What's new

1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Pestle!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a decent week with the weather cooperating. Some of the finds included a really cool little half dime, and a super cool Native American, Appalachian NC Pestle. ID'd in the American Indian thread. Most likely used to grind hominy.
:icon_thumleft:

Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • 2012-03-03 008.webp
    2012-03-03 008.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 2012-03-03 003.webp
    2012-03-03 003.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 2012-03-03 002.webp
    2012-03-03 002.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 2012-03-03 009.webp
    2012-03-03 009.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,380
  • 2012-03-03 007.webp
    2012-03-03 007.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,374
  • 2012-03-03 006.webp
    2012-03-03 006.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 2012-03-03 005.webp
    2012-03-03 005.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • 2012-03-03 001.webp
    2012-03-03 001.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 2012-03-03 004.webp
    2012-03-03 004.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 2012-03-03 012.webp
    2012-03-03 012.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,463
  • 2012-03-03 011.webp
    2012-03-03 011.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 2012-03-03 010.webp
    2012-03-03 010.webp
    41 KB · Views: 1,400
Upvote 0
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime

Cool looking relic's Mike.Love the Half Dime and tag :icon_thumright:
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime

Mike, Nice stuff man!!!Wish the snow would disappear here,losing to much depth.Is that a Gourmet Jelly Bean? :laughing7: God Bless Chris
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime

Really nice half dime. Looks like the Easter Bunny visited your home early this year! HH Andi
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

Love the half dime.I am looking foward to digging one one of these days.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

"I had a decent week .." Is an understatement .. Looks like you had a fantastic week to me! Nice finds Mike!
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

Some great finds there Mike. :thumbsup:
Is the end of the hammerstone smooth or has it been broken?
Looks like it may have been a celt.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

HILL BILLY said:
Some great finds there Mike. :thumbsup:
Is the end of the hammerstone smooth or has it been broken?
Looks like it may have been a celt.
Yes it has been broken. Someone else suggested Celt...Nice
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

creskol said:
"I had a decent week .." Is an understatement .. Looks like you had a fantastic week to me! Nice finds Mike!
LOL OK, I had a FANTASTIC week! I suppose any thie we get out, it is Fantastic right? The finds are just a bonus.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

Woodland Detectors said:
HILL BILLY said:
Some great finds there Mike. :thumbsup:
Is the end of the hammerstone smooth or has it been broken?
Looks like it may have been a celt.
Yes it has been broken. Someone else suggested Celt...Nice
Great find, I'd go back and look for the other piece.
Here's a celt a friend of mine bought last year.
 

Attachments

  • Celt 002.webp
    Celt 002.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,550
  • Celt 002.webp
    Celt 002.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,448
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

Woodland Detectors said:
creskol said:
"I had a decent week .." Is an understatement .. Looks like you had a fantastic week to me! Nice finds Mike!
LOL OK, I had a FANTASTIC week! I suppose any thie we get out, it is Fantastic right? The finds are just a bonus.
Mike, How true that statement is!!!!!!
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

HILL BILLY said:
Woodland Detectors said:
HILL BILLY said:
Some great finds there Mike. :thumbsup:
Is the end of the hammerstone smooth or has it been broken?
Looks like it may have been a celt.
Yes it has been broken. Someone else suggested Celt...Nice
Great find, I'd go back and look for the other piece.
Here's a celt a friend of mine bought last year.
That is beautiful! Great ID HB!
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

wow, that celt is sweet...never came crossed one. I used to hunt for Indian artifacts in Southeastern Ohio.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Nice bunch of finds.

Thats what makes field hunting so much fun.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Nice finds! And thanks...now I want some Jelly Belly's!
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Super Finds Mike! Love the Celt and old Silver! :wink:
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

I would love to find a Celt. Were you near water when you found it? I always search banks and elevated spots near creeks and rivers but I never have any luck finding Native American artifacts. I've found a few points in fields but I WANT to find a Celt like yours.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Nice hunt Mike. Love that unique native american find - awesome!
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

good digging
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Now that you have added that last pic Mike, I question that being a celt?
It doesnt appear to have a bit end on it or any tapering.
Is it the same diameter from one end to the other?
Also is it a hard stone material like granite?
It looks like sand stone, very porous not good for stone tools.
 

Attachments

  • Celt 005.webp
    Celt 005.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Celt 005.webp
    Celt 005.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,407

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom