1795 half dollar

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Etrac
I found this 1795 half dollar this past week end. It is the oldest silver coin I have ever found. It was found at an old ghost town only about 2" deep.

I will try to post better pictures.

Believe me I am exited about the find as I have been carrying it around with me from the day it was found.

The coin is a two leaf variety. There are scratches across the face which were not done by me. It is as clean as it is going to get. At least I won't do any thing more to it. It is in a plastic holder to protect it. I believe the coin value may be in the $1,200 range based on condition. The mintage was 299,000 but fewer than 4,000 in any condition are estimated to have survived according to psgs. I have attached larger pictures. If I am able to produce better pictures I will revise my post.

It is the 0-113 variety. I can see the E under the A in states and there is a die lump by the 5 in the date. I believe it might be a 0-113a variety. I will have to have someone look at. The 0-113 is rare. The 0-113A is very rare. The 0-113 has an estimated population of 201 to 500. The 0-113A has an estimated population of 81-200 coins.

Thank you testing 123 for the information.

I forgot to add earlier that it was found on private property with permission from the owner.

I reduced the size of the pictures as suggested. I think they look a lot better.
Thank you all for your comments

Attachments

• halffront.jpg
    halffront.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,494
  • halfback.jpg
    halfback.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,499
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Regarding Crusader's questions below.

"Out of interest, have you told the owner of the land the same info you have told us? What was your agreement with them? Just curious, how you guys in the US operate when finding valuable finds?"

All land owners are different. Some are very concerned about liability. Some would like to see what you find. Some would like to see what you find and have a few items. Some want everything you find. Most land owners I have gotten permission from could care less what you find and are too busy too even think about it.

I am always very respectful of the land owner and use care when digging. I Always fill my holes and treat the land as if it was my own. I offer to try to find any metal items they may have lost. I like to send a thank note at the end of the season or drop off a gift.

Where I am currently detecting the only thing the land owner is concerned with is that we are careful not to get too close to his bulls in the pasture as one is not very friendly. He comes by once in a while while I am detecting. I try to show him what I am finding but he seems disinterested so I don't bother him anymore. I did not tell or show him the half that I found but if he would find out about it and wanted it. I would not hesitate to give it too him. The fun is in the finding for me not keeping.

I made a few more nice finds this week end but no coins. My friend I detect with made some awesome finds this week end. I do not have permission to post pictures of what he found. I hope to post my finds later today.

I am very careful about too much detail when posting my finds for obvious reasons.

Thank you all for the comments and this was a legitimate find despite what a few of you are responding to my post.

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
bloo said:
Regarding Crusader's questions below.

I am very careful about too much detail when posting my finds for obvious reasons.

that's a bunch of nonsense if you ask me,details about where you are on the planet when you found it is one thing details about a location within a "generic" homestead and the process of finding the coin is totally different.

RPSwede

Apr 20, 2011
Sparks NV
Detector(s) used
MXT pro , AT pro
Really AWESOME find! what kind of detector was used? And how deep was that find of a lifetime? Again congratz Bloo!!!

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Wow what an Awesome Find and Congrats :thumbsup: ; and wow to those values also.

Karl

OP
OP
B

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
I was using the Fisher F75. The coin was only about 2 inches deep. I took it to a coin shop yesterday and was told the value of this coin is in the $700 range. I will not sell it so the value does not matter much to me. The scratches across the face of the coin are adjustment marks done before the coining process and will not detract from the value.

The coin is an overton 113 variety. The die had a crack and the damaged die marks show on the coin. On the obverse there is an A over an E in the word STATES.

Thank you all for your interest in my find and your kind words.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it found in Wisconsin?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o I think it's "A Magnificent Discovery" !!! :headbang: Were there other finds dug that day ??? Any strange things happening in the ghost town ??? I bet you were going wild after finding the 1795 half 8) 8) Quite a story left untold :headbang: Congratulations , Dawg

OP
OP
B

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
I remember doing a dance when I found the coin and high fives from my detecting buddy. The only strange thing I can remember was that a Turkey Vulture was circling close to where the coin was found. Seeing this drew me to the spot. I also had to keep a close eye on bulls that were near by as I was told one was not too friendly. I did not find much of anything else but a few flat buttons that day.

Thank you all again for your interest in my find.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
2 inches is really crazy. Thats a footstep away from being kicked further into the ground or out and into someone else's lucky hands. Or even a good rain from being found by sight! Of course it's unlikely people are going to ghost towns very often with the idea they might see a 200+ year old coin sticking out of the ground! Outstanding find. Congrats.

Alabaster

Jan 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Ace 350
That is a spectacular find!!! Congratulations!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I made a few more nice finds this week end but no coins. My friend I detect with made some awesome finds this week end. I do not have permission to post pictures of what he found. I hope to post my finds later today.

Could you tell us what your friend found? How long have you been hunting this site? What state are you located?

People post about their great finds on here all the time. You don't have to be specific, but behind every great find is a great story :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread