1773 Virginia Half Penny (x2), "Pligrim Hat" telegraph insulator and more..

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a bit of pit sifting in search of the rest of my Cannon Bottle (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/486088-cannon-bottle-side-lc-buttons-etc.html) I opened up a small section of the pit and uncovered a little colonial pocket spill of two VA Half Pennies in decent shape. I was more than thrilled at this. Lots of coins have come from this pit... US, Spanish, British, Connecticut and now Virginia coppers. Both these were within detector range, but 100% masked. I love moving a bit of dirt around and uncovering a slamming signal.

I have always wanted to find a Virginia Half Penny. I thought they were KGIII for a while... when I realized they were Virginia it totally made my day.

IMG_20151227_135237.jpgIMG_20151227_135209.jpg

The telegraph insulator was a big surprise. It certainly looked older than most I've ever seen (I haven't seen many ha). It wasn't until I got home and realized it is what you call a "Pilgrim Hat" insulator, then I realized its actually pretty rare. This one also appears to have some value to it was well.

IMG_20151227_171332.jpgIMG_20151227_171352.jpgIMG_20151227_171411.jpg

Some recent auction listings of similar (same) insulators.

Screenshot_2015-12-27-15-51-58.pngScreenshot_2015-12-27-16-22-35.png

Here are the keepers... only a few old tombac buttons and a woman's or child's copper ring.

IMG_20151227_183536689.jpgIMG_20151227_183556809.jpgIMG_20151227_183604543.jpg

The whole reason for me sifting today was to find more to the cannon bottle. Unfortunately, all I found were these few pieces. I have the "Ca" with some grapes from the "Capt" in Capt Bragg. I also found most of the "A Little More Grape". Hopefully enough turns up for me to get the bottle back together to display. "Grape" is canister shot or grape shot. This is a famouse quote from the Battly of Buena Vista in the Mexican-American war.

IMG_20151227_183614327.jpg

Here is what the complete bottle looks like. Its a political bottle from the Taylor Presidential campaign in 1847 or so.... I just like it because it has a cannon on the side... and that's pretty awesome.

Cannon Back.jpgCannon Front.jpg

And finally the rest of the glass from my little pit sift today. There are some nice colonial bits and pieces on there. I will put some back together for displaying.

IMG_20151227_152019021.jpg

Upvote 21
Excellent recoveries, you really have a great spot. I don't blame you for going over that place with a sifter. Unbelievable that metal coins at 6 to 8 inches could hide from a Deus. I know I have gotten silver in the same hole with iron nails.
The East Coast has taken a real saturation with all the rain we got in the last.2 weeks. It must be tough sifting wet soil.
Congrats, your hard work is paying off.

Its good to see your sifting is paying off with some nice relics. Hopefully this pit is large and produces for some time to come. :)

Nice finds. That pilgrim hat looks like it came from my neck of the woods, Stoddard is 10 minutes away. Always wanted to hit the old glass factories, may have to do some research now that snow is falling.

Great finds, absolutely awesome! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry!

Wow sweet finds, I love the glass too, nice!

Thanks Brad!

Excellent recoveries, you really have a great spot. I don't blame you for going over that place with a sifter. Unbelievable that metal coins at 6 to 8 inches could hide from a Deus. I know I have gotten silver in the same hole with iron nails.
The East Coast has taken a real saturation with all the rain we got in the last.2 weeks. It must be tough sifting wet soil.
Congrats, your hard work is paying off.

Thanks ATW! It was impossible to sift wet soil. haha. I did a bunch of sifting posts this past summer with incredible results. Lots of bone, mother of pearl and porcelain buttons... the other day all the dirt was mud balls and would NOT sift. I ended up just picking out what I could and filling back in the hole. I learned that summer is the best time to sift when the ground is very dry.

My Deus and T2 both have amazing separation in the high trash areas. I have found many things masked by iron where you hear only the iron, and where you hear a nice tone with the iron over top of it. In this pit area I have dug most of the iron signals, but there's still tons of iron down there. I run with no disc, and those two half pennies were silent masked.... where the iron was big enough to mask the target, but small\deep enough not to tell me there was iron there. At most this pit is 8-12 inches deep and I've been pulling loads of masked targets from all levels in it.

Its good to see your sifting is paying off with some nice relics. Hopefully this pit is large and produces for some time to come. :)

Thanks Keith! The pit is overwhelmingly large. I will have lots more to share... and when I get that new Deus elliptical coil, I have a feeling there will be some new firsts for me with some good finds to share.

Nice finds. That pilgrim hat looks like it came from my neck of the woods, Stoddard is 10 minutes away. Always wanted to hit the old glass factories, may have to do some research now that snow is falling.

Thanks qaela4! That's really cool... It sounds like it came from up there based on those auction descriptions. There are no markings at all on it, but it looks identical to those images. Detecting season is ending and research season begins! I have plenty to research this winter with hopes of some new sites for the spring.

Very nice finds congrats

Thanks trapperart!

I glued the pieces of the plate together last night. These things look great in my display and I have 6 stoneware\earthenware items in progress but still looking for the rest of the pieces. One item I was able to complete (in a post this summer) which was a Davenport pearlware bowl c.1805-1830

I would guess this plate is mid 1800's. I should be able to tell with the markers mark on the back of it. I think I have enough to identify it once I get around to looking into it.

IMG_20151229_115515659.jpg

IMG_20151229_115528936.jpg

Made a nice spot for the plate next to the insulator!

IMG_20151229_115620500.jpg

Figured out the pottery piece... It's by E. Challinor. CHALLINOR, Edward (1792-1879) and it was made in England. I would guess this piece is 1840's era.

If I can find the rest of the pieces, it will look something like this.

IMG_20151229_200437.jpg

Thanks to Googles help autocorrecting my interpretations of the partial Hallmark on the back of mine. Really cool to see what it would have looked like when it was used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back