What's new

1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Pestle!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a decent week with the weather cooperating. Some of the finds included a really cool little half dime, and a super cool Native American, Appalachian NC Pestle. ID'd in the American Indian thread. Most likely used to grind hominy.
:icon_thumleft:

Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • 2012-03-03 008.webp
    2012-03-03 008.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 2012-03-03 001.webp
    2012-03-03 001.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 2012-03-03 004.webp
    2012-03-03 004.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 2012-03-03 005.webp
    2012-03-03 005.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • 2012-03-03 006.webp
    2012-03-03 006.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 2012-03-03 007.webp
    2012-03-03 007.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,374
  • 2012-03-03 009.webp
    2012-03-03 009.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,380
  • 2012-03-03 002.webp
    2012-03-03 002.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 2012-03-03 003.webp
    2012-03-03 003.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 2012-03-03 010.webp
    2012-03-03 010.webp
    41 KB · Views: 1,400
  • 2012-03-03 011.webp
    2012-03-03 011.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 2012-03-03 012.webp
    2012-03-03 012.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,463
Upvote 0
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Nice finds... What is the coin/token next to the indian head???
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Those are some really nice finds. Congrats on the half dime.
Dman
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Nice assortment of finds! Love that celt.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Hammer Stone?

HILL BILLY said:
Woodland Detectors said:
HILL BILLY said:
Some great finds there Mike. :thumbsup:
Is the end of the hammerstone smooth or has it been broken?
Looks like it may have been a celt.
Yes it has been broken. Someone else suggested Celt...Nice
Great find, I'd go back and look for the other piece.
Here's a celt a friend of mine bought last year.

What material is that? I've not seen one like that before.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

That is some killer finds.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Very nice !! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

Nice finds! For a minute I thought you had a jelly bean detector!!! My G2 should be here on Monday. I have got to get up there to your neck of the woods before I return to Utah in June. Thanks again!! PB
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

The half dime is definitely on my hope to find one day list. Nice finds.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

joeyfresh said:
I would love to find a Celt. Were you near water when you found it? I always search banks and elevated spots near creeks and rivers but I never have any luck finding Native American artifacts. I've found a few points in fields but I WANT to find a Celt like yours.
Thanks Joey. I was near water. Just off a bank. I was digging a good brass signal when the Celt popped out.
 
Re: 1854 Philly Half Dime, and Native American Celt!

That's a KILLER H.D. Mike and you spanned thousands of years with the celt. I see dug the elusuive brass oval "saddle shield" too. HH and Go Vols, Q.
 
awesome finds!! love the half dime!
 
HILL BILLY said:
Now that you have added that last pic Mike, I question that being a celt?
It doesnt appear to have a bit end on it or any tapering.
Is it the same diameter from one end to the other?
Also is it a hard stone material like granite?
It looks like sand stone, very porous not good for stone tools.
Good Call HB. You are right!
VOL1266-X said:
That's a KILLER H.D. Mike and you spanned thousands of years with the celt. I see dug the elusuive brass oval "saddle shield" too. HH and Go Vols, Q.
Thanks Quindy
 
i was going to suggest it being a pestle and now I see the post title has changed.
Where did you come up with the pestle idea?
 
I really like the baggage tag Mike! :o
Congrats on the 1854 Seated Dime too! :hello2:

Great finds,
Dave
 
Nice finds. :thumbsup: I have the match to your watch fob. It's from the 1904 presidential race between Parker - Davis and Roosevelt (Teddy)- Fairbanks. The one have looks just like yours but with the different names.

Wolverine.
 
Cool finds. What flavor is the jelly bean? :laughing7:
 
Great finds!!!
:icon_thumleft:

Joe
 
Nice finds!!!!

I am a little jealous...I've never dug a jelly bean.

What kind of trade in value would you give me for my gently used Ace 250 against a detector that will pick up solid tones on jelly beans?
 
Sweet finds Mike :icon_thumleft:

I found the same clock piece on one of my earlier sites..

They are early i believe Colonial..Not positive on that :D

Killer coins and relics :headbang:

Have fun out there..


Blaze
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom