Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a site that has always been on my radar but it's in the woods and was hit by a tornado a few years back and I thought that trees would be laying everywhere but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. There is a very small iron patch that is half on level ground and half on a steep hillside so that's where I concentrated my efforts but I must admit that detecting in the woods isn't really my forte especially if it's on a steep hillside.

My first good target was a 17th century buckle immediately followed by a pair of cufflinks that I think are pewter but I'm not quite sure. Whatever the alloy, they're very brittle. I didn't find much after that other than some leather tacks and adornments. I'm sure there is more there so I'll keep it on my list of fallback sites.

The field where I parked my car was a Union cavalry camp so before I headed home I detected a small section of the field close to my care and pulled out a handful of cavalry bullets. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 4.jpg

3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 8.jpg

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 16.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle buddy. Those links are killer too. 98% of my hunting is in the woods and slipping down eroded hillsides. It's not easy but the erosion can open up lots of targets and nobody else is dumb enough to hang onto limbs and trees and try to swing....so usually those areas have been left alone

Yeah, I need to check out the bottom of the hill for some trash or treasure. The original parish church was somewhere in the area so maybe it was down there somewhere. Thanks for checking my post out you crazy person :)

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Joey :thumbsup: Those cuff links and the buckle are awesome. Its too bad those cuff links are so fragile... it makes me wonder if there is a design on them under that sandy concrete mixture that looks stuck on there. ha I got a sharpes bullet yesterday too... will get a post together once some things come out of electrolysis.

I kind of see a design too. Maybe I'll try to clean that crust off with some light electrolysis.

I have found literally fifty dropped carbine bullets in the few times I've hunted the big fields but not much else. It's hard to break away from the early colonial sites on this property to concentrate on union camp sites but maybe I will next time...if there is a next time as I think I'm wearing out my welcome with the property owner:(

I look forward to your post!

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a nice huntin spot, what's up with the old head stone? Can you tell us any dates and names?

I won't give the name but her date of death on the tombstone is 1708 at the age of 69. The tombstone was unearthed not too long ago and knowing its location has really given me insight on other potential sites based on the limited research that's available. Like a lot of counties in eastern Virginia the records of this county were burned a few times over the last 350 years so there's very little research material available so I have to rely on intuition and luck to find the early, relatively speaking, sites that I like. Thanks for asking!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... date of death on the tombstone is 1708 at the age of 69 ...

Incredible! Born in 1639... I have a hard time wrapping my head around VA history that long ago, considering she lived within the first 100 years of our state and nations history. I wonder if she was born locally or immigrated. Pretty cool stuff man.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was born in Surry County, Virginia but her husband did immigrate from England. He was a merchant and an officer under Governor Berkley. He even fought off some of Bacon's men during the rebellion from the site I was detecting!!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those buckles & ornamentals are always a treat. Especially the buckle.

gbpackrfan1990

Feb 2, 2012
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejan; Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the Richmond sharps! I've only found a few of those!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you out swinging again Joey. That's a very nice early spot you have there, and I love that buckle. It's identical to the one on page 70 in the following reference, which is the most complete buckle ID publication out there. Dates from 1600 to 1720, but we usually see these on mid-to-late 17th century sites which yours probably is.

http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a promising location for sure!!! Good luck on the future hunts!!!!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great buckle and cufflinks! Can't wait to see what other colonial goodies come from that site!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Joey that buckle is killer man:headbang:
You should clean up those links they should have some design..

~Blaze

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.
16.jpg

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.
View attachment 1276736

Yeah, they represent an INCREDIBLE set of cufflinks! ha :notworthy: Those seriously turned out amazing and I would have never guessed there was that much under that sand. Since I don't really know what they represent, I look forward to hearing others chime in.

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, I'd be back in there soon

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the cuff links may be religious. The catholic Vatican seal resembles them somewhat. the crossing lines could be keys referencing the "keys to the kingdom" which were given by Christ to St. Peter. Just speculations though. the crown and circle with a cross on top are common catholic symbols.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the cuff links may be religious. The catholic Vatican seal resembles them somewhat. the crossing lines could be keys referencing the "keys to the kingdom" which were given by Christ to St. Peter. Just speculations though. the crown and circle with a cross on top are common catholic symbols.

Great theory, I like it.

What I see depicted are a holy crown, an orb and two fleur de lis all in between two sceptres. The crown, orb and sceptre are all ceremonial and are mostly associated with the crown jewels of the United Kingdom.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The buckle is a very nice find! Congratulation! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread