1812 Large Cent and some relics to boot

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I planned on a lot of walking today and hitting several of my known sites and making it a long hunt day, but it did not work out that way. I started off finding a new site but it was one that the wonderful people in the area back in the 50's decided to use as their dumping site. :( It was a homestead, I immediately got a pewter spoon handle piece, and not long after an early 1800s flat no backmark button. I was trying to hunt around the trash, which was barbed wire, cans, chicken wire, pulltabs, all the things not wanted in the woods, but I did eventually get a pair of cufflinks which I was happy to see. But not one old coin at this site. I did get the two Wheaties there and needless to say, seeing Lincoln instead of Liberty was not a joy.

I decided to head deeper into the woods, to the site my son and I got 6 coins at last month on one hunt and since I was hunting with the smaller coil today I was hoping to squeeze out some more coins or buttons. Well, I did get one more Large Cent from there, which I missed with my stock coil, so kudos to the smaller coil doing its job. Also got two more buttons in the same area which I pound a few times before with the stock coil.

The Large Cent is an 1812 Classic Head, worn down quite a bit, but good enough for ID and that is fine with me. The cufflinks after cleaning showed some beaded design, but if there was any more design, it was worn off. The Shoe buckle piece came from the new site, forgot to mention that. I will return to the new site shortly and press a tad harder to get a coin from there.................

Did not have my camera with me today, so no site photos.

Don

Attachments

• April7thFindsSite237and239.jpg
    April7thFindsSite237and239.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 551
  • 1812LC.jpg
    1812LC.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent work once again Don! Thanks for keeping us inspired with your photos and finds. :thumbsup:

Steve

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
nice finds thanks for the pics

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on another Classic Head. You really need a lot of patience to work those trashy sites. Good luck on your return.

Neil

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Don.

Wheaties almost make me sick anymore at a 1870's or earlier sites. It seems that coins from that time period were much more scarce. I love to find old coppers. Located a great site Sunday but no coppers yet.

HH Jer

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Don, im hoping to dig a LC sometime this year, keep it up and HH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Nice job on the relics and congrats on the LC.
You're persistance, and smaller coil paid off. :thumbsup:
-MM-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the Classic Head LC. I'd love to find another one. It's been years--and they seem to be elusive coins to find. I would think they should be found more frequently in general than they are. :icon_scratch:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
You have some pretty nice finds there. Those areas can be tough to work and looks like you are doing well. Love the relic hunting!!!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LC on my wish list this yr but far and few around here. HH :thumbsup:

skunemonk

Mar 6, 2006
Congrats on the large cent. I find a lot of old cellar holes were used as farm dumps, it sure makes finding the good stuff difficult.Good luck when you hit that site again.

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
older than the dirt it was in ......well almost lol good large cent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread