1882 Shot coin...but what the heck is it? Also big silver, token, and more!

These are some of my best finds from the last week or so. Today Merf and I checked out an old homesite, but it had all been graded for a new subdivision and most of the dirt was gone. We did manage to find a few neat items. The coin (I think?) is about the size of a shield nickel. It is very thin and rings up like a low conductor. It has the stars like a shield would have, but has the date on the same side as the stars. The date says 1882 clearly under the bullet hole. It also clearly says United States Of America. The back is completely worn off. Anyone have a clue what it is? Also found this button that says "Stone union made cutter". Found an aluminum token that says ? billiard parlor (can't read the first word). Also found a silver 1961 Franklin half and a 60/40 silver 1967 Kennedy half about 5 ft from each other. Finally, some sort of buckle and hair peice.

Attachments

• DSCN1410.JPG
    DSCN1410.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 906
  • DSCN1414.JPG
    DSCN1414.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 901
  • DSCN1415.JPG
    DSCN1415.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 903
  • DSCN1419.JPG
    DSCN1419.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 901
  • DSCN1421.JPG
    DSCN1421.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 910
  • DSCN1422.JPG
    DSCN1422.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 917
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice finds. I'd give anything for a hunt like that. :thumbsup:

Looks like you got yourself a shot shield nickle. Aint that a shame. :-\ They're pretty hard to come by.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gates21 said:
The only thing that made me think it's not a shield is that the date is on the same side as the stars. Normally, the date is on the side as the shield, which does not say United States of America.
Now that you said that can you show the other side because you are right

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Deepdiger60 said:
gates21 said:
The only thing that made me think it's not a shield is that the date is on the same side as the stars. Normally, the date is on the side as the shield, which does not say United States of America.
Now that you said that can you show the other side because you are right

I agree, that's a good point. I'm having second thoughts here. Shield nickle with the date on the obverse? This may turn out to be some sort of token. :icon_scratch:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gates21 said:

Yes. What U.S. coin had a date of 1882, stars and United States of America on the obverse?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
gates21 said:

Yes. What U.S. coin had a date of 1882, stars and United States of America on the obverse?
Its not a V nickle ?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
DigginThePast said:
gates21 said:

Its not a V nickle ?

The Liberty ("V") Nickel was first minted in 1883. There were some pattern coins minted in 1882 but only a few and those pattern coins have a different design than the coin in this post. As mentioned above, I'm thinking a token but what one???

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a token of some kind.. but it is cool looking :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is it was shot with a mini-ball ! :o :notworthy:

Awesome finds !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a wild guess, but are there any similar gold coins becuase I wonder if it were a copper core & Gold plated counterfiet (with all the plating off)?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeHunter said:
CRUSADER said:
This is a wild guess, but are there any similar gold coins becuase I wonder if it were a copper core & Gold plated counterfiet (with all the plating off)?

Strange One Here! Anything Is Possible I Guess :dontknow: :icon_scratch: Jerry

I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't assume it was a copper coin. Look at Silver & Gold as well, many counterfiets were made in this period. But I have no US coin books so its a shot in the dark. Probably will turn out to be a token :dontknow:

OP
OP
gates21

gates21

There is no way it is copper, it rings up very low on the conduct scale of the etrac (about nickel range). Maybe part of a 2-peice button? It would have had a flat front, not curved though. If it was a button, hopefully it was not attached to the shirt when it was shot?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gates21 said:
There is no way it is copper, it rings up very low on the conduct scale of the etrac (about nickel range). Maybe part of a 2-peice button? It would have had a flat front, not curved though. If it was a button, hopefully it was not attached to the shirt when it was shot?

Copper was just a generic term (expression) in this case, for a base metal coin. Nickel (if thats what it is) could be a core to a counterfiet as well. Although its probably not, I was just throwing the net out wide & thinking more outside the box.

DPenhead

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2009
Mocksville, NC
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It's not necessarily a shot coin. Who would shoot their money that is so hard to come by? Many coins from the 1800's into the mid 1900's were used as 'washers' by driving a nail through them. They were used in vital areas of shingling on old homes in some instances, and I believe I remember an archaeologist mentioning something to me once about them being used as an electrical connector of some sort. I just so happened to find one last week on a battlefield site/town in TN. I have owned several over the years, and my grandfather had a whole bucket of them from NM back when I was a kid.

Sounds dreamy to imagine that they were shot, but unfortunately that is RARELY the case.

DP

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DPenhead said:
It's not necessarily a shot coin. Who would shoot their money that is so hard to come by? Many coins from the 1800's into the mid 1900's were used as 'washers' by driving a nail through them. They were used in vital areas of shingling on old homes in some instances, and I believe I remember an archaeologist mentioning something to me once about them being used as an electrical connector of some sort. I just so happened to find one last week on a battlefield site/town in TN. I have owned several over the years, and my grandfather had a whole bucket of them from NM back when I was a kid.

Sounds dreamy to imagine that they were shot, but unfortunately that is RARELY the case.

DP

To bet all your buddies you could and have more money!!!Gambling was very popular and a mans reputation for being handy with a gun was important too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread