1715 treasure fleet emralds!?

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone I need your help. I live on the treasure coast in FL and checking out the beach today I found this interesting object. It's not a shell and honestly I have no idea what it could be but maybe emralds? Could this be from the 1715 spanish fleet that sank here ? Any ideas?!?! 20210621_153548.jpg 20210621_153534.jpg

Upvote 22
OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hoping to see more green light but I see some.

It's like they are packed together in some kind of pottery mix or clay. I took it down to a place this morning that specializes in 1715 fleet treasure and they said its possible that they are actually emralds but they wouldn't know for sure until they are separated from that build up stuff. They seem to think it's sand, but I don't know how to get them out of it

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very interesting post! Personally I would leave them in the matrix until positive mineral id is made.

I don't know how long it would take a Conglomerate like yours to form in the area where it was found -200+ years? Perhaps some of our geology members could chime in?

Or access to a local museum or University expert would be useful.

(Hoping they are incrusted emeralds!)

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I very carefully took one out and tried to put more light on it,

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Promising! Don't think I'd disturb the cluster any more. Probably worth more as a single relic than worth as loose emeralds.

Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Promising! Don't think I'd disturb the cluster any more. Probably worth more as a single relic than worth as loose emeralds.

Agree 100 percent

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is getting really interesting. Looking forward to learning more!

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Well I took the clump of them and put it in a safe place. Would it hurt to just take a small piece to a jeweler to verify? I mean literally walking on the beach just looking for shells and that just stood out. A year ago in the same place I found part of a plate, so maybe this is something to get excited about 20200803_211859.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Find...! :thumbsup:
The conglomerate could be a coral matrix.
Be careful in loosening them up.
Doesn't appear to be green glass - looks natural....

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Well I took the clump of them and put it in a safe place. Would it hurt to just take a small piece to a jeweler to verify?

Take the whole thing to 3 or 4 different jewelers, and see what they say. Bring the individual piece you already extracted, too.

Good luck!

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me add this. Be very specific when dealing with jewelers as to what you are looking for and what they can do to the clump.

I found an old sheriff's badge and took it to a jeweler to have the broken clip on the back repaired. They took it upon themselves to polish off the patina on the badge. If anger was sunlight I was a thousand suns at that point. :BangHead:

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow! Thank you, ill make sure to just ask them to verify the stones lol I'll let you guys know what they say

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jade! Thats what 3 different jewelers all said today :( I don't know what or why small pieces of jade would be at that beach but do you guys think it's possible that those spanish galleons were carrying jade on board? I was really hoping for emralds:(

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
there are two common types of jade, one valuable and one not so much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread