What's new

1788 Spanish Silver Reale Found in Ohio!

OhioCoinHunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac with Sunray X-1 Probe, 8x6 SEF Butterfly coil, 10x12 SEF Butterfly coil, 15x12 SEF Butterfly Coil
Today I hunted a park and found my best find to date. The hunt began slowly with a silver thimble find and a couple of wheats. Then I got a high toned signal at about 5 inches deep. I dug the target and saw what I initially thought was a smooth punch out disc from an electrical junction box. I rubbed the dirt off and then noticed some slight features. After carefully washing the rest of the dirt off with water from a bottle I carry with me, I saw the date and realized I found a silver coin from 1788! Wow! What a big surprise! It had a name on it - Carolus III. When I got home I typed that name along with "silver" and "coin" in the Yahoo search engine box and hit enter. I then learned I had discovered Spanish Silver! I think it's a 1 or 4 reale coin. Not sure. But what an amazing find! Someone dropped that coin in the 1700's before Ohio was a state...and I found it today. I'm thrilled. Dan

My finds from the hunt:

4427598859_01ba269e1e.jpg


Silver thimble that says, "The Oakland Theatre":

4427599797_383cf26f8d.jpg


Spanish Silver Reale:

4427599613_84a7bc81b5.jpg


4428365342_5324bdae75.jpg


Here's a video of the hunt for anyone interested:

 
Upvote 0
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Great finds! And welcome to Treasurenet :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Nice Find Bud! Congrats......Hogge :headbang:
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Holly Crap !! :o

I just got a 12x14 SEF I hope it has the same results. I'd say you have a 1 or 2 Spanish Reale, I'm just learning them so not sure. :icon_scratch:

Great finds !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

One reale, and looks like it was in circulation for a while.. Still a good find
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

hey homie, hit me on Ytube, depending on where you're at I might have some sites for ya.
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

awesome find Dan, what other coins you got there? What is the large one at top of pic? looks like a dollar?
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Great finds Dan !! :headbang: I always look forward to your videos ! Keep them coming.
Glen
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Goes4ever said:
awesome find Dan, what other coins you got there? What is the large one at top of pic? looks like a dollar?

I also found some modern coins and two wheats. The large thing at the top of the pic that looks like a dollar is a copper whatzit.
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

WOOOO HOOO ONE FOR OHIO! Thats awesome....I like seeing early coins from the midwest!
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Sweet Find! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

So..ummm.without out giving your exact new favorite hunting spot, what part of Ohio? And Congrats! :headbang:
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

nice real!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

I found a 1775,1782,and a no date spanish 2 reale at a old park in ohio. Each at a different time,in the woods and a wonderful experience! Ohio is great for old coins. I cant wait to see whats next to find. Congratulations and Happy Hunting!!!
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

You found a good coin !!
The "IJ" is the mark of joint assayers who worked at the mint in Lima Peru.
The demonination of the coin is 1R if 20mm, 2R if 28mm and 4R if 34 mm.
The coin contains .9027 fine silver
Don.......
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

just by sizing up against the other coins i would say 2 reale. about the size of a quarter. its worn were it would tell you the denomonation. nice hunt. willy
 
Re: Spanish Silver Found in Ohio!

Good video, I guess you realised the nice thimble was aluminum. :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom