1814 Holed Capped Bust Dime!!!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Yesterday, after searching for about an hour at a passive park in one of the oldest sections of a nearby town, I almost fell over when I pulled this coin out of the ground from 5 inches. It is the oldest American silver coin I've found and was just as thrilling as when I found my first large cent (1807, March 2005) and my oldest large cent (1795, August 2005).

Attachments

• bustdime.jpg
    bustdime.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 582
  • bustdime2.jpg
    bustdime2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Also, what made it even more exciting, is that I'm not an expert on 19th century U.S. coins, and when I lifted it from the hole, I was looking at the eagle on the reverse. I initially thought I had a Seated Liberty Dime, because I know a Seated Liberty Quarter has an eagle on the reverse, so when I flipped it over and saw the Capped Bust and the 1814 date, I was floored again.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Klaatu said:
That's extra nice. Congrats!

Hello Klaatu,

By the way, I'm sorry for that rude post last night about the contractor's Capped Bust Half Dollar. I really didn't think you made the cleaning part up, but I did think you were passing on some misinformation about the story, since no where on the net, did it go into about the coin being cleaned. Again, sorry for the post. Also, very strange, because in the last 24 hrs I've thought about that 1817/14 Capped Bust half dollar a lot (and even showed my business partner the story on the net) and then today I dig up my first Capped Bust coin and it's an 1814 to boot. Weird.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations. How are you going to top that this year? You started out 2006 with a bang.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W O W ! What a find ! I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing with us.

Huntin' 59er

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Very nice!! ;D

curious....who would drill a hole in a coin? I punched a hole in a quarter once to attach a fishing line into it once (didn't use it, but I made it :))...but I doubt that's why your coin has a hole in it! :D

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
bookfisher said:
Hello Klaatu,

By the way, I'm sorry for that rude post last night about the contractor's Capped Bust Half Dollar. I really didn't think you made the cleaning part up, but I did think you were passing on some misinformation about the story, since no where on the net, did it go into about the coin being cleaned. Again, sorry for the post.

No problem.

Now let that be a lesson. When you go accusing somebody of something that's not true you will turn right around and find a nearly 200 year old coin with a hole in it. So let that be your punishment.

(Who can I accuse of making up a story about a Dahlonega gold piece? 8) )

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn those holes! Still a nice find though (better than mine 'cause I don't have any Bust coins).
Congrats!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice way to start off the year!
It can only get better from here, right?
Way to go!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you just hate surprises.....Not when they look like that :D :D Great find...........Seeker

G

Goot

Cool find. If only that coin could talk. History, don't you just love it?

Goot

Ace 250

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can just hear that coin saying "Come an get me! Come an get me! Congrats on the find hole and all. Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread