ericmpaulson

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2021
Westchester County NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need help authenticating what appears to be two cannon balls I found while gardening in Westchester County NY.

Below is a description of what I found:

Ball #1:
31 pounds
6.13 inches diameter
19.63 inches circumference

Ball #2:
61.8 pounds
7.88 inches diameter
24.5 inches circumference

They were heavily rusted when I found them. I spent several hours cleaning them up with a wire brush and steel wool. They are both solid shot and definitely do not contain any explosives.

According to the research I've done thus far, 32 pound cannonballs were a standard size that were produced by the British during the Revolutionary War period. From what I understand, these cannon balls were sometimes a few pounds shy of their designated weight. As for the larger ball I found, its weight of 61.8 pounds may indicate that it was made for a 64 pound cannon, maybe? The diameters seem to be an almost exact match to the production size of each.

If these are in fact cannonballs, I may be interested in selling one of them, and I was wondering what the value may be on them?

Below is a web link that I came across in my research which lists the common sizes of larger cannon balls. The figures seem to correlate. I figured I'd attach it here so that you can take a look:

Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns

This is my first post on this forum, so I thank you all in advance for your help.

Cannon Balls.jpg

Attachments

• Cannonballs 2.jpg
    Cannonballs 2.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Upvote 15

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cannonball Guy wrote the book on the subject so, hopefully he will be along soon to help you. If I knew anything about them I would help but I don't so I won't!:laughing7:

OP
OP
E

ericmpaulson

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2021
Westchester County NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cannonball Guy wrote the book on the subject so, hopefully he will be along soon to help you. If I knew anything about them I would help but I don't so I won't!:laughing7:

Yes I've read a previous thread where the Cannon Ball Guy helped authenticate a cannon ball. I messaged him directly on here as well. I look forward to hearing from him.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't mention the general area where you found them.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just incredible! 61 lbs! I would buy that!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ericmpaulson asked:
> Does anyone know the name of the book or books the Cannon Ball Guy wrote on this subject?

"Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War" -- 1980 Edition, by Thomas S. Dickey & Peter C. George
"Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War -- Revised & Supplemented 1993 Edition" -- extensively updated & published by me 6 years after Tom Dickey's death.

You didn't ask, but also: Numerous articles on civil war artillery projectiles (and other relics) for the North South Trader's Civil War magazine.

Thank you for providing the super-precise diameter and weight measurements for the de-rusted iron balls you found. That information is absolutely crucial for determining with CERTAINTY whether or not the balls are artillery projectiles or one of the many versions of Civilian-usage iron balls. The well-focused closeup photos also help a lot... because the distinctive form of rust-pitting corrosion proves they are made of cast-iron, not steel. (No steel cannonballs were ever made or used in America.)

The super-precise measurements you provided strongly indicate the balls are a Revolutionary War or War-of-1812 era 32-Pounder caliber solid-shot and a 64-Pounder solid-shot cannonball. The cannonballs from those time-periods were slightly smaller (and thus a bit lighter) than the civil war era ones, whose diameters and weights are given in the US 1861 Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" artillery ball size data charts. Thanks also for including the Shot Tables webpage link in your post, which is helpful to other readers of this thread.

About their dollar-value:
Generally, RevWar and 1812-War cannonballs do not bring as high a price as their civil war counterparts, because there are far fewer RevWar artillery collectors than civil war artillery collectors. Also, solid-shot cannonballs are not as "sexy" to a collector as an explosive shell with (for example) a brass fuze in it. Thirdly, due to the VERY frequent misidentification of Civilian-usage iron balls as cannonballs on Ebay and at other markets, many collectors are extremely wary of buying ANY solid-shot... they would rather pay for a no-doubt-about-it cannonball, preferring a hollow body (not solid), and having a fuze. In summary, if somebody offers you $100 to $150 for either of the balls, take it with a smile, and say thank you.

Attachments

• book_FieldArtilleryProjectiles_1993-Edition_cover_ebay.jpg
    book_FieldArtilleryProjectiles_1993-Edition_cover_ebay.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ericmpaulson

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2021
Westchester County NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ericmpaulson asked:
> Does anyone know the name of the book or books the Cannon Ball Guy wrote on this subject?

"Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War" -- 1980 Edition, by Thomas S. Dickey & Peter C. George
"Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War -- Revised & Supplemented 1993 Edition" -- extensively updated & published by me 6 years after Tom Dickey's death.

You didn't ask, but also: Numerous articles on civil war artillery projectiles (and other relics) for the North South Trader's Civil War magazine.

Thank you for providing the super-precise diameter and weight measurements for the de-rusted iron balls you found. That information is absolutely crucial for determining with CERTAINTY whether or not the balls are artillery projectiles or one of the many versions of Civilian-usage iron balls. The well-focused closeup photos also help a lot... because the distinctive form of rust-pitting corrosion proves they are made of cast-iron, not steel. (No steel cannonballs were ever made or used in America.)

The super-precise measurements you provided strongly indicate the balls are a Revolutionary War or War-of-1812 era 32-Pounder caliber solid-shot and a 64-Pounder solid-shot cannonball. The cannonballs from those time-periods were slightly smaller (and thus a bit lighter) than the civil war era ones, whose diameters and weights are given in the US 1861 Ordnance Manual's "Shot Tables" artillery ball size data charts. Thanks also for including the Shot Tables webpage link in your post, which is helpful to other readers of this thread.

About their dollar-value:
Generally, RevWar and 1812-War cannonballs do not bring as high a price as their civil war counterparts, because there are far fewer RevWar artillery collectors than civil war artillery collectors. Also, solid-shot cannonballs are not as "sexy" to a collector as an explosive shell with (for example) a brass fuze in it. Thirdly, due to the VERY frequent misidentification of Civilian-usage iron balls as cannonballs on Ebay and at other markets, many collectors are extremely wary of buying ANY solid-shot... they would rather pay for a no-doubt-about-it cannonball, preferring a hollow body (not solid), and having a fuze. In summary, if somebody offers you $100 to $150 for either of the balls, take it with a smile, and say thank you.

Thank you so much for your response, Cannon Ball Guy.

So just to clarify, from what you see, you do believe that they are in fact solid shot cannon balls?

Also, is it correct that these were used on ships and not in the field, according to their size?

Thank you again, Peter (?)

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ericmpaulson wrote:
> So just to clarify, from what you see, you do believe that they are in fact solid shot cannon balls?

Yes... both of them are Solid-Shot cannonballs from the Colonial Era through the War-of-1812 era. (It is important to note that their super-precise diameter & weight measurements prove they are from sometime in the Colonial era though the War-of-1812 era, not from the civil war era.)

> Also, is it correct that these were used on ships and not in the field, according to their size?

The sizes of cannonballs you found (32-Pounder and 64-Pounder caliber) were used on ships and also at permanent fortifications... because the cannons which used them were far too heavy for pre-1900s armies to haul around on mud roads during a campaign where the army kept moving from one location to another. Yours could be from a fort's armament, or fired from a Navy ship. (Was there a fort, or a river big/deep enough for a Navy ship near where you found these cannonballs?)

Prior to the 1900s, there were 4 categories of artillery, which were based on the "comparative" heaviness of the cannons.
Listed from lightest cannons to heaviest:
Horse Artillery, cannons light enough to be hauled across "off road" terrain on a Cavalry raid.
Field Artillery, cannons light enough for a 4-or-6 team of horses to haul when the army moved from one site to another during a campaign. (For example, the civil war Atlanta Campaign, or the Gettysburg Campaign, in which the armies kept moving along a 100-mile path.)
Siege-&-Garrison Artillery, cannons too heavy for typical in-the-field army operations, this class of heavier cannons was used only for a siege, when the army sat still for a long time, besieging a city or fort.
Heavy Artillery, as the name implies, cannons too massively heavy even for Siege movements, these were used in "permanent fortifications."

In general, Navy ships used all 4 classes, depending on the size of the ship.

> Thank you again, Peter (?)

You're welcome. I post in the What Is It? forum to repay a couple of (now long dead) oldtimer relic-hunters who generously gave me a lot of their time, for free, identifying my finds for me when I was a newcomer to metal-detecting.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I need help authenticating what appears to be two cannon balls I found while gardening in Westchester County NY.

Below is a description of what I found:

Ball #1:
31 pounds
6.13 inches diameter
19.63 inches circumference

Ball #2:
61.8 pounds
7.88 inches diameter
24.5 inches circumference

They were heavily rusted when I found them. I spent several hours cleaning them up with a wire brush and steel wool. They are both solid shot and definitely do not contain any explosives.

According to the research I've done thus far, 32 pound cannonballs were a standard size that were produced by the British during the Revolutionary War period. From what I understand, these cannon balls were sometimes a few pounds shy of their designated weight. As for the larger ball I found, its weight of 61.8 pounds may indicate that it was made for a 64 pound cannon, maybe? The diameters seem to be an almost exact match to the production size of each.

If these are in fact cannonballs, I may be interested in selling one of them, and I was wondering what the value may be on them?

Below is a web link that I came across in my research which lists the common sizes of larger cannon balls. The figures seem to correlate. I figured I'd attach it here so that you can take a look:

Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns

This is my first post on this forum, so I thank you all in advance for your help.

View attachment 1933308

Welcome, and congrats! Living up river from you Rev is what I want, and for me you hit a grand slam.
CBG is "The Man", and his confirmation to your info is great. Many times people hear the opposite, a dreaded mill ball ( steel).
What part of Westchester? River side?
If you decide to let one go on the lower side of CBG's estimate, I may be interested.

OP
OP
E

ericmpaulson

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2021
Westchester County NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, and congrats! Living up river from you Rev is what I want, and for me you hit a grand slam.
CBG is "The Man", and his confirmation to your info is great. Many times people hear the opposite, a dreaded mill ball ( steel).
What part of Westchester? River side?
If you decide to let one go on the lower side of CBG's estimate, I may be interested.

Hey thank you for your reply and your interest. At this point I'm probably going to keep both of them. If they were worth more I'd let one go but for what they're worth I'd rather just keep them. Thanks though!

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey thank you for your reply and your interest. At this point I'm probably going to keep both of them. If they were worth more I'd let one go but for what they're worth I'd rather just keep them. Thanks though!

I would keep them for twice the price, if I found them. I'm just one of those guys that if someone else found it, then it doesn't create a strong urge to keep it. where in Westchester? I'm curious if it was along the river.
It's also possible someone found them somewhere else and used them as garden ornaments 50-100 years ago, lol.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread