New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on another great site that Vino got permission, one hour and a half drive one way for me. George had 7 other people there all hunting and finding great stuff. A few people from Tnet, it was very nice meeting Cjon, his son and Levierick and his daughter. There were a few other guys, I'm not sure if they are Tnetters. Very nice people, very beautiful place that has MUCH history. If this was on digger's, Ringy would be saying that I found George Washingtons 1798 Draped Bust and it is worth 20,000 dollars (they sure do like to hype up the values on that show) It was the preverbial walk back to the truck for me. I told myself that I was going to hit along this one old wall then head home. First target after I thought that I get a 88 signal ringing nice at 8" deep. I pulled out a toy cement truck. Head down the wall about five ft from the truck, get a 83 hit very tight to the wall, 4" deep My AT Pro tells me. I get down 5 '' out pops the sweetest looking LC I have ever dug!

Enjoy the pix, HH & GL
Thanks again George for the invite
Brad

Upvote 34

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep looking for Vino's finds?!?

Im stuck here at my mother in laws...I have a few things soaking. .I post when I get home...But you know I only had a CTX..and a Deus...So I didn't find much..lol..Thanks for asking...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm in Love ! She really is a pretty one- Congratulations on finding that little honey !!!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep looking for Vino's finds?!?
Instigater. Don't you use a AT Pro?

Any US coin from 1700's is a good find, that copper is a lot better than most for sure.
I got one of the same date but is in "just barely there" condition, PP I call it.

Must be a great site to have 7 diggers on it, with everyone pulling out the goods.
Sounds like you all had a great time.
George did sleep there! Thanks, it was a good time!

awesome coin! Is that a cud on the upper reverse?
Yes it, thank you!

I think I'm in Love ! She really is a pretty one- Congratulations on finding that little honey !!!
Thank you sir!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instigater. Don't you use a AT Pro?

Well yeah, but I wasn't there so it doesn't count!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe your DB is a style 1 hair example. Worth $250 more than a style 2 at EF-40 grade in the 2013 Red Book.

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe your DB is a style 1 hair example. Worth $250 more than a style 2 at EF-40 grade in the 2013 Red Book.

Not quite sure, there are about twenty different varieties it might be, then there is the cud, which might be the cause of the variety. It is above my pay grade.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on your best one so far, seems like 1798s held up well in general for some reason. Yours is a Sheldon 161, that big rim break at STATES and lump on right side of the O in ONE very diagnostic for the variety. http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s161.jpg Yours is a later die state with the rim crack being almost complete at TE

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite sure, there are about twenty different varieties it might be, then there is the cud, which might be the cause of the variety. It is above my pay grade.

That's one beautiful girl, I'd love to take her home with me. "Give me your girl!" :tongue3: Just joking. But determining the variety of that coin is no joke, as there is real demand for certain varieties by collectors. The coin's superior condition should clearly permit a full ID on the variety. Make sure you get a proper determination. You've already gotten some suggestions, and I'm sure that some of the subject matter experts on the forum can help with a correct ID. I look forward to them putting in their "two cents" on your one cent. You might want to take a look at the info. from the attached link.

1798 Large Cents | Early American Coppers | earlycoppers.com

Congrats & Good Luck. That's a terrific early copper. :tongue3: "Now give me your girl. How much for the girl?"

images.jpg

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The soil was very kind to that large cent, and it looks like it had good details when it was dropped. I wish the large cents that I have found came out of the ground in that condition :icon_thumleft: Congrats!
Here is how my large cents come out of the ground:

P.S. Your coin appears to have a big cud, 11 o'clock reverse.

cud.jpg

A cud I found coin roll hunting:
coin97.jpg
IMG_20140607_181748.jpg IMG_20140607_181814.jpg

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on your best one so far, seems like 1798s held up well in general for some reason. Yours is a Sheldon 161, that big rim break at STATES and lump on right side of the O in ONE very diagnostic for the variety. http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s161.jpg Yours is a later die state with the rim crack being almost complete at TE
WOW.....Huge die crack. They musta got rid of that reverse die soon after making this one. Nice detail and nice find.

Fattony315

May 17, 2013
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin, I just posted a 1800 draped bust that I found yesterday. Of the LC, I like the draped the best. Congrats.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

You might be right! Brad PM'd me about the coin and I researched it but came up with an Sheldon 180, Mid Die Stage (since it does not have the Late Die State 2nd Cud Die Break around "UN" of UNITED) with a rarity of R-5. I just thought that the lump on the right side of the "O" in ONE was due to damage seeing that there is a lot of damage around that whole area. I guess I am going to have to take a better look. If I told you wrong Brad, I am sorry!

Frank

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is something about the "last swing" or the one 3 feet from the car door before you jump in and leave. Has happened to me quite a bit. Not sure why.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice draped bust! Like Don noted, for some reason, the 1798s I've dug or personally seen dug are the nicest large cents to be found...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right Don, it does appear to be a Sheldon 161 with a rarity of R2 and a Late Die Stage specimen! Man, I was sure hoping it was a Sheldon 180 with a rarity of R5+!!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Don for your ID and nice comment. What a roller coaster ride I was just on with Frank, ha lol I really appreciate everyone's help on this site, Don, Frank, Hogge, all you guys since I started this a year and two months ago. I never would have learned as much as fast without all that help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one beautiful girl, I'd love to take her home with me. "Give me your girl!" :tongue3: Just joking. But determining the variety of that coin is no joke, as there is real demand for certain varieties by collectors. The coin's superior condition should clearly permit a full ID on the variety. Make sure you get a proper determination. You've already gotten some suggestions, and I'm sure that some of the subject matter experts on the forum can help with a correct ID. I look forward to them putting in their "two cents" on your one cent. You might want to take a look at the info. from the attached link.

1798 Large Cents | Early American Coppers | earlycoppers.com

Congrats & Good Luck. That's a terrific early copper. :tongue3: "Now give me your girl. How much for the girl?"

View attachment 1032974

Ha, what are you offering?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread