What's new

1848 United States large cent coin found today!!

bigchz

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2014
Messages
32
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 previously, now I own a Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest coin ever!! What a rush to pull this beauty out!! Doing electrolysis right now, will post updated pics. image.webpimage.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 50
I have to admit when I read the word electrolysis I flinched a little. I've seen some pretty good finds end up toasted after an electrolysis session. I'd like to hear your specific setup as well. Looks like it works pretty well for you. Congrats on the find and kudos on the donation of it. :thumbsup:
 
Nice find! Being on the west coast I don't see too many of them. I have been lucky enough to find 3 so far, none nearly as nice as yours.
 
Double Congrats to you,,
One for recovering such a pretty coin
The second for donating it to the local historical society out of appreciation for their permission to allow you to search on their property.
 
Wow! I thought the detail was already pretty good, and cringed a little bit when you said you were going to use electrolysis. I've always been afraid to do that with coppers. But now, I'm going to have to reconsider. I can't believe the difference it made. Thanks for sharing!
 
That's a beauty!! Congrats!!
 
Thanks for all your wonderful comments. The set up I used consisted of a small plastic tote. I then attached a deep cycle marine battery positive terminal to an old wrench. I then took the negative terminal and attached a very small alligator clip to the coin. Fill the plastic tote with water. Mix in washing soda, about 3 tablespoons. ( this helps with conductivity). Submerge the wrench in water, and submerge coin in close proximity. I waited about 1 hour. Those are the results. Hope that helps :)
 
I have to admit when I read the word electrolysis I flinched a little. I've seen some pretty good finds end up toasted after an electrolysis session. I'd like to hear your specific setup as well. Looks like it works pretty well for you. Congrats on the find and kudos on the donation of it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. The set up I used consisted of a small plastic tote. I then attached a deep cycle marine battery positive terminal to an old wrench. I then took the negative terminal and attached a very small alligator clip to the coin. Fill the plastic tote with water. Mix in washing soda, about 3 tablespoons. ( this helps with conductivity). Submerge the wrench in water, and submerge coin in close proximity. I waited about 1 hour. Those are the results. Hope that helps :)
 
When you said you use washing soda, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean baking soda? I have used water with a little salt and that isn't the best for copper.
Thanks for all your wonderful comments. The set up I used consisted of a small plastic tote. I then attached a deep cycle marine battery positive terminal to an old wrench. I then took the negative terminal and attached a very small alligator clip to the coin. Fill the plastic tote with water. Mix in washing soda, about 3 tablespoons. ( this helps with conductivity). Submerge the wrench in water, and submerge coin in close proximity. I waited about 1 hour. Those are the results. Hope that helps :)
 
When you said you use washing soda, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean baking soda? I have used water with a little salt and that isn't the best for copper.

Sodium carbonate, this stuff is what I use. Hope that helps.image.webp
 
I've thought about electrolysis with my LC's, but was always a bit nervous trying it with copper. Yours came out incredibly detailed, good job :thumbsup:
 
WTG on the LC. Personally I'd stay away from electrolysis on coins, too much risk. I pre-clean mine with a toothpick, then soak in water. If needed I use a toothbrush to remove any stubborn crud. After that I coat & polish with Renaissance wax and slap into a 2x2.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom