timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these at a garage sale. The gold coin is engraved on one side. I thought it was a little medal when I saw it, but when I looked closer I saw that it was a gold coin. Not sure why it was engraved, almost looks like a little love token. The sterling tray weighs 3.1 ot. Paid $1 for these. You never know what you'll find at garage sales.

Attachments

• 20210815_215757.jpg
    20210815_215757.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 528
  • 20210815_215913.jpg
    20210815_215913.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 20210815_215946.jpg
    20210815_215946.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 44

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... I thought I had good luck at garage sales this weekend. That is awesome. I'm speechless congrats. Worth way more than what you paid.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically speaking you paid nothing for this haul as the $1 gold coin is still legal tender worth its face value of $1 to the United States government. So you actually didn't 'pay' but rather exchanged a dollar for a dollar and a silver tray, you got the tray for free and exchanged a fiat dollar for a gold dollar. Best deal I've ever seen, well done!

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, my best find in years

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically speaking you paid nothing for this haul as the $1 gold coin is still legal tender worth its face value of $1 to the United States government. So you actually didn't 'pay' but rather exchanged a dollar for a dollar and a silver tray, you got the tray for free and exchanged a fiat dollar for a gold dollar. Best deal I've ever seen, well done!

Good way of looking at it, I didnt even think about that. Pretty good deal! I wonder what the coin is worth since its engraved.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn nice score! Love the old script engraved on it!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way of looking at it, I didn't even think about that. Pretty good deal! I wonder what the coin is worth since its engraved.
Well it's always worth it's weight & maybe a bit more to the right Love Token collector. I think that bar & loop 'might' be 9Kt as well.
What is odd to me is the front incised face was so much more important that they didn't worry about putting the reverse date up-side-down. I would still want that readable, but that's just me.
Great finds, I think I might of just of needed to give them a $10 bill so I didn't feel so bad....lol

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's always worth it's weight & maybe a bit more to the right Love Token collector. I think that bar & loop 'might' be 9Kt as well.
What is odd to me is the front incised face was so much more important that they didn't worry about putting the reverse date up-side-down. I would still want that readable, but that's just me.
Great finds, I think I might of just of needed to give them a $10 bill so I didn't feel so bad....lol

Sometimes I feel bad when I get a good score at a garage sale. But I also remember how much time I spend driving around to sales. The funny thing is, the sale these were at was run by people who buy estates and storage units. I go to their sales a few times a year. I would have expected them to have some knowledge on coins and precious metals. This medal was so small I don't think anyone really even thought it could be valuable. It looked like junk on the table or a kids toy until I took a closer look

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I?m always conflicted when seeing fools and their money parted. More so since they hired a company who should know better but regardless, at least it?s ended up with an owner who will appreciate it. And because of that I say congratulations and great find!

All the foregoing is rescinded if you scrap it [emoji2371]

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?m always conflicted when seeing fools and their money parted. More so since they hired a company who should know better but regardless, at least it?s ended up with an owner who will appreciate it. And because of that I say congratulations and great find!

All the foregoing is rescinded if you scrap it [emoji2371]

It will go in the coin collection, I've got 4 kids that will get it when I'm gone. Everything I collect will probably wind up going to them, but they will know what its worth. It will not be sold at an estate sale, or a yard sale. It's my life long treasure hunt, years of work that they will know the history of.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Everyone on Tnet is making me jealous these days :notworthy:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just unreal ! Why can't I find garage sales with items like that ? I really like that love token, and the fact that it was made out of a gold coin is unreal.

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Splendid find!
If I came across that at a yard sale, the owner may not know much about it but he would say it is from 1854 so it has to worth a lot of money, such as $500. But I could dicker him down to $495. That is the kind of deals I typically find.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just unreal ! Why can't I find garage sales with items like that ? I really like that love token, and the fact that it was made out of a gold coin is unreal.

I wonder if it de-values the coin, or maybe makes it worth more? I don't know much about love tokens or engraved coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread