What's new

1769 Counterfeit Hibernia Irish Halfpenny, KG III, Colonial Cuff Link

pjroo33

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
631
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a little help with identification. My first time out hunting in about 4 months. I've been down and out with Mono and haven't had any energy. Went to an 18th century, colonial homesite which we think might have been a tavern at some point in time. My buddy found a Vermont copper today, which was pretty exciting. We've found 6 coppers so far at this site. Today, my first find was what appears to be a Hibernia, but I don't know much about the coin. The date appears to be 176? and has George III on the obverse. My second copper is either a KG II or III, but I'm not sure. Finally, I found a very old button which I'm guessing dates to the latter half of the 18th century since everything else at the site seems to date to that period. I would appreciate it if anyone could chime in with more information on identification. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3855.webp
    IMG_3855.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • IMG_3846.webp
    IMG_3846.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_3841.webp
    IMG_3841.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3857.webp
    IMG_3857.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_3852.webp
    IMG_3852.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_3848.webp
    IMG_3848.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_3853.webp
    IMG_3853.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_3854.webp
    IMG_3854.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 958
Upvote 4
Definate 18th C cufflink piece & my fav of your finds :icon_thumright:
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Don in SJ said:
Agree with IP in the nice counterfeit Irish KGIII Halfpenny and most likely a counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny, the button I believe is part of a octagon shaped cufflink, love the design and most likely closeby will be its twin perhaps with the link attached.
Don

Don...Thanks for letting me know it is a cuff link and not a button. It has a very similar design to the silver cuff links you have on the banner. I will definitely have to go back and search for the match.
 
Nice old coppa hope to see more WTG.
 
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?
I'ld settle for whatever with a date that old! :headbang:

BW
 
bravowhiskey said:
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?
I'ld settle for whatever with a date that old! :headbang:

BW

I don't know much abount the counterfeiting either. I'm assuming they were produced around the same time period as the date of the coin. I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has some info. I know I found a counterfeit KG III Machin's Mill that was dated 1775, but was actually struck between 1787 and 1788.
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

pjroo33 said:
Don in SJ said:
Agree with IP in the nice counterfeit Irish KGIII Halfpenny and most likely a counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny, the button I believe is part of a octagon shaped cufflink, love the design and most likely closeby will be its twin perhaps with the link attached.
Don

Don...Thanks for letting me know it is a cuff link and not a button. It has a very similar design to the silver cuff links you have on the banner. I will definitely have to go back and search for the match.

Nice cufflink :thumbsup:
I am still excepting donated cufflinks for my collection.Noboby has donated yet :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
You could be the first one :laughing9:
 
pjroo33 said:
bravowhiskey said:
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?
I'ld settle for whatever with a date that old! :headbang:

BW

I don't know much abount the counterfeiting either. I'm assuming they were produced around the same time period as the date of the coin. I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has some info. I know I found a counterfeit KG III Machin's Mill that was dated 1775, but was actually struck between 1787 and 1788.


I have a 1773 Hibernia which was an error on the counterfeiters part because they weren't made that year. The best counterfeits tend to be ones that are a strange mix and match, throw in an American die and the value can go through the roof.
 
Iron Patch said:
pjroo33 said:
bravowhiskey said:
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?
I'ld settle for whatever with a date that old! :headbang:

BW

I don't know much abount the counterfeiting either. I'm assuming they were produced around the same time period as the date of the coin. I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has some info. I know I found a counterfeit KG III Machin's Mill that was dated 1775, but was actually struck between 1787 and 1788.


I have a 1773 Hibernia which was an error on the counterfeiters part because they weren't made that year. The best counterfeits tend to be ones that are a strange mix and match, throw in an American die and the value can go through the roof.
I LIKE COUNTERFEIT GEORGIES! Especially 1783, 25-83A ones!! :o :laughing9: ;D
 
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
pjroo33 said:
bravowhiskey said:
pjroo33...nice stuff be it counterfeit or not. :thumbsup: BTW can one of ya'll give a little history on the counterfeiting. What is up with that?
I'ld settle for whatever with a date that old! :headbang:

BW

I don't know much abount the counterfeiting either. I'm assuming they were produced around the same time period as the date of the coin. I'd like to know more about this as well if anyone has some info. I know I found a counterfeit KG III Machin's Mill that was dated 1775, but was actually struck between 1787 and 1788.


I have a 1773 Hibernia which was an error on the counterfeiters part because they weren't made that year. The best counterfeits tend to be ones that are a strange mix and match, throw in an American die and the value can go through the roof.
I LIKE COUNTERFEIT GEORGIES! Especially 1783, 25-83A ones!! :o :laughing9: ;D


I'm sure JR is taking good care of it! :thumbsup:
 
Some looking coppers there :thumbsup:
 
Freakin awesome A!
 
That is what this hobby is all about. Those Colonial digs have my Colonial passion soaring at a high!

Kirk
 
I like the cuff the best :icon_thumright:
 
Hibernia Counterfeit 1769 King George III ... nice one!

British Counterfeit King George III (1770-1775)

The Irish is pretty obvious, but I believe the British is counterfeit too.

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but why was that 1769 Hibernia halfpenny considered counterfeit right off the bat? I know someone with one where the print is easier to read and not as worn as this OP's, so the "Hibernia" is easily read.
I'm new to this and just curious as to how you knew that was a picture of a counterfeit.

Thanks to Don for those sites, too! Though unfortunately the last one doesn't work now.
 
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but why was that 1769 Hibernia halfpenny considered counterfeit right off the bat? I know someone with one where the print is easier to read and not as worn as this OP's, so the "Hibernia" is easily read.
I'm new to this and just curious as to how you knew that was a picture of a counterfeit.

Thanks to Don for those sites, too! Though unfortunately the last one doesn't work now.


If you look at a few examples of the 1766 or 1769 Irish Halfpennies you will see the style of the kings head is quite different than the coin posted here. That's the most obvious reason at a glance.
 
If you look at a few examples of the 1766 or 1769 Irish Halfpennies you will see the style of the kings head is quite different than the coin posted here. That's the most obvious reason at a glance.

Thanks! Appreciate the information. 8-)
 
Counterfeit or not, these are some really cool finds. Thanks for sharing, and good luck on future hunts!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom