1794 GB Halfpenny "Hampshire - Portsea," 1803 Draped Bust Cent, Buttons

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting for a full 8 hour day in the woods today. I saw 4 box turtles and 3 garter snakes. It was exciting to pull the token out of the ground. I was on the former farm of a whaling Capt. who made 7 trips around Cape Horn so it was great to see a coin with a three mast ship. Still nice and readable with lettered edging. The Draped bust is toasty but still happy to see her.

Attachments

• tres420.jpg
    tres420.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 96
  • tres421.jpg
    tres421.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 79
  • tres422.jpg
    tres422.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 77
  • tres423.jpg
    tres423.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 71
  • tres424.jpg
    tres424.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 30

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. That’s a fairly scarce token. There are several varieties, but the edge lettering usually reads (in conjunction with the word “PAYABLE” on the reverse): “AT GEORGE EDWARD SARGEANTS PORTSEA”. That’s the Sargeant family arms on the obverse… three dolphins on a shield with a chevron, crested with a hand holding a javelin/spear/dart.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting for a full 8 hour day in the woods today. I saw 4 box turtles and 3 garter snakes. It was exciting to pull the token out of the ground. I was on the former farm of a whaling Capt. who made 7 trips around Cape Horn so it was great to see a coin with a three mast ship. Still nice and readable with lettered edging. The Draped bust is toasty but still happy to see her.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds and a healthy forest makes for a perfect day imo, cheers

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the token! It doesn't get much better than that!

Congratulations 👍

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coins! Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread