Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to and old haunt that a buddy and I have been hitting for a while. A lot of coppers have came out of here. Got a hit and thought it was a KG but it rang in closer to silver. Dug out this.
It's a 1766 William Pitt Token. Pretty cool history to this coin. Turns out some of them were plated with white metal or silver.
Don't know that I have seen one of these pop up here on Tnet before?

Pitt Tokens - Introduction

And what it looks like not dug.

Pitt Tokens

I'm happy digging this one that's for sure.

Attachments

• DSC_1089.JPG
    DSC_1089.JPG
    870.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC_1092.JPG
    DSC_1092.JPG
    823.5 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC_1096.JPG
    DSC_1096.JPG
    767.5 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 23
As far as a back history its a funny area. I see nothing on any maps in the area back to 1870's. There is however a mill site a mile or so away. Starting to wonder if there may have been troops camped there. There was a fairly large Rev. War battle about four miles from here. the spot is also close to a large stream that would have been around in that time period as well. Most of the coppers found here have been colonial British and Irish. Two Reales have popped out and a couple early US large cents. No troop related buttons or anything???

Really nice find!! Congrats!!!

I would agree with some of the others that this is certainly a banner worthy find! A great piece of history and not one many are likely to see! Congrats! I'm putting in my banner vote!

That is a incredible find . Congratulations

I sort of remember seeing one posted somewhere before, but for sure not more than once. I'd agree very few will ever hold one of these - congrats on finding a nice piece of history!

I love finding tokens, I would die if I found something like that!

That is an excellent piece of history! Living in Pittsburgh, site of Fort Pitt, I would love to find one of those. The historical connection, coupled with the rarity, would make it a special find.

Thanks everyone. Going to return to that site for sure but may wait until the weeds die back in the fall so I can get to more ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back