What's new

1798 U.S. Large Cent in Kentucky and other relics!

bluegrass digger

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
55
Reaction score
142
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent this morning at an old house site that I've been detecting recently. I have already recovered four large cents, capped bust half dime, and counterfeit 8 real in past trips. I wanted to have one more good find before the year was over and I received an early Christmas present. I dug a barrel spout, part of a powder flask, a few buttons, etc. before I got a great sound on the AT pro. It was steady in the upper 70s and I knew it had the potential to be a copper. I cut the plug, pinpointed the target, saw the rim and flipped it over to reveal the coin. When I saw the "one cent" I knew I had another large cent. Turning the coin over I could see curls from the bust facing right. Wow! I was ecstatic, to see the 17, and then the 98. I think the coin has decent detail, especially compared to the other large cents I recovered from the site. I knew anything I found the rest of the hunt would be a bonus. I used a toothpick to clean the dirt off. There are a few spots, one in particular near the date that won't come off. I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks to all who read and I wish a Merry Christmas to you and your family!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0760.webp
    IMG_0760.webp
    534.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0763.webp
    IMG_0763.webp
    457.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0764.webp
    IMG_0764.webp
    438.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0771.webp
    IMG_0771.webp
    173.2 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0773.webp
    IMG_0773.webp
    196.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0776.webp
    IMG_0776.webp
    420.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Upvote 72
Great day in the morning! nice finds
 
Great collection of finds!
 
That's an oldie, especially for KY..... WOW! Congratulations!!!
 
Nice condition on that one...Congrats
 
I really wish I could get an oldie with that much detail yet. Nice finds.
 
Congrats on pulling a draped Bust LC. I'm hoping to dig one of those to break into the 1700's club.
 
Congrats on a super find !!!
 
Fantastic detail on that coin, congrats. I also like the powder flask, I have found the tops to them but never the flask itself. Awesome.
ZDD
 
Great finds! Love the large cent. Good looking pile you have there! Hope you and all Tnet members have a Merry Christmas.
 
Great looking copper and powder flask, I just dug my first also one about a week ago. Congrats on the recoveries and they're both a great bonus before the end of the season.
 
Excellent find,, that's a pretty clear date.
Merry Christmas to you and yours
 
Awesome LC and in really great shape too- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --
 
beautiful. congrats!
 
Wow, those are some great finds. I really like the barrel tap. I found one that nice and accidentally left it in an old car I sold. :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom