1787 NOVA CAESAREA

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Everyone,
Met up with Stormfighter(Dan) and we hit the spot where I got my first coppers last Sunday. We had an awesome day. Dan made some great finds he is going to post, he got the first coin of the day 5 mins. into the hunt (No more head starts for you buddy) about knocked me over. I got three coppers, one is a coronet, one is a draped bust and the third one is this beautiful 1787 New Jersey Copper. The reverse of the coin is in better shape than the obverse but the pictures don't do the obverse any justice, you can see a lot more than pictured. Here are the pics, thanks for looking.
Glenn

Attachments

• 11238F7VII 015.jpg
    11238F7VII 015.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 782
  • 11238F7VII 001.jpg
    11238F7VII 001.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 11238F7VII 016.jpg
    11238F7VII 016.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 773
  • 11238F7VII 020.jpg
    11238F7VII 020.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 760
  • 11238F7VII 021.jpg
    11238F7VII 021.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding a NJ copper!

Don

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Digs, I can't wait to find a Coppa, one of these days!! Congrats!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats on your 3 Copper coin finds, Glenn, especially your NJ Copper. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It must be getting pretty cold by you now. Keep at it as long as you can!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
Doing it justice or not...that is a GREAT hunt in my opinion. I'd love to come over there by you guys and search and search and search until I found a coppa like that! I don't think the odds would be very favorable in Kentucky, although easily possible. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

DD-777 said:
Truly fantastic digs my friend - congrats... :thumbsup:
Thanks DD-777 :icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ said:
Congrats on finding a NJ copper!

Don
Thanks Don :icon_thumleft:

ringfinder said:
Great Digs, I can't wait to find a Coppa, one of these days!! Congrats!
Thanks ringfinder, hope you get one. I didn't get any until I got onto the older spots. Good Luck :icon_thumleft:

Captn_SE said:
Congrats on your 3 Copper coin finds, Glenn, especially your NJ Copper. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It must be getting pretty cold by you now. Keep at it as long as you can!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan, Hope we can squeeze in a few more. This day started with temps in the 20's and an inch of frozen crust on the ground. Once the inevitable comes........Back to the beach :icon_thumleft:

kevo said:
Doing it justice or not...that is a GREAT hunt in my opinion. I'd love to come over there by you guys and search and search and search until I found a coppa like that! I don't think the odds would be very favorable in Kentucky, although easily possible. :thumbsup:
Thanks Kevo, Great hunt for sure, best ever for me, everyone must be wondering why I'm walking around like this ;D Good luck in the hunt :icon_thumleft:

Jerry1NJ said:
Great finds!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Jerry1NJ :icon_thumleft:

silverfreak said:
Glenn...awesome finds my friend. Congrats :thumbsup:
Thanks Bryce :icon_thumleft:

rodgerdodger said:
Congratulations nice finds.
Thanks rodgerdodger :icon_thumleft:

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
This would be a great hunt for our group and you should be proud. Congratulations on a job well done. :thumbsup:
Chris
Thanks Chris, You and your nephews pull out some nice finds, I've seen them posted forever. You never get the feel for things until you start finding them yourself. I can see why you all get so excited about the old finds you make. Good luck to you guys :icon_thumleft:

allen said:
awesome !!!!
Thanks Allen :icon_thumleft:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the NJ Copper....still looking for one.

NJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding one of the Very Scarce varieties of the NJ coppers (Rarity 5+), shame it was not in a bit better shape, but there is enough detail on both sides for a positive attribution.

Don

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the 87' Glenn.....I know you're looking at a much sweeter picture :thumbsup: Great dig's all around!!!!

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

N.J.THer said:
Congrats on the NJ Copper....still looking for one.

NJ
Thanks NJ :icon_thumleft: Good Luck in the hunt.

Kiros32 said:
Superb find my friend, congrats :thumbsup:
Thanks Kiros32, Good Luck to you :thumbsup:

Don in SJ said:
Congratulations on finding one of the Very Scarce varieties of the NJ coppers (Rarity 5+), shame it was not in a bit better shape, but there is enough detail on both sides for a positive attribution.

Don
Thanks Don for the info, I wish the detail showed thru in the posted pics, definitely more to see. I'm looking at it as a Maris 64-u is that what you see or am I missing something? Thanks again for the kind words. :thumbsup:

civilman1 said:
Congrat's on the 87' Glenn.....I know you're looking at a much sweeter picture :thumbsup: Great dig's all around!!!!
Thanks civilman1, This coin shocked me, in the field it looked like it was going to be a blank, it is pretty thin and showed no detail. As I cleaned it at home, I started to see the shield on the reverse and I'm thinking token and thought that was cool. Then I see the E Pluribus Unum and I run to the computer and google it up and discovered what I found, what a thrill. Good Luck to you!
Glenn

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:

Don

Fantastic finds, NJTH, especially the NJ Copper! The number 1 coin on my want list, I would settle for any variety. You found a rare variety which is phenomenal!!!!!

Don, can you let us know which variety it is??

Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread