What's new

1864 Gold Sovereign

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
10,425
Reaction score
2,724
Golden Thread
1
Location
UK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Well I have been on quite a roll lately with some early nice finds for the time of year :) and today it continued, searching the field were I missed out on the outher week I found my second Gold coin :headbang:

The field was the one that I couldn't do because of a very late night :-\ were Michael my buddie took 27 Roman Bronzes and 2 Hammered from, well today I made up for it, after about an hour of searching the field, I flipped over a signal and revealed the colour we all dream off :o A Victorian 1864 Sovereign :headbang: This our second Gold Sovereign for this year, hopefully not the last Goldi we will find :) I also added to my Silver Hammered count, with another Edward? penny :) bringing my total now to 13 :)
The detecting time for our fields is coming to an end shortly, the crop is growing rapidly, but hopefully I might have a few more goodies to show before we stop till Harvest :icon_thumleft:

SS
 

Attachments

  • Gold Coin 001.webp
    Gold Coin 001.webp
    105.7 KB · Views: 3,420
  • Gold Coin 002.webp
    Gold Coin 002.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 3,425
  • Gold Coin 007.webp
    Gold Coin 007.webp
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,387
  • Gold Coin 008.webp
    Gold Coin 008.webp
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,392
  • Gold Coin 013.webp
    Gold Coin 013.webp
    67.4 KB · Views: 3,349
  • Gold Coin 015.webp
    Gold Coin 015.webp
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,389
  • Gold Coin 018.webp
    Gold Coin 018.webp
    108.8 KB · Views: 3,337
  • Gold Coin 019.webp
    Gold Coin 019.webp
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,323
  • Gold Coin 024.webp
    Gold Coin 024.webp
    90 KB · Views: 3,328
  • Gold Coin 026.webp
    Gold Coin 026.webp
    90.8 KB · Views: 3,277
  • Gold Coin 029.webp
    Gold Coin 029.webp
    116.4 KB · Views: 3,283
  • Gold Coin 021.webp
    Gold Coin 021.webp
    147.1 KB · Views: 3,330
Upvote 6
Gold is always nice. What is the little '64' on the reverse side?

What I really like is that pottery shard with the relief on it. It's pretty darned clear. Shame there wasn't more to it, pieces-wise.
 
DMN said:
Gold is always nice. What is the little '64' on the reverse side?

What I really like is that pottery shard with the relief on it. It's pretty darned clear. Shame there wasn't more to it, pieces-wise.
Glad you noticed that :icon_thumleft: did you also see the WW underneath her neck :P the 64 is the die number I think :P

The pottery shard is high status Roman Samian ware :o this is a good sign, as there has obviously been some kind of Roman building on the field :o

SS
 
awesome stuff as usual!! banner!
 
Incredible! That Roman is a real beauty. The hammered is excellent, and the Gold is--well, words can't describe that feeling.

:hello2:

Your photos are exactly the type of high-quality, in-the-dirt photos that keep me coming back to TreasureNet for more.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
BuckleBoy said:
Incredible! That Roman is a real beauty. The hammered is excellent, and the Gold is--well, words can't describe that feeling.

:hello2:

Your photos are exactly the type of high-quality, in-the-dirt photos that keep me coming back to TreasureNet for more.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
Thanks Will :icon_thumleft: but you don't half get some funny looks from the local Villages, when they see you jumping up and down, then laying down in a muddy field, to take pictures of mud :laughing9:

SS
 
Wow...congrats... ;D :thumbsup: Banner :notworthy:
 
Silver Searcher said:
DMN said:
Gold is always nice. What is the little '64' on the reverse side?

What I really like is that pottery shard with the relief on it. It's pretty darned clear. Shame there wasn't more to it, pieces-wise.
Glad you noticed that :icon_thumleft: did you also see the WW underneath her neck :P the 64 is the die number I think :P

The pottery shard is high status Roman Samian ware :o this is a good sign, as there has obviously been some kind of Roman building on the field :o

SS

I thought the 'WW' was for washer woman, so I ignored it! :tongue3: I keed you!

I really hope you can find more of the pottery. You make a near complete pot from that and I'll banner you in a second. And then banner you for a year straight.
 
DMN said:
Silver Searcher said:
DMN said:
Gold is always nice. What is the little '64' on the reverse side?

What I really like is that pottery shard with the relief on it. It's pretty darned clear. Shame there wasn't more to it, pieces-wise.
Glad you noticed that :icon_thumleft: did you also see the WW underneath her neck :P the 64 is the die number I think :P

The pottery shard is high status Roman Samian ware :o this is a good sign, as there has obviously been some kind of Roman building on the field :o

SS

I thought the 'WW' was for washer woman, so I ignored it! :tongue3: I keed you!

I really hope you can find more of the pottery. You make a near complete pot from that and I'll banner you in a second. And then banner you for a year straight.
If I find the rest of that Pot, I will be camping in that field :laughing9: most of the outher pieces were found there to :P there is obviously some kind of building, because the farmer has said he often ploughs up huge stones, this is what lead us there in the first place and we had 31 Roman bronzes on the first visit, the Gold coin came on the second :o. The crop is getting a bit high now so this field will have to wait until after the harvest :-\

SS
 
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
Incredible! That Roman is a real beauty. The hammered is excellent, and the Gold is--well, words can't describe that feeling.

:hello2:

Your photos are exactly the type of high-quality, in-the-dirt photos that keep me coming back to TreasureNet for more.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
Thanks Will :icon_thumleft: but you don't half get some funny looks from the local Villages, when they see you jumping up and down, then laying down in a muddy field, to take pictures of mud :laughing9:

SS

I like your mud photos. :icon_thumleft:

I don't get funny looks, because I am so far out in the fields that I can take a leak when I wish, and I don't have to worry about the neighbors unless they happen to have a telescope. :D
 
This man is a machine to find good coins, he deserves all the banners and more .... vote banner. :thumbsup:
 
Holy crapola cool! I sure wish we had that kind of stuff around here. Thanks for sharing.
 
TnMountains said:
Beautiful SS. Nice. Looks like it will be another good year for you. You are off and flying already sir.
Congratulations
TnMtns
:hello:

It could be a good year, I plan on getting a Detector for doing the rivers :P hopefully it will give me a few finds over the long Summer evenings :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
I call that a banner find. Great work.
 
Silver Searcher said:
DMN said:
Silver Searcher said:
DMN said:
Gold is always nice. What is the little '64' on the reverse side?

What I really like is that pottery shard with the relief on it. It's pretty darned clear. Shame there wasn't more to it, pieces-wise.
Glad you noticed that :icon_thumleft: did you also see the WW underneath her neck :P the 64 is the die number I think :P

The pottery shard is high status Roman Samian ware :o this is a good sign, as there has obviously been some kind of Roman building on the field :o

SS

I thought the 'WW' was for washer woman, so I ignored it! :tongue3: I keed you!

I really hope you can find more of the pottery. You make a near complete pot from that and I'll banner you in a second. And then banner you for a year straight.
If I find the rest of that Pot, I will be camping in that field :laughing9: most of the outher pieces were found there to :P there is obviously some kind of building, because the farmer has said he often ploughs up huge stones, this is what lead us there in the first place and we had 31 Roman bronzes on the first visit, the Gold coin came on the second :o. The crop is getting a bit high now so this field will have to wait until after the harvest :-\

SS

Well, at least it can sit for the time being. You know what's out there now and can plan a really nice dig later this year. Good luck to you!
 
very nice finds :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF
 
Nice find! Someone on this side of the pond dug a gold sovereign at the shore a few weeks back after one of the big storms, I think it was mid 18th century. When word got out, the beach was lined with people with detectors looking for another one!
 
:hello2: :hello2:

Wow !!!!! Great finds !!!!! Love the gold !!!!! How can that not be BANNER ????!!!!!!!!
 
A double banner :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom