1795 Capper Liberty - My First Large Cent - And Its A Good One! - NEW PHOTOS

Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! If you saw this post at 2 am yesterday, you most likely realized the photos were invalid and unable to load.

I have posted this fantastic relic for all to see. Enjoy!

Sorry for the sideways photos - How can I fix that?

Whoooooo! I cannot believe what I found yesterday!

I was metal detecting on a large wooded hillside in Pennsylvania looking for antique shotgun shells. My metal detector sounded a blip that said there was iron under a log. I know from experience that logs have a tendency to mask good signals so In kicked it aside. Thank god I did.

The blip turned into the sound of a shotgun shell. I dug 4 inches down and saw what I believed was a pewter spoon. Exited, I pulled out my camera and started filming. I reached in and pulled out a disk! I flipped it over and saw a colonial-style face staring at me! At first, I thought I found a woods Hibernia, But no it was way better!

I rased the coin into the sun and saw a hat suspended on a pole.

HOLY MOLY! I JUST FOUND A 1793 - 1796 CAPPED LIBERTY LARGE CENT! WHOOOOOOOO!

This coin is beautiful! Through the dirt, the impeccable details shine! But sadly there’s a drawback. : (

It appears the coin has the famed red and green pit corrosion. Ahhhhhh! It seems like the coins I find either come out in perfect shape or destroyed.

Do any of you have experience with this type of corrosion? I have gently taken a toothpick to the edge and it appears that the highly acidic soil has eaten at the copper for 200 years. From what I can see through the tiny fissure in the corrosion, the entire surface has minute pits the size of sandpaper covering the entire surface. This corrosion kills me! I don’t believe it has any patina.

even with the dirt on it, I am happy that I can see the face, hair, side lettering, and liberty. Sadly no date ( I’m assuming 1795 ) is it worth the risk of cleaning it or should I leave it alone?

While we're on the topic? How much is a coin like with worth in this shape? I dont think id ever sell it because its awesome! Good luck out there, stay safe, and Thanks in advance

IMG_2666.jpg

fullsizeoutput_6b06.jpeg

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2666.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    671.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Upvote 27

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats its those blips that get those deep coins. Thats awesome Im always happy to see someone find cool stuff like that. I still have an empty bucket waiting on one of those I have enough empty buckets to bail out the Titanic lol. I would leave it as it is if it were mine but its yours to enjoy and display.. Well done my friend and great post.......Tommy

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Congrats on your first LC. It being a Liberty Cap makes it all the sweeter! You will get a dozen different opinions on cleaning it. Just remember, once you clean it, you can not unclean it. Of course I have my opinion on cleaning it.....dry clean it only. Tooth pick and scratch brush only.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't currently figure out the date, what do you have to lose by trying to clean that area to determine it? Without a date, it isn't worth much anyway. I'd start with an acetone wash with a soft bristled tooth brush, followed by a pencil rubbing. If no help doing that, a dry brass brush would be my next attempt. Then Andre's pencils and more aggressive methods if I still think a date is possible. Your choice though, and as Jeff H mentioned, you can't undo any of those cleaning steps.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a great piece of U.S. history. I wish you luck with any cleaning you attempt. It is a dilemma, as these coppers are so delicate. Congrats!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a beauty! Congrats!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it in an ultrasonic with no rubbing If the coin looks solid after the sonobath send it in for an opinion on cleaning by a professional. If it a 1793 It could still be worth over a grand if you don't ruin it!

luckyrock3

Sep 9, 2013
northern MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it in an ultrasonic with no rubbing If the coin looks solid after the sonobath send it in for an opinion on cleaning by a professional. If it a 1793 It could still be worth over a grand if you don't ruin it!
I own an ultrasonic cleaning tank, I wouldn't put a coin like that in there!!! All coins I've tried in there do come out cleaner, but also very dark?
IMG_20161206_122658323.jpg

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool large cent .Still looking for one . As a collector of US large cents from a value perspective coin is really not valuable from a monetary perspective. As you’ve mentioned the date is really not legible and from a condition perspective it is really not gradable. The surface is so pitted and therefore unstable I personally would not mess with much . Someone said it could value $1000 . In my opinion that’s not the case or even close. Just my two cents ; no pun intended. Great save ; love her just like she is.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Try an andres pencil on it. I used one the other day on a crusty v nickel. Came out a Lot better. Nice pics

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coin cleaning.jpg
Since I just went through the cleaning process with a similar (not as good) coin, I thought I would share some photos. This might help you decide how much to clean. Personally, I wish that I had stopped with the dry cleaning, but I'm still happy with what I have.

The first pic is uncleaned, although it looks like I might have rubbed at the location where the date would be.

The second pic is just tooth picked and dry brushed.

The third pic is after cleaning in hot peroxide.

I think your date might be there. I would start with cleaning it dry, and see what you have.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Gavin", Judging from your photos, I'm leaning toward it being a 1794 because of the position of the "Y" in
"LIBERTY" in relation to the forehead of the bust, & because it seems to have "triangles"(dentils) on the perimeter/border of the obverse rather than a "beaded" perimeter/border like on the 1793. There is a very rare variety of the 1794 that has "stars" between the "triangles"(dentils) on the perimeter/border of the reverse. If you could post some good photos of the reverse, it might be helpful and revealing if someone can spot any identifying clues. Good luck ! J.T.G

https://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/1794-Starred-Rev-Liberty-Cap-Large-Cent.html

1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent.png

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That last pic of your hand, the coin, and the beautiful cloud filled sky said it all. I can almost hear you saying YIPEE! just looking at the pic. You were on cloud nine that day...and probably still are! Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She's a beauty! :occasion14:

Those are my favorite old coppers! :icon_thumleft:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the copper looks like it has still some good details. Dry brushing would be the first option to see what develops.
Congratulations anyways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread