What's new

1749 half penny

tomsneck

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
407
Reaction score
598
Golden Thread
0
Location
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt, mxsport
Found this w my daughter this afternoon. Our first pre 1900 coin. Wondering what to do to clean it up. Get some of the scale off. Any help would be great
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    213.1 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 26
Cleaned em up a bit. Found it. It is a farthing. Cool!
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I think the amount of cleaning you've done now is just right.
 
Last edited:
Congrats on your first 1700s coin
 
Thanks don and treble. Don can u enlighten me on the difference. Or direct me to a post on it?

It's all in the size. Here's a couple of 1749 KG's I found, on the left a halfpence and on the right a farthing. I added one of my favorite standing liberty quarter finds for scale.

DSC_0305 1749.webp
 
Cleaned em up a bit. Found it. It is a farthing. Cool!

You did a fantastic job on the cleaning. I always try to clean my coins enough to enhance and maximize detail. You left enough of the dirt to contrast the coin detail. Like Treb I have had the best lunch with hp buts it's always a case by case decision
 
If that were my coin, and I wasn't really sure how to bring the details out, , I would leave it alone for now.
Congrats on a great find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom