and you will be arrested.

I tried to be a nice guy and explain this to a gentleman I saw waist deep at Ambersands Beach with an Excaliber yesterday...........He told me to mind my on business. Moving forward, I will, but be warned, this is serious stuff along this stretch of beaches and there are very few warnings issued.

Go with the program, fill your holes and you'll never have a problem : )

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
the 1,000 feet of the measum is most likely the state of fla doing as it was a salvors camp --ie a "historically valuable spot" as archies would call it.==the wrecksites have a "private zone" around them that extends for some distance in the water to keep water hunting folks from "poaching" their legally claimed wrecksites that they are harvesting for a living.

I know that a staff member of the museum has told me in the past it was OK to detect in front of the museum. I think I will try to call the museum later for clarification...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

How hard is it to put up a few signs?
Like Hunting Big Game in NY....... Signs posted everywhere No Trespassing, No Hunting, No Fishing.
Sure would make things simple and solve alot of the Ummmm.... I wonder if I can detect here?

I agree completely. They have those "How to Avoid a Rip Tide " signs everywhere.........
The 1,000 foot restriction, that's a new one for me, but came directly from one of the state rangers working the museum.

Hey I just don't what people getting in trouble over rules they didn't even know about......

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

You know what I find interesting in all this thread, is that someone comes on saying "such & such place is off-limits to detecting". Hmmm, ok, that's great that we have these forums and can discuss back and forth between hobbyists, right? No one can argue with "warning your fellow hunters" right? And if you hear a rumor, or read something in dry dusty minutia somewhere, WHAT BETTER place than to put it out as a warning or question than a hobbyist forum like this, right?

But then oddly, other's will chime in saying things like "that's wierd, we detect there all the time, for years, and no one cares less". So what's the knee-jerk reaction of them and everyone else? Of course to "go seek clarification". Hence starts the incessant asking of various desk-bound bureaucrats to clear up vague or ambiguous wording (or quite frankly, wording which no one knows, or cares, or ever enforces, etc...). And then guess what the easy answer is going to be, once such questions get bandied back and forth between various bureaucrat's desks (one of which will no doubt be the state archie): "no".

So then gee, we all breathe a big sigh of relief, knowing there's another place we can't hunt. Good thing we asked. Meantime, all the old-timers are still all scratching their heads saying to themselves "since when?" :icon_scratch:

I make sure to never be a squeaky wheel I would recommend that to everyone who wants to continue their hobby

The purpose of this site is information. If someone asks if it's legal to hunt somewhere and member has information they can reply..... on the other hand I would never write or call a government official and ask if something is legal for clarification..... That is like asking for a new law against something...

Google is an amazing thing, it will find answer to almost anything if you take the time to look..

Worst thing to ask any gov officials is can I do something..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

The purpose of this site is information.....Google is an amazing thing, it will find answer to almost anything if you take the time to look..

Worst thing to ask any gov officials is can I do something.......

I agree with everything you're saying Treasure_hunter. Yes, we should look up things for ourselves, rather than risking the "no one cared till you asked" routine.

I was just pointing out that it's often these VERY posts, which bring about the knee-jerk reaction of skittish people to do exactly the OPPOSITE of what you're saying. Not sure how this problem is to be solved, other than to educate our ranks to look up rules for themselves, and to stop making themselves a giant bullseye in need of attention.

They told me about the 1000 ft rule when I was at the museum so I didn't detect in front of it, but I really wanted too. They had been pushing sand on the South end of that stretch with a dozer at the time and it was very tempting to take advantage of the free scooping. I'd love to go back but without a lease or a hurricane I've got a better chance of finding something in my own backyard. I'm sure there's a lot on the beach at any given time but it's deep in the sand, and that's a lot of sand.

They told me about the 1000 ft rule when I was at the museum so I didn't detect in front of it, but I really wanted too.....

Question for you treasure-salvor:

What brought about such a conversation with the museum, in the first place? Eg.: Were you out there detecting, and someone came out to appraise you? Or was this a case of you going in and asking someone "hi, can I metal detect outside over there?" What precipitated such a conversation ?

And once you'd been told such a thing, did they actually show you, or cite you, where that's actually a written law or rule ?

The purpose of this site is information. If someone asks if it's legal to hunt somewhere and member has information they can reply..... on the other hand I would never write or call a government official and ask if something is legal for clarification..... That is like asking for a new law against something...

Google is an amazing thing, it will find answer to almost anything if you take the time to look..

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
You make a good point TH, as others have pointed out. I never got around to calling the museum and after reconsidering I won't. Always best to be under the radar...

People go to the beach and do all sorts of activities without asking if its ok...build sand castles, throw footballs, fly kites, pick up shells, etc...why do they feel they need to ask permission to detect? :BangHead: :dontknow::BangHead:

I was at the museum Monday and the officer stated NO metal detecting 1,000 feet from the museum. nice visist and well worth the $2.00 museum fee.
The museum has a book of many of the treqasure finds in the area. staff was friendly.
drove about a mile away and tried my new V3i for the first time. Big learning curve from my Ace 350.
waters in the area are leased. Stay of the dunes---many places to enter the beach.
every day at the beach is good

So did the museum have any 1000' measuring tapes for sale? :tongue3:

Let's see...... a football field is 100 yards long or 300 feet, so 1000 feet would be 3 football fields long plus 100 feet or 1/3 of another football field.......... kinda hard to visualize. :icon_scratch:

Could you imagine getting fined for only being 999 feet away from the museum :-\

Go for the gold,
GG~

Last edited:
rancherjl and treasure-salvor:

rancherjl and treasure-salvor: Still waiting to hear what precipitated such conversations. Did someone come out while you were detecting and appraise you of this info? Or is this something you got by going in and asking "can I metal detect?" .... or .... ?

And when they told you this, did they have a citation of something written down? Eg.: rule or a law specifically saying such a thing ?

Just let the idiots that believe the law doesn't apply to them get arrested, fined, and jailed. No lack of "empowered" people thinking they are above the law.

Just let the idiots that believe the law doesn't apply to them get arrested, fined, and jailed. No lack of "empowered" people thinking they are above the law.

Thommy look closely at what you've just written. Aside from calling people names (thankyou), you are making a statement that this is a "law". My question to the 2 individuals was essentially "is this a law", as opposed to someone's arbitrary whimsical "no". Perhaps it is a law! And perhaps you CAN get "arrested jailed and fined". Ok then, fine DON'T DO IT.

But if it's a law, then it must be written down somewhere. All laws on-the-books are available for public viewing, somewhere, somehow. And they can be looked up for onseself.

And also, as for the "arrested, fined, and jailed" assertion, why do you think it is that others on this thread came on saying they'd detected there for years with no problem? I suppose the answer to that is that they "just got lucky all those years"? Perhaps so.

No! I would say that would be the second Worst thing to ask any gov officials is can I do something..
The worst would be to ask their for assistance in correcting a wrong, they have needlessly created
and expect accountablility for their actions! I found out the hard way that instead of helping, your reputation will be smeared to justify their unjust action(s) and abuse of power.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back