What's new

1830 Large Cent

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
10,082
Reaction score
17,067
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was able to slip out for a little hunt last night. I only had a little time, so I went around the corner to an old, well hunted spot, that promised to yield nothing more than a bit of exercise and a couple of bottle caps.

I have hunted that very spot where I found the coin, several times... as have others, so I was quite surprised when an 1830 large cent came out of the hole... along with some trash. You just never know what you will find, and those "iffy" signals that others don't dig occasionally turn out to be something good. However, you better get ready to dig buckets full of trash!

Only the second LC that I have found in NC in two years.

Thanks for looking, and best of luck on your hunts!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160511_184752_912-1.webp
    IMG_20160511_184752_912-1.webp
    208.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20160508_155410_388-1.webp
    IMG_20160508_155410_388-1.webp
    276.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20160512_105228 (002).webp
    IMG_20160512_105228 (002).webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Upvote 54
Wow. Great find for out neck of the woods. Thanks for cleaning the ground out of all the signals....now I know why everywhere I go my detector runs silent.
 
Congratz Tom! Now get a toothpick to that lady!
 
Tom those iffy signals are seldom winners, but when they are, some of the best items come out. Congrats on a Largie, you must have gone nuts! Too bad Smittyman wasn't there or you could have done a jig around that old goat! Lol
 
Great find Tom, were you able to Kick it out of ground or did you actually have to dig it. You know I couldn't resist that:laughing7:
 
Congrats on ur great find , I think never find here in the southwest
 
I've had some good luck recently digging up the deep "squeakers" that barely come through all the iron grunts. A lot of trash, that's for sure, but older sites can produce if you are willing to fully explore. Great find, and congrats!
 
You proved a short hunt can pay off with a nice one! Good find!
 
Wow that's awesome, thats awesome finding a large cent close to home in a well hit area, good job brother!
 
Congrats Tom, I'm still looking my first US LC.
 
Congrats on the LC Tom, :occasion14: you just had to beat my oldest by 1 year didn't you...:BangHead: It's supposed to rain this weekend, but I have a 5.4 acre site where the house was built in the 1820's I will be in the Brambles in the rain, hoping to pull a coin like that one.
 
Wow, Sweet one there!!
It's been awhile for an old copper up here and their everywhere up here, almost everywhere lol. Great to see you find one where they aren't so plentiful. That was probably better then finding a few silvers.
Congrats!!
 
That's a sweet 1830 Large cent, Tom! Did you check it for varieties? There are three rare varieties of 1830 Large cents that are always sought-after, I can't tell which one is yours without seeing the backside of the coin.

Still looking for my first large cent - and you're right, you just never know until you dig it!
 
That's a sweet 1830 Large cent, Tom! Did you check it for varieties? There are three rare varieties of 1830 Large cents that are always sought-after, I can't tell which one is yours without seeing the backside of the coin.

Still looking for my first large cent - and you're right, you just never know until you dig it!

Thanks CZ. The ground around here is not kind to copper coins, as you can see by the obverse of the coin. The reverse, way worse... they usually have one bad side, and one worse side! Just glad I found something other than trash.

Best of luck to you on finding your first LC.
 
Nice Largie Tom. Im still hoping to dig one some day. See what happens when you dig targets, instead of just kicking them. :-).
 
SHE IS CUTE FOR A BIG MAMA :--)
 
Like I always say, "he who digs the most holes and the most junk finds the most goodies". Looks like it rings true again. Always nice to find the large ones!
 
Congrats on the LC Tom, :occasion14: you just had to beat my oldest by 1 year didn't you...:BangHead: It's supposed to rain this weekend, but I have a 5.4 acre site where the house was built in the 1820's I will be in the Brambles in the rain, hoping to pull a coin like that one.

Loco, the bramble is where the coins hide man. But do you want everyone to know?!?! Lol.

Tell Keith's brother-in-law I said hello
 
I've got two of those very same buckets in the trunk and 3 or 4 more at the back of the house. That reminds me, I need to change out the ones in the car.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom