18 K Ring

D

doyboy

I got out today to the small park and tried a different area that had many junk signals. I spent about an hour without finding anything but 2 1980s Jefferson nickels when I got another "Nickel" hit at 1.5". Out popped a 1947 Jefferson nickel; Not too bad, I guess this is a "Keeper." After finding it I used the "Circling" technique and it worked, again! About 3 feet from the nickel I got a "jumpy" reading that read all over the place. It pinpointed at 2.5", so I dug it and out popped a nice Gold ring. When I pulled the ring out, I swept it over my coil and it read at "TABS." After taking it home and cleaning it with soap and water I noticed that on the inside are the words,"18K G.E.A.". The A is circled. Is this a solid 18K Gold ring? What could be the estimated cost of something like this? The ring is in great shape and it has a pink stone on top with a lot of diamonds on the sides of it. Any information I would gladly appreciate.

Attachments

• ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 3,033
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like a great ring, doy. Can you take a picture of the stones? :o

Great find! :)

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
on the inside are the words,"18K G.E.A.". The A is circled. Is this a solid 18K Gold ring?

Rings marked with H.G.E. or G.E. are gold electroplated. You said the A is circled, so I'm guessing that is a maker's mark.

Still a nice find!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
mlw67 said:
You said the A is circled, so I'm guessing that is a maker's mark.

A circled "A" is the mark of the American Ring Company, Inc. of Providence, Rhode Island. Established in 1973, the company specializes in the manufacture of costume jewelry. (Several other, smaller firms also use an encircled "A" mark; however, I think it's far more likely that your ring was made by the American Ring Company.)

That said, I agree: Nice find!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pic. alone,it looks real.I have to agree with mlw67 though.Still a nice looking ring. :) Good luck and H.H.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Nice ladies ring,
hopefully we can see the stones too.
Hope the next one is solid gold if this one's not.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
D

doyboy

Thanks for the replies. The ring fits my Mother's finger perfectly. It sure is a beauty!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find anyway, too bad it wasn't pure! HH, Mike

Goldringer

May 6, 2006
Earth
I pasted a little info I found below:

(4) An industry product or part thereof, on which there has been affixed on all significant surfaces by an electrolytic process, an electroplating of gold, or of a gold alloy of not less than 10 karat fineness, which has a minimum thickness throughout equivalent to .175 microns (approximately 7/1,000,000ths of an inch) of fine gold, may be marked or described as "Gold Electroplate" or "Gold Electroplated," or abbreviated, as, for example, "G.E.P." When the electroplating meets the minimum fineness but not the minimum thickness specified above, the marking or description may be "Gold Flashed" or "Gold Washed." When the electroplating is of the minimum fineness specified above and of a minimum thickness throughout equivalent to two and one half (2 1/2) microns (or approximately 100/1,000,000ths of an inch) of fine gold, the marking or description may be "Heavy Gold Electroplate" or "Heavy Gold Electroplated." When electroplatings qualify for the term "Gold Electroplate" (or "Gold Electroplated"), or the term "Heavy Gold Electroplate" (or "Heavy Gold Electroplated"), and have been applied by use of a particular kind of electrolytic process, the marking may be accompanied by identification of the process used, as for example, "Gold Electroplated (X Process)" or "Heavy Gold Electroplated (Y Process)."

So it might be that this is Gold Electroplate and the circle A is the manufacturer. Still a nice ring. Did you check the stone. That is usually a tale tale sign of quality.

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
i hope i can find stuff like that someday :) congrats

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that technic seems to work good!

-GC

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
Hello this is Maureen, could you repost the pic? we can't seem to see it

thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread