What's new

1769 Counterfeit Hibernia Irish Halfpenny, KG III, Colonial Cuff Link

pjroo33

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
631
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a little help with identification. My first time out hunting in about 4 months. I've been down and out with Mono and haven't had any energy. Went to an 18th century, colonial homesite which we think might have been a tavern at some point in time. My buddy found a Vermont copper today, which was pretty exciting. We've found 6 coppers so far at this site. Today, my first find was what appears to be a Hibernia, but I don't know much about the coin. The date appears to be 176? and has George III on the obverse. My second copper is either a KG II or III, but I'm not sure. Finally, I found a very old button which I'm guessing dates to the latter half of the 18th century since everything else at the site seems to date to that period. I would appreciate it if anyone could chime in with more information on identification. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3855.webp
    IMG_3855.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,168
  • IMG_3846.webp
    IMG_3846.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_3841.webp
    IMG_3841.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3857.webp
    IMG_3857.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_3852.webp
    IMG_3852.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_3848.webp
    IMG_3848.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_3853.webp
    IMG_3853.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_3854.webp
    IMG_3854.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 958
Upvote 4
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Hibernia Counterfeit 1769 King George III ... nice one!

British Counterfeit King George III (1770-1775)

The Irish is pretty obvious, but I believe the British is counterfeit too.
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Congrats on some nice looking coppers they both look like KGIII to me. Nice looking button also.
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Cool Aaron that KG III front is awesome! Is the back of your rougher coin posted? The Hibernia is the KG III reverse right? I think we are definitely at a tavern site.

Brian
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Agree with IP in the nice counterfeit Irish KGIII Halfpenny and most likely a counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny, the button I believe is part of a octagon shaped cufflink, love the design and most likely closeby will be its twin perhaps with the link attached.
Don
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

baspinall said:
Cool Aaron that KG III front is awesome! Is the back of your rougher coin posted? The Hibernia is the KG III reverse right? I think we are definitely at a tavern site.

Brian

I didn't post the back of the rough coin (counterfeit KG III). Yes... The Hibernia is the KG III that is in better shape. We'll have to get back soon. Maybe next weekend.
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Sweet coppers there, pjroo! :headbang: You guys are on a killer site there. I hope you dig many more there!
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Iron Patch said:
Hibernia Counterfeit 1769 King George III ... nice one!

British Counterfeit King George III (1770-1775)

The Irish is pretty obvious, but I believe the British is counterfeit too.

Thanks for the id IP. Is the Hibernia obvious because of the bust? How did you come up with 1769?
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

pjroo33 said:
Iron Patch said:
Hibernia Counterfeit 1769 King George III ... nice one!

British Counterfeit King George III (1770-1775)

The Irish is pretty obvious, but I believe the British is counterfeit too.

Thanks for the id IP. Is the Hibernia obvious because of the bust? How did you come up with 1769?


Yep because of the bust, which is the Irish George III young head and only used on the 1766 & 1769 halfpennies, so most of the counterfeits are the same. Your third pic clearly shows the last digit is a 9 so has to be 1769. There was actually a second George bust used in 1769 but it's quite different.
 
Re: 176? Hibernia, KG II, Colonial Button

Iron Patch said:
pjroo33 said:
Iron Patch said:
Hibernia Counterfeit 1769 King George III ... nice one!

British Counterfeit King George III (1770-1775)

The Irish is pretty obvious, but I believe the British is counterfeit too.

Thanks for the id IP. Is the Hibernia obvious because of the bust? How did you come up with 1769?


Yep because of the bust, which is the Irish George III young head and only used on the 1766 & 1769 halfpennies, so most of the counterfeits are the same. Your third pic clearly shows the last digit is a 9 so has to be 1769. There was actually a second George bust used in 1769 but it's quite different.

Thanks again for all your help IP. You never cease to amaze me with your id's. I'll update my post header now.
 
thjats some cool stuff!! the research is half the fun. and theres some great guys on this forum who give lots of help when your stumped. ( you know who you are :icon_thumleft:) willy
 
Great coins! Been a while since I found a good "Georgie". Congrats.......Hogge :headbang:
 
Judging from your current finds it looks as though you have an excellent site to hunt there. I wish I knew about those old coins, there is no way for me to ID anyone of them. All jokes aside, that one coin looks like a bust of Alfred Hitchcock.
 
Looks like a great spot to me. That button kind of reminds me of a cufflink I found earlier this year. The floral design is similar. Don can vouch for me since he also found one.
Chris
 
Outstanding finds. I wish I could find a 18th century conterfeit. Your in a nice spot. Keep em comin.
 
nice finds Aaron!! sorry to hear you were down with Mono. I love that cufflink!
 
Sweet coppers, especially the Irish Halfpenny!
 
Counterfeit or not, great finds! I find similar buttons like the one you found in Germany, probably colonial and I also found one near the first settlement in Ohio, 1772ish. I guess it could also be part of a cuff link. HH, Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom