Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got my good finds from today cleaned up. It was a pretty good day.scrappy and treblehunters finds got me fired up to hunt so I went to my pillar dollar spot to give it a go. The spot was covered with 3 feet of sea weed most of the summer, but its clean as a whistle right now. King tides , supermoon, and northeast winds have made a big difference. I got 2 buckles , a skeloton key, and ill be honest im not so sure what the other pieces are but one is silver. photo-209.JPG
photo-212.JPG
photo-211.JPG
photo-210.JPG
There appears to be the faintest image of a crown on oneside of the key. I have found 4 other pieces that match 2 of the other 3 doodads. But none that were silver. The other that looks like a cross is a first. keep in mind that I have found 7 cobs and a pillar dollar in the same spot. Not to mention a bunch of other similar artifacts. I guess I should post the whole collection in one shot.

Upvote 25

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Great finds Bart! Those look like period pieces from the 1st half of the 18th century. That's some amazing spot you have bud.
Congrats!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the key is an 18th C skeleton type.

Not seen those type of buckles before.:icon_scratch:

Those decorative pieces are odd, not sure what those went on.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show the whole collection! Please, please, please!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice older finds. How deep of water do you detect in?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show the whole collection! Please, please, please!

Ok claire here is the whole collection from this spot since last January. I hope everyone enjoys this growing collection , and can give me some insight into some of the mystery items. I just put afew pieces that are representive of many more when it comes to the iron banding, pottery , glass and bottle parts, shot, copper sheathing, and nails and spikes. I have collected so many ship spikes that I dont count them anymore I weigh them. Last I weighed them I had 22 pounds of spikes and nails. Almost all of them are of the square head and shank type, all iron exept a few brass or bronze type. photo-224.JPG
photo-223.JPG
photo-222.JPG
photo-220.JPG
photo-219.JPG
photo-218.JPG
photo-221.JPG
photo-217.JPG
photo-216.JPG
photo-215.JPG
photo-214.JPG photo-213.JPG
2 buckles I denticle to the ones I found yesterday seem to be missing along with a couple other pieces. I will track them down and get them up here soon. Also I gave another cob to my father that is similar to the mounted one but quite a bit nicer.ill find a pic of it to post. There are other pics of some of these finds as I found them in some of my other threads.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice older finds. How deep of water do you detect in?

Scuba detector it is a dream spot. At low tide this spot is dry out about 1/4 mile at high tide the water laps at the dune base and the patio slab of the house thats on the property. When in the water you need only snorkel gear its waist to chest deep at high tide. Water clairity is insane here most good days. When you dig you just fan sand until you hit hard pan bottom and pick up whatever is in the pot hole. Even if you dont find anything its an epic snorkel. Lots of fish of all sorts, sand and grass, fans and occasional coral heads. Plenty of conch and starfish. All sorts of sea life. Although I have been chased out of the water by a large angry bullshark. Seems like there always pissed off at somthing. Black tips freak me out somtimes too especially when theres more than one. All in all it treasure hunters dream. The pillar dollar was found above the high tide line and the cob above it was fond in ankle deep water. You can see the obvious difference in condition.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great finds Bart! Those look like period pieces from the 1st half of the 18th century. That's some amazing spot you have bud.
Congrats!!
Scrappy you are oh so right its a bonafide certified treasure spot. Your reale finds got me motivated and off the couch yesterday. Im glad too because I got 6 pieces yesterday. Not counting iron spikes. I love using other people's finds to motivate me . Thanks and congrats again.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool relics! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the key is an 18th C skeleton type.

Not seen those type of buckles before.:icon_scratch:

Those decorative pieces are odd, not sure what those went on.

Crusader please tell me your thoughts , youve probably seen more stuff like this than anyone over here. The little decorative pieces could be strap keepers for the buckles as you can see some complete ones now. Check out the buckles with the crowns, I think they are special. I cant find any like them anywhere. Huh ... had a little melt down mid post. Anyway, the round concho type objects ive been told could be decorative bit bosses for a horse bridle. Who knows? All opinions are welcome. The key, iron banding , and the coins really excite me because I so much want there to be a disintegrating chest here !!! All these finds I think are associated with the 1733 galleon fleet disaster here in the keys. There are at least 3 galleon wrecksites within 5 miles of this spot, one of wich is quite a bit closer than that. I think im on a survivor camp or salvage camp.the pillar dollar is a 1733 and could come from no other source. Just saw a pillar dollar of the same year sell on heratige auction site for an unbelievable amount of money! !! It was a little nicer than mine but no to much nicer. Gotta find some more of those if I can

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Crap! I remember the cob and 8-R hunt, but wow you have made many other amazing finds.

With the style and size of those newest buckles, I would consider them in the style of late 17th to early 18th century buckles. I looked in a couple of my books and can't find any exact example. Just a guess, and I'm sure the pros can shed a lot more light.

Dang Bart. Very impressive buddy

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it might take years to pull enough iron out, but one day you will find that coin that's followed by many more. Killer site! Keep pulling iron!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader please tell me your thoughts , youve probably seen more stuff like this than anyone over here. The little decorative pieces could be strap keepers for the buckles as you can see some complete ones now. Check out the buckles with the crowns, I think they are special. I cant find any like them anywhere. Huh ... had a little melt down mid post. Anyway, the round concho type objects ive been told could be decorative bit bosses for a horse bridle. Who knows? All opinions are welcome. The key, iron banding , and the coins really excite me because I so much want there to be a disintegrating chest here !!! All these finds I think are associated with the 1733 galleon fleet disaster here in the keys. There are at least 3 galleon wrecksites within 5 miles of this spot, one of wich is quite a bit closer than that. I think im on a survivor camp or salvage camp.the pillar dollar is a 1733 and could come from no other source. Just saw a pillar dollar of the same year sell on heratige auction site for an unbelievable amount of money! !! It was a little nicer than mine but no to much nicer. Gotta find some more of those if I can

Well, the buckles kind of bother me, they look more early 20th C than 18th!
The decorated pieces remind me of gun furniture but don't have the right fixings, so who knows...

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the buckles kind of bother me, they look more early 20th C than 18th!
The decorated pieces remind me of gun furniture but don't have the right fixings, so who knows...

Thanks crusader . There is always the possibility of items from other eras to be mixed in here. The mystery continues. ?? Ive learned that beaches /shorelines can have items from hundreds of years ago mixed in with last nights tidal trash. especially here in the keys where there are literally wrecks piled right on top of other wrecks. One thing is for sure, theres cobs in that sand too. I cant stop looking. Its bordering on obsession now!!! Heres another mystery piece. View attachment 1385989
View attachment 1385990
Ive been told that this item is nothing more than a ball off a trailer hitch by some.others think that it is the pommel or hilt of a spanish rapier. If you look close you can see what looks like the remmanents of wire wrapping on the broken stump part also what looks like banding where the hand guard was attached. I dont know ??? Dont want to throw it out if its a part of history, but dont want to keep an old trailer hitch ball either. Lol!!! photo-77.JPG
Looks a little small to be a trailer ball.

Attachments

• photo-76.JPG
    photo-76.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks crusader . There is always the possibility of items from other eras to be mixed in here. The mystery continues. ?? Ive learned that beaches /shorelines can have items from hundreds of years ago mixed in with last nights tidal trash. especially here in the keys where there are literally wrecks piled right on top of other wrecks. One thing is for sure, theres cobs in that sand too. I cant stop looking. Its bordering on obsession now!!! Heres another mystery piece. View attachment 1385989
View attachment 1385990
Ive been told that this item is nothing more than a ball off a trailer hitch by some.others think that it is the pommel or hilt of a spanish rapier. If you look close you can see what looks like the remmanents of wire wrapping on the broken stump part also what looks like banding where the hand guard was attached. I dont know ??? Dont want to throw it out if its a part of history, but dont want to keep an old trailer hitch ball either. Lol!!! View attachment 1385993
Looks a little small to be a trailer ball.

photo-78.JPG
Having some issue's loading images. Sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread