1883 Farm, out buildings and plowed over land.

Black Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
I have the opportunity to hunt on this property. The house is owned by a friend of my family. No one lives there but they use the house for family gatherings. The house is not rundown Several very old large pecan trees in the side and back yard. 40 acres of cleared and plowed land directly behind the house and on the backside of this area I am told was where the family trash dump was. I will be looking for old bottles, and old china plates and cups, etc.
Where should I start? What should I be looking for that will probably offer finds? So Far I have found silver, 2 dimes in the garage area buried in the dirt floor. In the back yard I have found lots of wire and iron. I have found several square head nails around the sides of the house. Across the road are the remains of an old stage coach stop over and blacksmith shop. Here I have found a few old horse shoes and small metal wedges.
When it warms up I will return to continue the hunt.
Any Suggestions ???

Anything that you could find in the way of bottles will likely have been busted up by the plow--if the dump was in a plowed part of the land. This should Not stop you from detecting the dump, though. There will likely be buttons, suspender clips, and occasional coin left in a worn out pocket and tossed, and many more items to be found. Obviously, the yard of the house will be a good place to detect--and the stage stop and blacksmith too.

Do research on the land. Find out when the original land was settled, and when the first deed was. Then compare that information to the age of the existing house. If the existing house is newer, then there will be another, earlier site on the property somewhere.

Best Wishes,

BuckleBoy

Two ideas for areas to search that are often mentioned are under the clotheslines and in any flower or vegetable gardens. If you can gain access to the areas under any porches you might want to search there too. Also, if you have the opportunity, talk to any of the older family members or even neighbors to see what you can learn about life on the farm in days past. Was there a favorite picnic area, did they have baptisms in the creek, where were the old structures that are now long gone? etc. From the sound of the place you have an opportunity to search a location for several years. Best of luck.

You are very lucky to have the opportunity to hunt this land for recreation. It should be loads of fun whether you ever find anything of real value or not as the real value is in the finding anyway. Where to start is about anywhere you want as things could be lost anywhere, but certain locations will have them concentrated.

Good Luck,
Sandman

After you have followed all the advice and searched to your heart's content - turn off the discrimination and search for everything. 1885 and 1884 nickels will really make your day and too much discrimination will make them go away. siegfried schlagrule

Suggestions? yeah, send an invite!!
That sounds like a place you could hunt over and over again, and you can detect with different settings. Ask about any known picnic areas or look for clearings, and do check out the old trees. Often there were hitching posts for buggies near the street side or driveway of an old residence. Old pictures may show them.
For bottles, the old buildings and outhouse locations are good, and there may be more than one dump site. I have found trash dumps near pasture edges and on or across fence lines which may be property lines. Sometimes the finds are on the surface at dump sites. If you're scouring several acres, you might ask any local hunters where they have spotted glass or dumps, maybe on other properties in the area. Just be aware of hunting season when you're in the woods. And watch out for critters. Happy hunting!

Black Jack said:
If you have freedom to roam dig everything at/above foil
give it time clean the shallow trash then the deeper older items will pop

what detector are you using?
what state?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back