Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was pouring..no work. So I spun down and picked up Heavymetalnut for another Colonial cellar hole hunt. After the long hike to the site (getting soaked before we even arrive) we began detecting. At first the targets were very far and few in between, but after a couple buttons popped up Dave asks me where I found the 1827 Large Cent. I walked over by the cellar hole and showed him, I started scanning the area and....wow....where'd that signal come from. The last hunt there I dug a large grill like apparatus and put it up against the tree...removing IRON. So anyways, A new signal arrived after moving the junk....it happened to be a draped bust large cent...(1802) It's hard to see the date, when wet and tilted back and forth you can just barely make it out. Anyhow, just after that...Dave digs a VERY awesome example of a "BATWING" buckle.....I was very happy for him. Today was a very fun day regardless of the wet conditions. Thanks for checkin it out! OH I ALMOST FORGOT!...on the way back to the Jeep we discovered a silver pocket spill...I dug one mercury dime and a silver nickel...and Dave got 4-5 dimes and 2 wheats....prolly a drunk hunter.

Attachments

• Draped Bust Large Cent (2).jpg
    Draped Bust Large Cent (2).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 551
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0
Nice finds! Not a bad day to get out in the Northeast, despite the rain. Woods are finally thawed for the most part.

Beautiful LC, congrats,
Steve

Way to go Sniffy, another nice recovery.. I liked what you said about iron removal... It is key to finding more quality detectable targets at sites like that.. Sadly a lot of the good stuff will never be found thanks to the iron at a lot of sites I hunt.. Nice coin :headbang:

Nice job on that one !
Just imagine if you could remove the top 6" of iron. You would need a wagon to carry out the goods :o

VPR

Nice finds Sniffy! :thumbsup:

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Nice job on that one !
Just imagine if you could remove the top 6" of iron. You would need a wagon to carry out the goods :o

VPR
I often wonder how many nice targets are just walked over due to the iron....I try to remove as much as possible.

Awesome recovery Sniffy, love that draped bust. You've inspired me, the next piece of iron I dig will be dug in your honor!

umrgolf2000 said:
Way to go Sniffy, another nice recovery.. I liked what you said about iron removal... It is key to finding more quality detectable targets at sites like that.. Sadly a lot of the good stuff will never be found thanks to the iron at a lot of sites I hunt.. Nice coin :headbang:
This is very true

terpfan said:
Awesome recovery Sniffy, love that draped bust. You've inspired me, the next piece of iron I dig will be dug in your honor!
WOW! thanks...

a wet one but a good one!!!! we do well in the rain jess! :thumbsup:
nice draped bust dude!!!!!!

Those who stand up to the elements get rewarded . Just , don't pi$$ off Mother Nature :thumbsup: :sunny:

nice recoverys!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

woo hoo !! nice draped bust. i just found a 1801! you guys hunt well together. i hope to hunt with you guys some day. willy

Sniffy said:
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Nice job on that one !

VPR
I often wonder how many nice targets are just walked over due to the iron....I try to remove as much as possible.

Quite a few, and we see that once a plow goes through our field sites. I will say however we're much better these days at finding those masked targets and usually the plow doesn't turn up as much as we had hoped for. Should you guys get a very good cellar hole the heck with the detectors, each grab yourself a shovel and have a go at the hole and in the heavy iron. In fields the holes have been filled, but contain the same type of items found close because all that happened was a farmer pushed the soil in. You want good condition.... dig something at about four feet. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back