1734 X Reis, Complete Dog Nosed Rat Tail, Shoe Buckle, Thimbles

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a rare morning to hunt. I decided to chase a new dot on one of my early maps. After discovering a couple of early cabin site last year I'm always on the hunt for them. They have no cellar hole and not a sign of a home ever being there. Always virgin and usually quite productive. It took me some time to get on this place but eventually I nabbed the guts of a shoe buckle then a few other decent finds. A beautiful rat tail with a dog nose handle. I also pulled a massive 1734 Portuguese copper. It's a ten reis and is 31 mm. Pretty decent condition as well. Shoe buckle frame, and a few other bits. Then I spent a short time at another cabin site I've hunted before. Pulled a couple of thimbles and a nice early pewter button with a 6 point star inside a 6 point star. Hope to get out again soon. Good luck out there guys. I added a pic of the coin next to a DB for size comparison
IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_5962.JPG
IMG_5965.JPG
IMG_5969.JPG
IMG_5953.JPG
IMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5971.JPG

Upvote 41

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man! What a hunt! A non British-US 1700's copper is still on my bucket list. And this one is in a great shape! Awesome hunt, congratulations! That site sure looks promising.

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course you found a whole dog nosed spoon!

That Portuguese copper is really cool Abe and one I don't remember ever seeing posted. 31mm is massive.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds want company sometime haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

May 25, 2017
New England Coastal Land & Waters
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll hunt with you anytime too AHAB. You're famous around those thar parts up in Maine. I hear people talking about ya in my circles, but nobody knows whatcha look like bub. Kind of like the giant blue Lobsta' everyone says is out there. Some say you hunt with a few guys but nobody knows much bout them either. The best hunters seem to move in the shadows and nobody really knows much about them.

Nice pewter button and spoon bub. That dog-nose is not an easy feat, even in pieces.

-Eat More Lobsta' and Keep locals local!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That coin is a giant green monster! Wow.

Very nice shoe buckles too.

Best of luck to you sir!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa that is a big old coin and some nice colonial recoveries. Sounds like you have an old map with "dots" that no one else is pursuing. (The best kind of map for sure...) Be safe out there and congrats on your finds!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever you're using for a site sniffer is still working like a charm buddy. Not the quantity that you'd like to see, but the quality is definitely there as usual. Love that copper, and it's in superb shape. Dan's buddy pulled a similar one out of the water this week, but yours is in far superior condition. I've never been able to put a coil over one of those monsters. And then the obligatory whole spoon .... ho hum :laughing7:. Joking aside, that's another great example to add to your already awesome colonial spoon collection. Cool little star button too. I'd say you have quite a productive day (or morning). Hope you can get back out again soon man.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course you found a whole dog nosed spoon!

That Portuguese copper is really cool Abe and one I don't remember ever seeing posted. 31mm is massive.

I just told you yesterday that Dan's buddy dug one of those this week :dontknow:. Get with it man .....

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That coin is pure lunacy...enough copper in that to plumb a bathroom. Outstanding

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just looking at Portuguese Reis coins the other day while trying to ID the copper that was found by Rustic.

Now you found one, and a really sweet one too! Nice job, that thing is huge and awesome.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the unusual copper, that must have been worth 125% of a royal KG.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, that coin should have been a banging signal as big as it is. wonderful finds as usual, finds that would truly make anyone's day(especially mine LOL)

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds, Abe! Everything looks good, too, even that large cent still has some detail. Glad you were able to get out for a hunt. -Lisa & John

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! I like that big Reis especially. Only ever found one but its shot. 1764 I think.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great hunt! That copper is massive ( and in pretty great condition too)! You sure do have a way of sniffing out productive colonial sites. Congrats.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You make digging perfect whole pewter spoons look so easy :occasion14: That's another nice one to add to you collection man. And that copper is awesome... I had a great time deciphering what it was. Looking forward to your next hunt man.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the pewter spoon and the Portuguese coin is pretty interesting (and in excellent condition). Very nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread