vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard LadyBall! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to THRIFT STORES for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait just the case? or did it have the violin in it as well?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

You might be interested in this anecdote I posted a while ago:

I'm not saying your instrument is a modern Czech copy but note that the expert said they were "knee-deep in 'Stradivarius' violins" [from various vintage-modern European makers, none of which were authentic].

Sadly, cheap copies with fantasy Stradivarius labels are hugely more numerous than the real thing.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

You might be interested in this anecdote I posted a while ago:

I'm not saying your instrument is a modern Czech copy but note that the expert said they were "knee-deep in 'Stradivarius' violins" [from various vintage-modern European makers, none of which were authentic].

Sadly, cheap copies with fantasy Stradivarius labels are hugely more numerous than the real thing.
yeah reproductions are everywhere for these. I believe he only made like 1200 of them or something like that? Also I remember reading somewhere about how and why the wood from the specific area he got it from was the best because of the density of the growth rings. Supposedly a result of the very cold temps and slow growth that resulted, which made a dense wood that cast the sound unlike any other at the time(and arguably unlike most anything that is widely available today).

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very old one with a strad label inside....was passed down to me from my Father who was an old bluegrass musician in the 50s and 60s. Have a pic of him with it from that period, but he never said nothing tome about its history. I took it to an free antique appraisal event in a hotel lobby and the guy quickly put it down as a fake without even lookin at it but a glance.said all are fakes that surface nowadays. So I put it back in its dusty ancient case and there she r3sts. One day I hope to take it to a reputable instrument guy for a second opinion. Would love to see what you got though....pics?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very old one with a strad label inside....was passed down to me from my Father who was an old bluegrass musician in the 50s and 60s. Have a pic of him with it from that period, but he never said nothing tome about its history. I took it to an free antique appraisal event in a hotel lobby and the guy quickly put it down as a fake without even lookin at it but a glance.said all are fakes that surface nowadays. So I put it back in its dusty ancient case and there she r3sts. One day I hope to take it to a reputable instrument guy for a second opinion. Would love to see what you got though....pics?
get it checked out, if real it is potentially worth a VERY pretty penny(potentially in the millions). they only know of roughly 600 of them in existence.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get it checked out, if real it is potentially worth a VERY pretty penny(potentially in the millions). they only know of roughly 600 of them in existence.
Seeing that this is a thread about strads and we don't have the OP pics yet....here are a few of mine, probably marked 1719 and probably a fake....
20230111_163823.jpg
20230111_163621.jpg
20230111_163944.jpg
20230111_164022.jpg

OP
OP
L

LadyBall

Greenie
Jan 10, 2023
Wait just the case? or did it have the violin in it as well?
The violin as well in decent con
Seeing that this is a thread about strads and we don't have the OP pics yet....here are a few of mine, probably marked 1719 and probably a fake.... View attachment 2064161 View attachment 2064162 View attachment 2064163 View attachment 2064164
Is that say 14 or 49 I believe he didn't make any beyond 35 or less as he didn't live to be 49 years old don't quote me tho

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that this is a thread about strads and we don't have the OP pics yet....here are a few of mine, probably marked 1719 and probably a fake.... View attachment 2064161 View attachment 2064162 View attachment 2064163 View attachment 2064164
Yes yours is a reproduction as far as I can tell. Supposedly one of the key factors is in the label having two printed numbers in the date. The real labels only had the one printed and the last 3 numbers were hand written. later in life he signed them by his age. Yours with the two numbers written seems to be a copy, but since it does not include the word copy in the print there is a chance that this is an early reproduction made before 1891. The other possibility is that this was a student violin that was labeled by a shop as a way to "grade" it. Either way it still could be worth some money(not millions) as some copies are sought out for their quality as well. Still worth taking somewhere to get checked out.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes yours is a reproduction as far as I can tell. Supposedly one of the key factors is in the label having two printed numbers in the date. The real labels only had the one printed and the last 3 numbers were hand written. later in life he signed them by his age. Yours with the two numbers written seems to be a copy, but since it does not include the word copy in the print there is a chance that this is an early reproduction made before 1891. The other possibility is that this was a student violin that was labeled by a shop as a way to "grade" it. Either way it still could be worth some money(not millions) as some copies are sought out for their quality as well. Still worth taking somewhere to get checked out.
Thanks for the information.....I did presume it was not the big money original, but never took it anywhere to get a real appraisal for being a later one. I would let it go for half a million though...:laughing7:

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I've repaired many violins, some of them "Stradivari" like the one here. Very nice old instruments but not made by Stradivarius. Just modeled after his. I agree with the other commenters here. You have an instrument that likely would be treasured by a serious player. Quilted maple back, spruce top, likely maple neck and ebony fingerboard, and old, hard varnish and wood makes for a fine-sounding instrument often. The ebony fingerboard is one mark of a quality instrument. The student models often have a black-stained maple one. On an old, well-played instrument the maple one will show light streaks where the fingers wear the board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread