1861 Seated half, tongue Buckle and awesome Opium Pipe!

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,

Attachments

• ch coin.jpg
    ch coin.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 146
  • half 2.jpg
    half 2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 167
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_8604.JPG
    IMG_8604.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 151
  • pipe 3.jpg
    pipe 3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 156
  • keepers.jpg
    keepers.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 22
Ron... love your videos and your finds... they make me a jealous man!

QUESTION: I have a really good detecting site that I have found a number of those half-moon shaped things with holes punched in them... I think during your video you say "toe tack". What exactly are they and how old do you think they are?

Cheers

Ron... love your videos and your finds... they make me a jealous man!

QUESTION: I have a really good detecting site that I have found a number of those half-moon shaped things with holes punched in them... I think during your video you say "toe tack". What exactly are they and how old do you think they are?

Cheers

Toe Taps or Toe Plates "Tap" is a bit deceiving as it really is not a tap at all but a boot making support item.

Nailed onto the boot at the toe between the leather and the sole acting as an anchor point to secure the sole. "TOE TAP" seems to be the common terminology used. These are found in 1850-1880 sites all the time and not necessarily related to any particular area. You will find them in old homes sites, civil war sites, gold rush etc. Any place boots where boots were worn during that time frame.

I am not a TOE TAP expert but that is my take anyway.

Attachments

• toe tap.JPG
    toe tap.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 50
The tongue and the half dollar are killer finds! What is the pipe made from?

Those are some awesome finds. I'm not even sure which one is my favorite, they're all sweet.

The tongue and the half dollar are killer finds! What is the pipe made from?

Pipe is brass--it will be argued that it is a tobacco pipe, but the Chinese were in this area and they were smoking opium like crazy!! LOL We found no less than 50 opium tins in this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back