1814 Holed Capped Bust Dime!!!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Yesterday, after searching for about an hour at a passive park in one of the oldest sections of a nearby town, I almost fell over when I pulled this coin out of the ground from 5 inches. It is the oldest American silver coin I've found and was just as thrilling as when I found my first large cent (1807, March 2005) and my oldest large cent (1795, August 2005).

Attachments

• bustdime.jpg
    bustdime.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 582
  • bustdime2.jpg
    bustdime2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Great find. I have yet to find a 19th Century silver coin..........

But my very limited understanding of coins with holes is that sometimes they were holed to help keep from losing them. A couple stitches of thread through them (inside your pocket) would help assure that it wouldn't be jostled out. In other words, it was sewn into the INSIDE of your pocket.

My two cents worth....

Great find, though. I really don't think the holes detract from the brauty of them at all.

Roger

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have fell over! :D

Awesome find!!!

;)

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
L
ramjet2187 said:
Great find.? I have yet to find a 19th Century silver coin..........

But my very limited understanding of coins with holes is that sometimes they were holed to help keep from losing them.? A couple stitches of thread through them (inside your pocket) would help assure that it wouldn't be jostled out.? In other words, it was sewn into the INSIDE of your pocket.?

My two cents worth....

Great find, though.? I really don't think the holes detract from the brauty of them at all.

Roger
ramjet2187 said:

But my very limited understanding of coins with holes is that sometimes they were holed to help keep from losing them.? A couple stitches of thread through them (inside your pocket) would help assure that it wouldn't be jostled out.? In other words, it was sewn into the INSIDE of your pocket.?

My two cents worth....

Great find, though.? I really don't think the holes detract from the brauty of them at all.

Roger
ramjet2187 said:

My two cents worth....

Roger

Looks like the stitches didn't work so well for whoever lost this coin...good thing for bookfisher.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would've crapped my drawer's on the spot...great find....how many back flip's did you say you did?Congrat's and HH

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Excellent find! A holed coin is a great historical peice I'm sure you'll treasure forever.
At 5 inches I bet it sang out loud and clear "Dig me!"
HH!

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find. it sucks that theres a hole in it though

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think my oldest coin is over a hundred years newer! Excellent! Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find! Someone was probably wearing it at the time it was lost. Whenever I find one of these great items I like to remember the exact spot where I found it. If only these things could talk.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! What an incredible find!! CONGRATS!!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
ramjet2187 said:

My two cents worth....

Roger

Hi Roger,

Just keep hunting old areas and eventually you'll find one. Don't be shy about asking permission to detect on old private property. Also, I've done quite well on town owned passive properties that used to be farm land (we don't have that much currently farmed land here on Long Island, except for the east end). I'm sure in your area of Tennessee, there's got to be 100 to 150 year old farm land to detect. If it's town or county owned and it's dormant, you probably don't need permission to detect.

Also you are right about the coins being sewed inside jackets. They were also strung together and worn around the neck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread