What's new

17TH CENTURY BUCKLE, PEWTER CUFFLINKS, CIVIL WAR BULLETS AND OTHER JUNK

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,287
Reaction score
1,405
Golden Thread
2
Location
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a site that has always been on my radar but it's in the woods and was hit by a tornado a few years back and I thought that trees would be laying everywhere but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. There is a very small iron patch that is half on level ground and half on a steep hillside so that's where I concentrated my efforts but I must admit that detecting in the woods isn't really my forte especially if it's on a steep hillside.

My first good target was a 17th century buckle immediately followed by a pair of cufflinks that I think are pewter but I'm not quite sure. Whatever the alloy, they're very brittle. I didn't find much after that other than some leather tacks and adornments. I'm sure there is more there so I'll keep it on my list of fallback sites.

The field where I parked my car was a Union cavalry camp so before I headed home I detected a small section of the field close to my care and pulled out a handful of cavalry bullets. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.

5.webp 6.webp 7.webp 4.webp

3.webp 1.webp 2.webp 8.webp

10.webp 11.webp 12.webp 16.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 54
Wow I didn't see that coming. Great job on those buddy. I'm pretty sure my buddy found a button here in Maine with a very similar design. I will have him send a pic to me today. Damn those are nice. I love links!!!! I never find them but I love them
 
That has to be the coolest pair of cufflinks I've seen dug. Can't wait to see what the final verdict is as to their significance. Great find man!
 
That has to be the coolest pair of cufflinks I've seen dug. Can't wait to see what the final verdict is as to their significance. Great find man!

Rats!!!!! I broke the connecting wire...what a dummy I am! I was too aggressive with the electrolysis and it melted.
 
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456333868.583563.webp I have a metal that is similar . Never got a true I'd on it
 
Rats!!!!! I broke the connecting wire...what a dummy I am! I was too aggressive with the electrolysis and it melted.

Sucks man... Hate it when stuff like that happens.

This appeared in my tumbler one day. Must have been stuck to a rose head from the trash pit. While it's not pewter or as old as those links, it's old and you're welcome to have it. You could use some wire cutters to clip it, string up the cufflinks and bend it closed again. Would keep them together to display at least. Lemme know and I'll bring it in April.

edit: its copper btw

IMG_20160224_122649.webp
 
Last edited:
Nice cufflinks for sure, but I would have never used anything but peroxide on those cufflinks.......... :)
 
Nice collection of artefacts JF , congrats .. cheers Mick
 
Nice cufflinks for sure, but I would have never used anything but peroxide on those cufflinks.......... :)

I did the peroxide before the electrolysis but that sand was like concrete. The low voltage electrolysis has done wonders except for the wire loop :)
 
Sucks man... Hate it when stuff like that happens.

This appeared in my tumbler one day. Must have been stuck to a rose head from the trash pit. While it's not pewter or as old as those links, it's old and you're welcome to have it. You could use some wire cutters to clip it, string up the cufflinks and bend it closed again. Would keep them together to display at least. Lemme know and I'll bring it in April.

edit: its copper btw

View attachment 1276963

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll just solder them back together once I'm done cleaning. I look forward to meeting all you guys in April!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom