1787 FUGIO CENT, Large Cent, coins and relics- My best day ever!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got home from the best metal detecting hunt I've ever had.

This morning I had the metal detecting itch, so I decided to go to a house, built in the very early 1800s with my father. It was my father's first time out detecting.

The first find was a modern penny, showing my father what a good tone sounded like on his machine. Then I got suited up, grabbed my ACE 400 and started detecting.

My first target that I dug was a wad of aluminum foil by the front steps. Then I walked a couple of feet and BAM!! I got a really good coin signal. I dug the plug, and just as I popped it up with my shovel, I saw a large copper drop in to the hole. I reached down and pulled it out. I didn't recognize the design at first. Then I sprayed the coin with water and patted it dry with a soft piece of cloth. This is what I saw:

1787fugiocentfront.jpg
Front

1787fugiocentback.jpg
Back

I showed the coin to the owner of the house, and after some research, I found out it was a Fugio Cent, the rarest coin I have ever found metal detecting!!!

After the amazing discovery of the Fugio Cent, things slowed down a bit. The next good targets I dug were these wheat pennies, 1919 and 1945. My father also dug a 1947 wheat cent (not pictured)
1919and1945wheatcents.jpg

Then my father came over and showed me the the things he had found so far. He had found some clad, a wheat cent, a dog license, and some other relics. He was getting ready to go inside and talk to the house owner, when the house owner came around the corner. While they were talking I dug this tombac button and two lead rifle balls (rifle because they are smaller than musket sized):

largecolonialtombacbuttonfront.jpg
Button Front

largecolonialtombackbuttonback.jpg
Button Back

leadrifleball.JPG
Rifle balls. They are pretty old because you can see where they were cut from the mold.

My father and the home owner went inside and I soon dug this very green Indian head cent:
[edit] After some cleaning I found that the date was 1864.
badlywornindianheadfront.jpg

After digging some clad and trash I got another great coin signal. I dug the plug, pulled it back, and put it on the edge of the hole. Then I looked into the hole and saw a large copper poking out of the center of the hole. I pulled it out, sprayed it and patted it with the soft cloth. Here it is:

183-largecent.jpg
Front

183-largecentback.jpg
Back

It is in pretty good shape, although it is going to be very hard to get a date off the coin because it is worn in that spot. This design (newer Matron/coronet head) dates from 1836 to 1839. This coin was the last hole of the day.

Thank you for reading this very long post!
Good luck and Happy hunting!!
VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 35

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice digs. And great Fugio - Those pre-US pattern coppers are always a joy to see

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell of a hunt, congrats!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you and your dad on a great day out detecting together!
Awesome story and pics! I detect with my son and we have so much fun! I can feel the excitement and fun you guys had.
Cherish these times together.

Stormywrath

Apr 4, 2017
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Minelab 1000, Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic finds! Very your father will be hooked watching you pull all those out! Glad he didn't get skunked!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day indeed! I want one of those Fugios really bad. What a great design on those.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heck of a nice find, and in pretty decent shape I'd say. Congrats!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!! Well done on the other finds but that Fugio is amazing! A true bucket lister!
Congrats and HH

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, this is diggers father...... yes, this was my first detecting outing. What a fun time outdoors learning something new from my son! Now I know what keeps people going back out there in this sport/ hobby/ way of life. You wont get a bite if your hook's not in the water I guess. Now I want to go on a road trip/ overnight hunt. :metaldetector:+ :boots: Keep searching, there must be plenty of good finds to be discovered & as long as people have been around they lose things.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing day of finds- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
VTColonialDigger

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for all the kind remarks! After examining the Fugio more closely, I have found that it has pointed rays. Don't know if this makes the coin more valuable or not.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Fugio :icon_thumleft: Sounds like you and your dad had a great hunt at a promising property. Looking forward to what else comes from there.

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt. A fugio is on my bucket list! Congrats.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt
Congrats