hogge
Silver Member
- Joined
- Mar 13, 2008
- Messages
- 3,825
- Reaction score
- 1,528
- Golden Thread
- 5
- Location
- Pittsfield Ma.
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 5
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
1786 "VERMONTENSIUM" Updated Pics WOW!
It's been a long dry spell for me but today changed everything. My brother and I decided to try exploring for a new spot and found a DANDY! After following a stone wall deep in an area we've always had good luck in, we came across a foundation we never knew of. 15 mins into it I found this. Right outa da ground I could read the date! I knew I had a fabulous coin that was going to clean up nice. I have only hit it with water and a soft toothbrush but WHAT DETAIL! The scans still show alot of crud, but holding it in my hand under light it LOOKS MINT! I MEAN MINT!!!!! Every tiny detail shows! The leaves in the damn trees even! Every letter, the eyes in the sun,the small little lines in the back support for the plow, the lines in the rays around the eye. EVERYTHING IS SHARP. And you should see it under magnification! If you look at the pic in the Red Book, thats exactly what it looks likeand maybe even better. I'm not kidding. I'm afraid to put it in peroxide so I need it proffessionally cleaned. It looks like it was just minted. Struck on a beautifully round planchet and very well centered.(as alot of vermonts were NOT). I still don't believe it. I was shaking when I started to look at it right out of the ground. Had to have a smoke to calm down. If you guys could see this thing under light you would freak. I'm going to definitely have it proffessionally cleaned. Anyone recommend where I can send this to? I currently have an order being graded at ANACS and can usually come close to most grades. This one HAS to be VF or better! The scanner I use sucks. The first 2 picks are from straight out of the ground. The next are after water. Oh ya, found some other stuff too! LOL- AWSOME link Evolution.
It's been a long dry spell for me but today changed everything. My brother and I decided to try exploring for a new spot and found a DANDY! After following a stone wall deep in an area we've always had good luck in, we came across a foundation we never knew of. 15 mins into it I found this. Right outa da ground I could read the date! I knew I had a fabulous coin that was going to clean up nice. I have only hit it with water and a soft toothbrush but WHAT DETAIL! The scans still show alot of crud, but holding it in my hand under light it LOOKS MINT! I MEAN MINT!!!!! Every tiny detail shows! The leaves in the damn trees even! Every letter, the eyes in the sun,the small little lines in the back support for the plow, the lines in the rays around the eye. EVERYTHING IS SHARP. And you should see it under magnification! If you look at the pic in the Red Book, thats exactly what it looks likeand maybe even better. I'm not kidding. I'm afraid to put it in peroxide so I need it proffessionally cleaned. It looks like it was just minted. Struck on a beautifully round planchet and very well centered.(as alot of vermonts were NOT). I still don't believe it. I was shaking when I started to look at it right out of the ground. Had to have a smoke to calm down. If you guys could see this thing under light you would freak. I'm going to definitely have it proffessionally cleaned. Anyone recommend where I can send this to? I currently have an order being graded at ANACS and can usually come close to most grades. This one HAS to be VF or better! The scanner I use sucks. The first 2 picks are from straight out of the ground. The next are after water. Oh ya, found some other stuff too! LOL- AWSOME link Evolution.
Attachments
Last edited by a moderator:
He wants me to bring it back down to his shop so he can take more pics. He also wants to see and log in some of our other colonials. He's a real nice man. I'm hoping the moderators will see these pics and post these on the banner instead. If you look close enough, some of the original bright toning is still ther after 220 yrs! There is some pitting but not alot, mostly on the landscape front. I guess you can expect that in a copper after 200 yrs. in the ground. I still can't believe this thing. I bet Tony will give me some camera pics as I can see them coming out better, with more detail, than my scanner. GOOD LUCK to ALL.......................HOGGE
Looks beautiful!







