What's new

17TH CENTURY BUCKLE, PEWTER CUFFLINKS, CIVIL WAR BULLETS AND OTHER JUNK

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,287
Reaction score
1,405
Golden Thread
2
Location
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a site that has always been on my radar but it's in the woods and was hit by a tornado a few years back and I thought that trees would be laying everywhere but I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. There is a very small iron patch that is half on level ground and half on a steep hillside so that's where I concentrated my efforts but I must admit that detecting in the woods isn't really my forte especially if it's on a steep hillside.

My first good target was a 17th century buckle immediately followed by a pair of cufflinks that I think are pewter but I'm not quite sure. Whatever the alloy, they're very brittle. I didn't find much after that other than some leather tacks and adornments. I'm sure there is more there so I'll keep it on my list of fallback sites.

The field where I parked my car was a Union cavalry camp so before I headed home I detected a small section of the field close to my care and pulled out a handful of cavalry bullets. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.

5.webp 6.webp 7.webp 4.webp

3.webp 1.webp 2.webp 8.webp

10.webp 11.webp 12.webp 16.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 54
looks like a nice huntin spot, what's up with the old head stone? Can you tell us any dates and names?
 
Great buckle buddy. Those links are killer too. 98% of my hunting is in the woods and slipping down eroded hillsides. It's not easy but the erosion can open up lots of targets and nobody else is dumb enough to hang onto limbs and trees and try to swing....so usually those areas have been left alone

Yeah, I need to check out the bottom of the hill for some trash or treasure. The original parish church was somewhere in the area so maybe it was down there somewhere. Thanks for checking my post out you crazy person :)
 
Nice hunt Joey :thumbsup: Those cuff links and the buckle are awesome. Its too bad those cuff links are so fragile... it makes me wonder if there is a design on them under that sandy concrete mixture that looks stuck on there. ha I got a sharpes bullet yesterday too... will get a post together once some things come out of electrolysis.

I kind of see a design too. Maybe I'll try to clean that crust off with some light electrolysis.

I have found literally fifty dropped carbine bullets in the few times I've hunted the big fields but not much else. It's hard to break away from the early colonial sites on this property to concentrate on union camp sites but maybe I will next time...if there is a next time as I think I'm wearing out my welcome with the property owner:(

I look forward to your post!
 
looks like a nice huntin spot, what's up with the old head stone? Can you tell us any dates and names?

I won't give the name but her date of death on the tombstone is 1708 at the age of 69. The tombstone was unearthed not too long ago and knowing its location has really given me insight on other potential sites based on the limited research that's available. Like a lot of counties in eastern Virginia the records of this county were burned a few times over the last 350 years so there's very little research material available so I have to rely on intuition and luck to find the early, relatively speaking, sites that I like. Thanks for asking!
 
... date of death on the tombstone is 1708 at the age of 69 ...

Incredible! Born in 1639... I have a hard time wrapping my head around VA history that long ago, considering she lived within the first 100 years of our state and nations history. I wonder if she was born locally or immigrated. Pretty cool stuff man.
 
She was born in Surry County, Virginia but her husband did immigrate from England. He was a merchant and an officer under Governor Berkley. He even fought off some of Bacon's men during the rebellion from the site I was detecting!!
 
Those buckles & ornamentals are always a treat. Especially the buckle.
 
Those buckles & ornamentals are always a treat. Especially the buckle.

Thanks man. Hopefully the rest of the season treats you well.
 
I like the Richmond sharps! I've only found a few of those!
 
Glad to see you out swinging again Joey. That's a very nice early spot you have there, and I love that buckle. It's identical to the one on page 70 in the following reference, which is the most complete buckle ID publication out there. Dates from 1600 to 1720, but we usually see these on mid-to-late 17th century sites which yours probably is.

http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf
 
Looks like a promising location for sure!!! Good luck on the future hunts!!!!
 
Great buckle and cufflinks! Can't wait to see what other colonial goodies come from that site!
 
Joey that buckle is killer man:headbang:
You should clean up those links they should have some design..

~Blaze
 
Joey that buckle is killer man:headbang:
You should clean up those links they should have some design..

~Blaze

Thanks JB. The links are going into the low current electrolysis tonight.
 
Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.
16.webp
 
Here's an updated picture of the semi cleaned cufflinks. Can anyone identify what they represent? There are two fleur de lis, a crown and a globus cruciger.
View attachment 1276736

Yeah, they represent an INCREDIBLE set of cufflinks! ha :notworthy: Those seriously turned out amazing and I would have never guessed there was that much under that sand. Since I don't really know what they represent, I look forward to hearing others chime in.
 
Very nice finds, I'd be back in there soon
 
I believe that the cuff links may be religious. The catholic Vatican seal resembles them somewhat. the crossing lines could be keys referencing the "keys to the kingdom" which were given by Christ to St. Peter. Just speculations though. the crown and circle with a cross on top are common catholic symbols.
 
I believe that the cuff links may be religious. The catholic Vatican seal resembles them somewhat. the crossing lines could be keys referencing the "keys to the kingdom" which were given by Christ to St. Peter. Just speculations though. the crown and circle with a cross on top are common catholic symbols.

Great theory, I like it.

What I see depicted are a holy crown, an orb and two fleur de lis all in between two sceptres. The crown, orb and sceptre are all ceremonial and are mostly associated with the crown jewels of the United Kingdom.
 
The buckle is a very nice find! Congratulation! :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom