1795 half dollar

bloo

Nov 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Etrac
I found this 1795 half dollar this past week end. It is the oldest silver coin I have ever found. It was found at an old ghost town only about 2" deep.

I will try to post better pictures.

Believe me I am exited about the find as I have been carrying it around with me from the day it was found.

The coin is a two leaf variety. There are scratches across the face which were not done by me. It is as clean as it is going to get. At least I won't do any thing more to it. It is in a plastic holder to protect it. I believe the coin value may be in the $1,200 range based on condition. The mintage was 299,000 but fewer than 4,000 in any condition are estimated to have survived according to psgs. I have attached larger pictures. If I am able to produce better pictures I will revise my post.

It is the 0-113 variety. I can see the E under the A in states and there is a die lump by the 5 in the date. I believe it might be a 0-113a variety. I will have to have someone look at. The 0-113 is rare. The 0-113A is very rare. The 0-113 has an estimated population of 201 to 500. The 0-113A has an estimated population of 81-200 coins.

Thank you testing 123 for the information.

I forgot to add earlier that it was found on private property with permission from the owner.

I reduced the size of the pictures as suggested. I think they look a lot better.
Thank you all for your comments

Attachments

• halffront.jpg
    halffront.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,494
  • halfback.jpg
    halfback.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,499
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This find speaks for itself :icon_king:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Only a few people in the forums know the feeling of what it is like to get a nice signal and to find 18th century US silver staring up out of the dirt pile. Carry it around? My Flowing Hair Half Dime went right into a (PVC free) holder and into a safe, where it will stay until I figure out what I am going to do with it.

When are we gonna hear the details of the find?

Amazing find! Welcome to the 1795 Flowing Hair Club!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Wow, :o what a great find !! I imagine your not on banner because of the pictures and thats just a guess but..... :dontknow: If you remove the small photos and take the large photos and make them half as small you won't lose any detail that way. Instead of making the small pictures bigger and losing detail... Anyway if you do this I'd think you'll get banner but again not 100% sure just a guess... :icon_scratch:

Also this is a coin you'll want to have graded in my opinion. :icon_thumleft: They will grantee the condition of the coin and secure your investment. Keep in mind it will likely grade as cleaned or environmentally damaged but you may still get VF details or something and worth the cost. :headbang:

Congratulations, best of luck on banner !! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
:icon_thumleft: what a find.... almost back to the very start of the good ole USA coin making .... just amazing what is found .....

banner banner banner

Beautiful coin .... why can't they make beautiful coins like that nowadays ?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A flowing hair half????!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

No doubt we will be seeing this at the top soon. Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Would definitely like to hear more of the story behind it.... :)

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW is all i can say!!!!!!!! Banner!!!!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Very sweet looking silver!! Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Steve

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
It would probably make the banner if the finder gave a detailed account of how it was found. Seems there is no information on what occurred so it won't make the banner, especially since it seems the finder is a newbie to this site. Haven't heard a word from this person since they posted so it does make one wonder.......... :icon_scratch: Sorry!

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
DMN said:
It would probably make the banner if the finder gave a detailed account of how it was found. Seems there is no information on what occurred so it won't make the banner, especially since it seems the finder is a newbie to this site. Haven't heard a word from this person since they posted so it does make one wonder.......... :icon_scratch: Sorry!

I agree 100%, very skeptical about this thread.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: Man I wish I could find something that old here :tongue3:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wow man. great find! BANNER for sure.... :headbang: :notworthy: i'm still looking for good stuff....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice & rare coin :hello2:

Out of interest, have you told the owner of the land the same info you have told us? What was your agreement with them? Just curious, how you guys in the US operate when finding valuable finds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions