Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a site that has always been on my radar but it's in the woods and was hit by a tornado a few years back and I thought that trees would be laying everywhere but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. There is a very small iron patch that is half on level ground and half on a steep hillside so that's where I concentrated my efforts but I must admit that detecting in the woods isn't really my forte especially if it's on a steep hillside.

My first good target was a 17th century buckle immediately followed by a pair of cufflinks that I think are pewter but I'm not quite sure. Whatever the alloy, they're very brittle. I didn't find much after that other than some leather tacks and adornments. I'm sure there is more there so I'll keep it on my list of fallback sites.

The field where I parked my car was a Union cavalry camp so before I headed home I detected a small section of the field close to my care and pulled out a handful of cavalry bullets. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 4.jpg

3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 8.jpg

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 16.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That has to be the coolest pair of cufflinks I've seen dug. Can't wait to see what the final verdict is as to their significance. Great find man!

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be the coolest pair of cufflinks I've seen dug. Can't wait to see what the final verdict is as to their significance. Great find man!

Rats!!!!! I broke the connecting wire...what a dummy I am! I was too aggressive with the electrolysis and it melted.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rats!!!!! I broke the connecting wire...what a dummy I am! I was too aggressive with the electrolysis and it melted.

Sucks man... Hate it when stuff like that happens.

This appeared in my tumbler one day. Must have been stuck to a rose head from the trash pit. While it's not pewter or as old as those links, it's old and you're welcome to have it. You could use some wire cutters to clip it, string up the cufflinks and bend it closed again. Would keep them together to display at least. Lemme know and I'll bring it in April.

edit: its copper btw

IMG_20160224_122649.jpg

Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cufflinks for sure, but I would have never used anything but peroxide on those cufflinks.......... :)

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cufflinks for sure, but I would have never used anything but peroxide on those cufflinks.......... :)

I did the peroxide before the electrolysis but that sand was like concrete. The low voltage electrolysis has done wonders except for the wire loop :)

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks man... Hate it when stuff like that happens.

This appeared in my tumbler one day. Must have been stuck to a rose head from the trash pit. While it's not pewter or as old as those links, it's old and you're welcome to have it. You could use some wire cutters to clip it, string up the cufflinks and bend it closed again. Would keep them together to display at least. Lemme know and I'll bring it in April.

edit: its copper btw

View attachment 1276963

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll just solder them back together once I'm done cleaning. I look forward to meeting all you guys in April!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread