What's new

1797 Draped Bust LC and a button

Murray8144

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2015
Messages
661
Reaction score
1,486
Golden Thread
0
Location
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part of my job involves historic preservation and historic property evaluation. I had a job in eastern PA today...a 200-acre national register listed farm. The owner said the land was an original grant from William Penn, and that the house was built in the late 1700s. After taking care of business I asked permission to detect. I only had an hour. About 1/2 hour in I got a $$$$$ 12-47 at 6"...that's the kind of hit i'm after. Dug this, my 1st 1700s LC

IMG_9130.webp

I've now dug 4 LC's since I started last fall, and this one is in by far the best condition. I guess PA soil is kinder than NJ. I'm hesitant to clean it any more than just the light wiping i did...i'm afraid of ruining it. I had a 2-hour drive home and I must have picked it up and fondled it a dozen times. Very happy with it

Also pulled a button

IMG_9131.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 48
That's an absolute beauty there. I personally would not attempt to clean it at all. I've seen coppers with some detail end up with NO detail from cleaning attempts. Just keep fondling it, I would!
 
As life, and the responsibilities we have, takes us on that journey unique to ourselves, it always amazes how the rewards of random opportunities present themselves.
You certainly made the most of that short little hunt on an unlikely parcel of land..........wonderful find!!
 
I must be missing something. Please post pics of the coin cleaned up.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom