BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this in my hole today while sluicing for gold on Wilson Creek in N.C.

I'll have to get a better photo tomorrow when someone can help hold the light, lol. It's good quality and is much more transparent in person. I'm probably going to have this one cut. It has a great rainbow flash in several areas. It appears dark here but is crystal clear. :thumbsup:

9.JPG

125_2449.JPG

I found several other larger, gem quality Topaz specimens as well. They are water-worn and very smooth and rounded out. I may get some of those cut as well, when I have the cash.

Here is a photo of some smaller ones from another hole. These are better quality than the photo shows. Three of these would make good cuts as well; one having no inclusions or fractures at all except for a little near the surface which would be eliminated in cutting anyway. :thumbsup:

125_2406.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BB, How do you tell topaz from quartz?

Well, that REALLY took some patience on my part and some hair pulling out as well, lol.
There are subtle differences and Topaz "cleaves" differently. My only advice is to get your hands on a rough piece of Topaz and feel the difference. It feels kind of "waxy" or almost like it has a residue. It was not an easy task!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also do a water test. Here is a quick excerpt from the web:

"IS IT TOPAZ OR QUARTZ?"

"Quartz and Topaz are not easy to separate by eye, and sometimes it is impossible when the quartz is a true topaz color. There is a big difference in price between the two, and anyone describing quartz as “Topaz,” however innocently, may well be in trouble.

Topaz is quite a different mineral and is harder than quartz. Because of this, a drop of water will not spread on Topaz but will spread on quartz. Clean the stone as effectively as possible with a cloth or handkerchief to remove all traces of grease. It must be dry before the test. Then place a spot of clean water on it with a thin glass or metal rod. On stones with a hardness of less than 7 on the Mohs scale, the water is dispersed. On harder stones, it will remain a globule. The harder the stone, the more rounded will be the globule."

From the Calgary Lapidary Journal April 2013, via the Backbender's Gazette, the Opal Express, the Rocky Reader, and the Rocky Mountain Federation News of Feb 2013

It's amazing doing this test on corundum. The water just sits in a little globe. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also do a water test. Here is a quick excerpt from the web:

"IS IT TOPAZ OR QUARTZ?"

"Quartz and Topaz are not easy to separate by eye, and sometimes it is impossible when the quartz is a true topaz color. There is a big difference in price between the two, and anyone describing quartz as “Topaz,” however innocently, may well be in trouble.

Topaz is quite a different mineral and is harder than quartz. Because of this, a drop of water will not spread on Topaz but will spread on quartz. Clean the stone as effectively as possible with a cloth or handkerchief to remove all traces of grease. It must be dry before the test. Then place a spot of clean water on it with a thin glass or metal rod. On stones with a hardness of less than 7 on the Mohs scale, the water is dispersed. On harder stones, it will remain a globule. The harder the stone, the more rounded will be the globule."

From the Calgary Lapidary Journal April 2013, via the Backbender's Gazette, the Opal Express, the Rocky Reader, and the Rocky Mountain Federation News of Feb 2013

It's amazing doing this test on corundum. The water just sits in a little globe. :laughing7:

Hey BruntBear, you just made my day. I didn't know about the water test for Topaz and harder stones. The wife and I were digging today and the wife came to where I was digging and said is this stone too big to keep and I looked at it and it looked like Topaz to me so I got home cleaned it up and put it under a blacklight and it was yellow and under the blacklight it was orange so when I read your post about the water I tried it on this stone and it would not move no matter which way I turned the rock. I will put a picture of it on here tomorrow. It weighs 1740 grams and in lbs 3 lb 13.4 oz. this stone is translucent Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BruntBear here are a few pictures of the Topaz stone weight 3 lb13.4 oz found yesterday. Pictures can not describe the beautiful yellow color that comes from this stone. When I hold it in front of a light I can see light shining through it so it is translucent. You and others on here have been such a great help to me as I am learning more every day.notice the cleaveage in pic of rock standing on end closeup how straight it is. 3 lb topaz rock 001.JPG 3 lb topaz rock 002.JPG 3 lb topaz rock 003.JPG

Looks to have a good chance it is topaz. hope it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BurntBear

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! It's all so fun and amazing to me.

Here is a link on the different crystal systems that really helped me. Very straightforward and to the point.

Click Here

I hope you and your wife are enjoying the hunt. :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting test, I had to try. Seems to work. Although I still just go by "felt weight", since its easier. Topaz feels heavier in relation to a similar sized quartz.

Upvote 0

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Eu_Citzen like BruntBear said it is a fun hobby and I enjoy it. Even if these rocks I found are Topaz they are translucent not transparent and probably not worth much anyway if anything. The thrill of the hunt is what gets in my blood. So I guess I will get the wife's tools and take her hunting again tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its fun for sure. I also go out hunting when ever I can. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread