What's new

1749 half penny

tomsneck

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
407
Reaction score
598
Golden Thread
0
Location
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt, mxsport
Found this w my daughter this afternoon. Our first pre 1900 coin. Wondering what to do to clean it up. Get some of the scale off. Any help would be great
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    213.1 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 26
Nothing. Anything you try is going to ruin it.

At most, I would use a tooth pick to gently go over it, then do the nose oil rub trick and leave it be after that. I found a 1775 coin in my yard and ruined it trying to 'clean' it before I knew better.
 
Definatly don't want to hurt it. But I can see a lot of detail under the scale
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    145.1 KB · Views: 183
grats - awesome find. i would keep it exactly like it is...i think it looks pretty damn good
 
Just brush it off. Looks like some good detail under there. Don't clean it with water!
 
Nice farthing. Seems like 1749 was a common date for Geo II farthings
 
I read that the Brits sent the colonists 800,000 for their assistance in the "lewisburg expidition"
 
That's a tremendous find, and in great condition for its age. I wouldn't mess with it. Congratulations!
 
Don't clean it. Nice find!
 
1 casper2.webp SOME MAY USE A WOODEN TOOTHPICK ON IT TO GET SOME OF THE DIRT OUT -WHICH SHOULD NOT DO ANY HARM
 
Great find. Congrats!
 
Nice coin congratulations
 
Funny first pre 1900s is 1700s
 
That's what I thought joe. Thanks all for the words.
 
Nice farthing. Seems like 1749 was a common date for Geo II farthings

I was going to say the same think. Looks like a farthing instead of a halfpence. I picked up a 1749 farthing last year. Although farthings are scarce compared to halfpence, it does seem like 1749 is the most common one found.
 
Very nice find, she is in great detail for that old of a copper. There are many opinions as to clean or not to clean. For me I get pretty aggressive (from most peoples thoughts on this subject) Basically I like to decide from what kind of coin I have and what it's possible value might be. I like the hot peroxide cleaning method, it does not hurt the coin just leaves what is really there. Sometimes dirt and corrosion enhances the actual detail of what copper is still left.
In my opinion, it's your coin, your decision as to how you want to clean it or not clean it.
 
Thanks don and treble. Don can u enlighten me on the difference. Or direct me to a post on it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom