1840 Nova Scotia penny!

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this behind my house, at a permission I’ve detected often. Looking at old maps, I realized there was once a colonial building near this little sliver of woods I’d sorta skipped over. How would a coin like this end up in northern NJ in the mid 1800s? 🤔 sorry it’s a bit blurry
A65C7FDD-80E5-4E6E-A5F2-32B319D99888.jpeg
0F0AF65A-56F3-4E31-BBC1-5C52A6504380.jpeg

Upvote 23

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this behind my house, at a permission I’ve detected often. Looking at old maps, I realized there was once a colonial building near this little sliver of woods I’d sorta skipped over. How would a coin like this end up in northern NJ in the mid 1800s? 🤔 sorry it’s a bit blurry View attachment 1991231 View attachment 1991232
Good work on the research to make that find. Could be a sailor or other visitor came through there.Reckon that building could have been a tavern? Forgive me,I have a very vivid imagination.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work on the research to make that find. Could be a sailor or other visitor came through there.Reckon that building could have been a tavern? Forgive me,I have a very vivid imagination.
Best part of detecting Is the imagining…I have read there was a tavern not far away in the 1700s, but probabky too far to have ended up in this particular spot.

OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it's a half penny token; mintage 300k including three variations.
Don.......
What does mintage 300k mean? And the bit about the 3 varietie? I’m a newbie to this! Also how would a token have been used? It was found next to a very old road but there were no tolls there that I know of.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find !
Looks a lot like the 1840's Nova Scotia "Thistle" Half Penny Token I found in Maine about ten years ago.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! I've found several of the halfpenny and penny tokens in New Brunswick. They look like they are pure or nearly pure copper and sometimes one will come out of the ground in exceptional condition. I think they are beautiful coins, only surpassed by our New Brunswick ship tokens. Tokens were used by the British colonies in North America before they were legally entitled to issue money. They were used in the pound, shilling, pence, halfpence system of Britain, before the decimal monetary system was adopted in most of North America.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on he Half Penny, they make for a good hunt and memory.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does mintage 300k mean? And the bit about the 3 varietie? I’m a newbie to this! Also how would a token have been used? It was found next to a very old road but there were no tolls there that I know of.
I believe the hamburg turnpike was the first toll road in America..

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find !
Looks a lot like the 1840's Nova Scotia "Thistle" Half Penny Token I found in Maine about ten years ago.
interesting. guess it makes a bit more sense finding it up there. congrats!

OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I've found several of the halfpenny and penny tokens in New Brunswick. They look like they are pure or nearly pure copper and sometimes one will come out of the ground in exceptional condition. I think they are beautiful coins, only surpassed by our New Brunswick ship tokens. Tokens were used by the British colonies in North America before they were legally entitled to issue money. They were used in the pound, shilling, pence, halfpence system of Britain, before the decimal monetary system was adopted in most of North America.
Thanks for the interesting info. (id been thinking about going to NS next summer and feel like this is a message from the universe!) also love that thistle, being of Scottish descent.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet find, nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used