1849 GOLD COIN, FROM THE GOLD RUSH..IN PHILLY..WOW.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I purchased a new detector, The Blisstool V5.. Its said to go really really deep, for a VLF.
The reason for the buy is my old sites I have are starting to dry up.
The only things i have been finding are deep iffy signals.
So i thought i would give this one a try..
Not a everday detector. No screen, no VDI numbers to go by, and only one tone, and scratches for iron.
So glad i bought it!!!
Not that it was really deep or anything but would probably never would of dug it..If I was not listening really close..
Sorry for going on about the detector..
And the good part..
I was just about to go, it was so hot today. I already found a 1865 IH.
A flat button a musket ball. ( the musket ball was crazy deep.
12 or so inches down)
And i said just one more descent find and im leaving. .
Boy I am so glad i said that!!!!
I flip the plug and I see this gold edge. .I almost pooped myself. .lol
I grab my phone and take a pic..
Then I knocked a little dirt off and all i see is 1849..I stand up and started to do a dance..SAYING I FOUND A GOLD COIN..I FOUND A GOLD COIN. OHHHH YEAAAA..LOL.
Now I dont want to rub it so i grab a hand full of the dirt and put it in my film canister. .Shut my detector off and head straight to the truck..
My heart was pounding out of my chest..Called my wife, I new she was in class teaching, but hey!!!! I just found a gold coin!!! Lol
She told great honey now can i go back to work??? Ok i said..lol
So I got home and ran it under water .Wow dirt just fall off..
After a little bit of research.
I found out it is a coin token from the hold rush era..The first year made..
In my eyes I think that is so much cooler then a $1 dollar coin that I thought it was..
Sorry for the long winded post..
But as you see, Iam pretty excited about this find..
Thanks for looking. .
George

Attachments

• 1431467893265.jpg
    1431467893265.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 1431467920425.jpg
    1431467920425.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 463
  • 1431467935426.jpg
    1431467935426.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 441
  • 1431467954775.jpg
    1431467954775.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 405
  • 1431467971025.jpg
    1431467971025.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 44

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"bear Token" I was always under the impression that the bear on back means fake,i know a guy that has a few hundred just like these,he told me they are all fakes,maybe he has something there and doesn't know it

That seems to be true. He says gold on the listing, and I guess as long as it's 9k you can get away with that. Now that I think about it, the token being so small even just gold plating likely makes it 9k. Oh yes, reading the title again... "1849 dated token" ... yeah carefully chosen words. :)

"None of the original California gold coins have bears as a design device. Your tokens are modern replicas. Though most are brass or gold plated and some are minted in 9 Karat gold, their numismatic value is nil."

http://coinsite.com/fractional-gold-coins-or-just-tokens/

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"bear Token" I was always under the impression that the bear on back means fake,i know a guy that has a few hundred just like these,he told me they are all fakes,maybe he has something there and doesn't know it

The one,s that were copied, were the bear ones. It does not mean ever one is fake..
George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one,s that were copied, were the bear ones. It does not mean ever one is fake..
George

If the link I posted above is correct he says there is no genuine ones that had bears on them.

"None of the original California gold coins have bears as a design device. Your tokens are modern replicas. Though most are brass or gold plated and some are minted in 9 Karat gold, their numismatic value is nil."

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that it seems to be sorted out, congrats on the real different find Vino.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that it seems to be sorted out, congrats on the real different find Vino.

Obviously people still collect these... probably quite a few fooled into thinking they are getting something better, but as you say a cool find none the less.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok that would make sense,but what doesn't,is ngc calling it a token,or the fact that redbook says they started production of these in 1852...I will say it is cool

They sure are making it easy for sellers to deceive buyers. They should at min. word it something like.... "Modern 1849 dated token" Saying it's gold, well it is sort of being 9k, and it is a token, but the era it was created should be made clear. Now looking at the wording it makes sense, but not everyone is going to pick up that "1849 dated" does not mean made in 1849. Then attaching an MS grade gives it more credibility to an unsuspecting buyer.

Last edited:

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
They sure are making it easy for sellers to deceive buyers. They should at min. word it something like.... "Modern 1849 dated token" Saying it's gold, well it is sort of being 9k, and it is a token, but the era it was created should be made clear. Now looking at the wording it makes sense, but not everyone is going to pick up that "1849 dated" does not mean made in 1849.

yeah,when I started looking into these,i got disappointed,in how many fakes are out there,that was why I suggested a mass spec gun,you could at least find out if there is gold in it

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah,when I started looking into these,i got disappointed,in how many fakes are out there,that was why I suggested a mass spec gun,you could at least find out if there is gold in it

Lots of fakes, but at least there's lots of info. online to eventually get it sorted out in the end.

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of fakes, but at least there's lots of info. online to eventually get it sorted out in the end.

If you read the specs on line, they said the fake ones, meaning not gold. Were thicker..and the real gold ones are paper thin like this one.
Thats how to tell the plated ones..
Alot of info out there like you said..

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post 42
For someone who knows nothing about California gold, you sure have allot to say.
Sound like a e bay expert to me.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jmo
Sometimes people need to admit they don't know everything, even when they think they do.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post 42
For someone who knows nothing about California gold, you sure have allot to say.
Sound like a e bay expert to me.

I don't know anything, just sorting it out as I go, and I think I'm there now. In that post I did not realize how light these things are, because you can tell the difference when you hold a small gold coin.... but at half a gram I think it would be pretty hard to judge in that range.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jmo
Sometimes people need to admit they don't know everything, even when they think they do.

I don't recall ever giving a definitive answer and at least I'm helping get to the bottom of it, instead of like some who just want to run their mouth and add nothing. And that is just my opinion.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read the specs on line, they said the fake ones, meaning not gold. Were thicker..and the real gold ones are paper thin like this one.
Thats how to tell the plated ones..
Alot of info out there like you said..

That doesn't mean all fake ones would have to be thick, it's just an easy way to rule many out.... sort of like a magnet silver test.... if it sticks then there's no need to investigate further.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Still a cool find either way Vino..I must say i love the controversy!

Cut a deep groove in it and have it tested..If it's real shove it in IP's face..:laughing7:

~Blaze~

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a very nice find Vino. You never cease to amaze.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a cool find either way Vino..I must say i love the controversy!

Cut a deep groove in it and have it tested..If it's real shove it in IP's face..:laughing7:

~Blaze~

Well if there was no genuine ones with a bear on them I think I'm pretty safe... but I'll give an A for effort.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go vino. I know Tom can't wait to get up there and hunt with you. A BIG congratulations.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if there was no genuine ones with a bear on them I think I'm pretty safe... but I'll give an A for effort.

HAA IP we need people like you to dig and get to the bottom of things:icon_thumleft:

I would hate to see fake things up on the banner..

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread