What's new

1798 U.S. Large Cent in Kentucky and other relics!

bluegrass digger

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
55
Reaction score
142
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent this morning at an old house site that I've been detecting recently. I have already recovered four large cents, capped bust half dime, and counterfeit 8 real in past trips. I wanted to have one more good find before the year was over and I received an early Christmas present. I dug a barrel spout, part of a powder flask, a few buttons, etc. before I got a great sound on the AT pro. It was steady in the upper 70s and I knew it had the potential to be a copper. I cut the plug, pinpointed the target, saw the rim and flipped it over to reveal the coin. When I saw the "one cent" I knew I had another large cent. Turning the coin over I could see curls from the bust facing right. Wow! I was ecstatic, to see the 17, and then the 98. I think the coin has decent detail, especially compared to the other large cents I recovered from the site. I knew anything I found the rest of the hunt would be a bonus. I used a toothpick to clean the dirt off. There are a few spots, one in particular near the date that won't come off. I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks to all who read and I wish a Merry Christmas to you and your family!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0760.webp
    IMG_0760.webp
    534.1 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0763.webp
    IMG_0763.webp
    457.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0764.webp
    IMG_0764.webp
    438.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0771.webp
    IMG_0771.webp
    173.2 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0773.webp
    IMG_0773.webp
    196.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0776.webp
    IMG_0776.webp
    420.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Upvote 72
Beautiful Coin and always nice to see 18th century relics found in Kentucky.
 
Congratulations from Ole KY!
 
Very nice hunt! Love the old copper. :occasion14:
 
Thanks to all who liked and commented. It was definitely on my bucket list. Also a lesson in that if a site seems hunted out, stay persistent and think positively and something may turn up.
 
Wow - Congratulations! :occasion14:
 
Great finds and great job with the Draped bust cleaning . Congratulations
 
Sweet shaped LC there and complete spigot!...
 
Nice relics for the blue grass state....congrats!

Bill Hilly
 
Killer hunt!!! I especially love the keg spout. Complete and everything! Congrats!
 
BGD DANG NICE FINDS . LIKE THE SPIGOT AND FLASK .
 
Excellent coin-and that keg tap is in pristine condition. Great job
 
Super - but I love that flask piece!
 
Thanks all! The flask blew my ears off and I thought it was trash. I was careless digging the hole and I think I cut into it, unfortunately. Maybe the rest of the flask is nearby.
 
wow Congratulations Nice find
 
Well done! Of all the LC's I dug when I lived in KY, I only ever found 2 that were draped bust. Congrats on those great finds. Nice pistol powder flask too!

Cheers,

Buck
 
I live in northern ky and was feeling good when i dug an 1829 large cent! Its amazing how old some of the finds are from our area!
 
What were the dates on the two, BuckleBoy?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom