What's new

1788 Spanish Silver Reale Found in Ohio!

OhioCoinHunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac with Sunray X-1 Probe, 8x6 SEF Butterfly coil, 10x12 SEF Butterfly coil, 15x12 SEF Butterfly Coil
Today I hunted a park and found my best find to date. The hunt began slowly with a silver thimble find and a couple of wheats. Then I got a high toned signal at about 5 inches deep. I dug the target and saw what I initially thought was a smooth punch out disc from an electrical junction box. I rubbed the dirt off and then noticed some slight features. After carefully washing the rest of the dirt off with water from a bottle I carry with me, I saw the date and realized I found a silver coin from 1788! Wow! What a big surprise! It had a name on it - Carolus III. When I got home I typed that name along with "silver" and "coin" in the Yahoo search engine box and hit enter. I then learned I had discovered Spanish Silver! I think it's a 1 or 4 reale coin. Not sure. But what an amazing find! Someone dropped that coin in the 1700's before Ohio was a state...and I found it today. I'm thrilled. Dan

My finds from the hunt:

4427598859_01ba269e1e.jpg


Silver thimble that says, "The Oakland Theatre":

4427599797_383cf26f8d.jpg


Spanish Silver Reale:

4427599613_84a7bc81b5.jpg


4428365342_5324bdae75.jpg


Here's a video of the hunt for anyone interested:

 
Upvote 0
I found mine under the football bleachers of a highschool built in 1913.... just never know
 
I love diggin' them reales!!Due to the fact they were legal tender into the 1850's,one could pop up anywhere!!
 
Reale in OH, hmmm ?? I say banner !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D
 
Way to go bud! Welcome to t-net! Nothing like that "thrill" of finding something great! Congrats :headbang:
 
kuger said:
I love diggin' them reales!!Due to the fact they were legal tender into the 1850's,one could pop up anywhere!!

Yeah, Kuger, I recently read they were legal tender up to the 1850's. I've actually learned a lot about reales in the last 5 days since I found mine. I appreciate the info you posted (as well as all the other info others have posted about reales). Finding one is an incredible experience...as you know. Happy Hunting!
 
OhioCoinHunter said:
kuger said:
I love diggin' them reales!!Due to the fact they were legal tender into the 1850's,one could pop up anywhere!!

Yeah, Kuger, I recently read they were legal tender up to the 1850's. I've actually learned a lot about reales in the last 5 days since I found mine. I appreciate the info you posted (as well as all the other info others have posted about reales). Finding one is an incredible experience...as you know. Happy Hunting!
You bet and Congrats!Its a shame that they arent worth more.....not that it matters,but it just doesnt make sense.I would bet you will find several more now,the first one comes slow but after that they show up more frequently.I seem to go in streaks,I like it!!!! :thumbsup:
 
WOW - Mega huge congrats buddy!!!! I can only dream of finding one of those!!! :icon_pirat:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom