1795 half dollar

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Etrac
I found this 1795 half dollar this past week end. It is the oldest silver coin I have ever found. It was found at an old ghost town only about 2" deep.

I will try to post better pictures.

Believe me I am exited about the find as I have been carrying it around with me from the day it was found.

The coin is a two leaf variety. There are scratches across the face which were not done by me. It is as clean as it is going to get. At least I won't do any thing more to it. It is in a plastic holder to protect it. I believe the coin value may be in the $1,200 range based on condition. The mintage was 299,000 but fewer than 4,000 in any condition are estimated to have survived according to psgs. I have attached larger pictures. If I am able to produce better pictures I will revise my post.

It is the 0-113 variety. I can see the E under the A in states and there is a die lump by the 5 in the date. I believe it might be a 0-113a variety. I will have to have someone look at. The 0-113 is rare. The 0-113A is very rare. The 0-113 has an estimated population of 201 to 500. The 0-113A has an estimated population of 81-200 coins.

Thank you testing 123 for the information.

I forgot to add earlier that it was found on private property with permission from the owner.

I reduced the size of the pictures as suggested. I think they look a lot better.
Thank you all for your comments

Attachments

• halffront.jpg
    halffront.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,494
  • halfback.jpg
    halfback.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,499
Upvote 0

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell us more about how and where you found it. What part of the country was it found?
I'll vote banner once I hear the story!

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
:hello2: :icon_thumright: WOW :o !!!!! Big Beautiful Early American Silver !!!!!!!! The find of a lifetime !!!!!!!!!! Congradulations !!!!!!!!!! BANNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer.
Only word I can think of.
That, or just amazing.
Carl

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
This is one "bad" find! Tell us more details of the adventure. Is this a California find? Congrats man.

stagger

Sep 29, 2010
Carrizozo, NM
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado Umax * Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D/505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one SWEEEEET find. Congrats. At $1400 a pop I'd dig 2" holes all day :icon_thumright:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
I say that's a $600.00 G4 Banner find. I could only dream of finding that.
What state are you in other than bliss.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
joeyfresh said:
I think I remember someone on here said they could be valuable. Either way, great coin!
Yes, Valuable.
Especially to the finder. Congrats & tell us about the finding ;D

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Absolutely awesome find! I don't have the Overton book in front of me, but it looks like the O-113 variety. One of its attributes is the die lump by the 5 in the date. AND in STATES, the letter A is actually covering up the letter "E" so when someone started making the die, he put STETES originally. Look closely, you should be able to see parts of the E sticking out.

On the obverse, those "scratches" on the face look to be Adjustment marks. These are mint-made and were created when an overweight planchet was "adjusted" by filing away excess silver to get it down to the desired weight.

Definitely banner-worthy!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Find of a lifetime! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a coin! An old friend of mine dug one about 10 years ago and Minelab used it in their adds for quite a while. When a big silver coin appears I think the last thing anyone thinks is it will be 1700s American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread