What's new

1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lots of Clad

SilverFox167

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
920
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
Scottsdale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Well today was pretty good to me.
I started out trying to hunt "Electric Park" found nothing but junk there.

I decided to go back to hunting the way I did in the past that got me a lot of nice finds and that is to just go and knock on doors to get permission in the older area of town.
I was avoiding this because of fear of what people might say, most of the time they just say yes. I don't know why but these houses have always been good to me, mainly because I think other people are hitting the obvious areas and overlooking the older privately owned houses.

The house I knocked on today was built back in 1835. keep in mind this now looks like a modern day house, but the capstone foundation gives away that it is and old house.

Here is a grouping of my finds and more individual and close up pictures below:
  • 1879 Indian Head
  • Pocket Knife
  • Horse Shoe
  • 1949 Wheatin
  • 1951 Wheatie
  • Everything else you see including a .38 Caliber Spent Cartridge


Metal Detecting Finds 3-24-07.webp


Metal Detecting Finds 3-24-07 #2.webp

Here is my oldest coin to date that I have found so far and I was real surprised of how great of shape it was in. 1879 Indian Head

DSCF0053.webp

Here is the reverse side:

DSCF0051.webp

There is one more picture that I am including that I call the
"Ground Assasination of Abe"
The soil conditions were actually so bad that this Lincoln cent had a hole all the way through it:

Dscf0048.webp


Thanks for looking.
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Beautiful IH!! Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Interesting theory about the fertilizer, tinkb. Might be something to it...
I was wrong about when zinc was the main metal, it was 1982. The Lincolns were changed to a Copper plated zinc. Core is 99.2% zinc plated with pure copper. The result is a weight that is 20% lighter than the previous copper cents. Total weight is 2.5 grams.
Have y'all seen the commercials for the amazing scissors that can cut a penny in half? Let them try that with a pre-1982 penny.
Scott
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Daddytopcat said:
Have y'all seen the commercials for the amazing scissors that can cut a penny in half? Let them try that with a pre-1982 penny.

Yes. They are called bolt cutters. :D
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

check this out.
http://sammler.com/coins/indian_head.htm

Also one in bad shape going on ebay for 8 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-US-COIN-187...099088113QQcategoryZ11943QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You got at least a 30 dollar coin there bubba. Its probably in better than XF. What's the grade just below proof? MS something or other. It's probably close to that since you've got the feather detail (but im not expert). That and the word Liberty seem to go first. Soak that sucker in olive oil or stick it in a potato to get the rest of that dirt off so we can see the rest of it. I have a feeling that it didn't corrode because it got that nice green patina on it (I love that color) protecting it from the environment. Nice snag man. Nice snag. I love those indians.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Its a horseshoe shaped tap plate (heel plate).


Heel Plates, steel, for affixing to the heels of your shoes, they help prolong heel life. These heel plates are 1/16" thick, but are not an authentic reproduction of 18th C. heel rims. Some of these heel plates are old and....
 

Attachments

  • HeelPlatesTN.webp
    HeelPlatesTN.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 549
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

that is one SWEEEEET lookin indian-head !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Hey Skrimpy thanks for the research on the perceived value of my coin. I looked at your link and I placed the value at around $30 also.

Actually after looking on EBay, I think it might be worth a little bit more. If you look at the "Completed Listings" you can be the judge. I can truly say that my IH is in better condition than some of those that sold at a much higher price.

Ok you got me thinking... and I am going to bring it to a coin dealer just to see what they estimate that value at.

Question, do they still make them heel plates for boots, if so I want to buy a pair for my boots!!! Man that's probably the first thing that wears out on my boots. I always treat my leather which obiviously out last the heel.

All of you are so helpful with your questions and comments. I value everyone of them.

That's what I like about this forum.

Thanks!
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

stoney56 said:
Going by the site below-it's indicaing probably closer to $55-$75.

http://pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=flying_eagle_indian_cent

I say yeah. Very easily. I don't know grading and don't have a redbook to layman grade it but my guess is that it is at least AU...could be more depending on whos grading it. See what the coin dealer says about and if he grades it higher than AU I would send it off to a pro to get graded and slabbed.
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Awesome looking finds!

Twister
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Nice Injun! ;D Yes, your ground was kind to it. Full Liberty - VF+. ;D

Those private properties are the best - it can be like shooting fish in a barrel.
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Beautiful cent!

I've noticed the same thing locally. My theory is that the copper and zinc in modern cents have some kind of a galvinometric reaction, just like on a boat. In a local park that uses fertilizer (phosphates and nitrates) the modern pennies look nasty in one or two years, but the wheats don't look bad at all. I think the dissimilar metals and acids from the fertilizer eat them up rapidly. Nickels all turn black.
 
Re: 1879 Indian ~ Abe Ground Assasination ~ Cool Pocket Knife ~ & Lot's of Clad

Great find on that 79 and you're right about the old houses. Surprisingly, most responses I get are positive; I'm bashful by nature, but an old house squelches it and I ask.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom